• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 04:15:32 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Jon's Sprites

Started by Jon, December 09, 2009, 05:15:18 am

Lijj

Yeah...
Quote from: "GeneralStrife"It's another sprite with a dark knight head slapped on, other than that, its fine.
not big on shriners myself. But Awesome work on the Link sprite.
  • Modding version: PSX

Zozma

Quote from: "GeneralStrife"It's another sprite with a dark knight head slapped on, other than that, its fine.

I was just thinking how overused both the shrine knight costume and the dark knight are....

but i love link
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Jon

Okay, no more Dark Knights, we have an overabundance thanks to me as is. Guess what time it is?! Here's a hint (and I mean to focus only on this and start anew):
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Jon

How's this? I didn't do too much work, all I did was draw on the arms/legs and fix some shading issues (mostly around the arms and legs lol).

mav

Darken the darkest green and then fix the eyes and mouth--the solid color ain't quite working. This certainly looks interesting.

Jon

I didn't really do any work except attach the arms and legs and shade around them. I think I still have around 5 colors left btw. I just think that that sprite sheet of the cactuar fits nicely in FFT. I guess I'm just being lazy...

GeneralStrife

That's an interesting new concept. It's shaped odd but it feels much more FFT. this feels like an improvement. Well done.

Jon

I feel very cheap, but hey, better than the other Cactuar, so who cares. Its made literally without too much effort, just some shading here and there from this:

mav

Good stuff. Wow, five shades, eh? You can do a lot with that. So what do you have in mind for the critical and dead poses?

Cheetah

I have thought about using the Chocobo racing sprite as a base before, and I have to say that it is really a step in the wrong direction. Your other attempt was still better than this. You could use this as a basis, but I don't think the color, shading, or size really works with FFT.
Current Projects:

mav

Cheetah's got a good point. I wouldn't say it's in the wrong direction though, but it certainly won't be much easier than what you were working on previously.

Jon

Size is fine, its about the size of the pigs. The color can be changed easily enough once some more poses are done with GG. The shading is doesn't work in FFT? Really? Hmm, I agree, but its difficult for me to accept. I did do 1 back pose, but if this really isn't going to work, I guess I can whip out some more ideas. But that itself is the problem, I have no base whatsoever that I could even come close to to work with. Here is the back pose:

Jon

I wonder how this would look in game:

Now before you start throwing sharp objects at me, please consider this working in FFT.

Twinees

September 17, 2010, 09:11:03 am #553 Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 12:07:30 am by twinees
dont cactuars usually jump around rather than arms and legs move?
This needs a lot more depth in the palette, atm it needs a very dark green (or darker than the the darkest green atm).

Needs a longer mouth. Have u tried getting the shadowing on the cactuar correct first, and then add the cactus detail? The arms shadowing needs some work, especially cactuar.
It has potential, i can see how difficult this is though. You should get there eventually.

Smash

Some advice: Try using less than 5 colors for the green shades in total. Tweak the pallete to get good results.

Limits force you to get creative and experiment new means to make things look good. What you have now looks like gradients, and looks flat/no contrast.

Jon

I made this portrait for myself, as a Ninja. Actually, it also looks a bit like an executioner. Scary... Can you please give crits on it, but don't be too harsh, because I like it the way it is now. Just lemme know what I should change around. Thanks in advance!

GeneralStrife

It's not too bad eh....not bad, someone who knows ports will come along to give it real crits

Lijj

I think it looks good yes.. But customize the palette, and maybe take off part of Cactaur's right eye's outer-low edge. I know it came that way but it looks off. That is How Cactuar runs and it looks good. I wonder what a 5- frame cactaur would run like.

Jon

Your idea with Cacty's eye is good. It looks better. And I agree with Twinees about the longer mouth, it will be done. As for the palette, I should probably darken the entire thing by 1 stage (2nd darkest green becomes darkest, 3rd darkest becomes 2nd darkest, ect.) More work on the way! :mrgreen:
Also, my new avatar portrait which I would like to keep as my own personal avatar could use crits. I think its alright, but the voices keep telling me that there is something wrong with the shading. Stop yelling at me!!

Jon

Here is a version of the Cactuar with only 5 shades of green and a "white" background (it might not show up at all, because there is nothing there in reality). Only 5 colors, now I must tweak them to be FFT style, right? I don't know how to continue on this little guy.