• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 04, 2024, 06:01:13 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Jon's Sprites

Started by Jon, December 09, 2009, 05:15:18 am

Jon

I am working on Link, don't worry, its just that my life is really busy. I share my computer with my bro who is a graphic designer and needs it for more important stuff. I work on Link in every spare moment. I would post an update or whatever, but that would go against my new policy on here of posting finished to near finished work. Also, Sol here you go: http://ffhacktics.com/downloads.php (Next time ask for it on Help though please, not here ;) )
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Cheetah

I'm not sure about that new policy Jon, sounds like you would miss out on contructive critiques to make your efforts productive. You have lots of potential, but your products have required quite a bit of feedback. Your current Link could definitely take some tips from the other one being work one, the ears especially.
Current Projects:

Jon

Yeah, okay, thats true, not posting anything is stupid, I could make really bad sprites and I wouldn't even know it. I guess then I will only post it in sets then, like completed first two rows, completed attack and hurt/dead, ect. Otherwise I will revert to my sloppy ways. I am about 60% done with Link now, and all the arms are done. Legs are the hard part and getting the hat right. I'll post something soon.

Edit: I ran into a small snag here. What are these things on Ramza's spritesheet? They appear in the bottom right corner:

Jon

Double post! Still don't have the slightest idea what those 3 things are...but here is Link, nearly done, just a few more poses:

Also, yes I know, there are 32 colors instead of 16, no worries the other 16 colors are the almost identical version. Just 3 clicks in Graphics Gale (All Frames, Color Depth to 16, Okay it) and that little problem will be fixed. I wish I could somehow figure out how to get 2 more colors in to the 16 color limit, for 2 shades of blue, oh well, it isn't necessary.

ronan

What about a white ocarina?

(You have probably already noticed, but the arm should be corrected)

Jon

Yeah, was just an idea, but thanks, that is probably better than green. Welcome to FFH Ronan, where all your dreams come true!
Alright listen up people, I got some problems with the back, and I can't really continue because I don't want to do any stupid guess work. Can someone point me in the right direction please? I marked 1 and 4 which I believe are the right order, but can someone gimme a 100% on that? Link is about 75% done, I plan to have him 100% done by tomorrow or maybe the 2 days after that. Could someone either give me a portrait or make me one? Remember, I am horrible at portraits. I can recolor ports good enough, but making one on my own will look bad. And what are those things on the bottom right?! Here is the current sheet:

Cheetah

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1878

I believe that should have just about all the resources you need.
Current Projects:

Jon

Thanks Cheetah, hey whatever happened to those people on there? There were so many people that I have never seen before on the link on the earlier pages. Just one thing, this link doesn't answer my question about those back poses, the ones without a head, arms or legs.

@Mav: Can you please teach me how to do different color palettes? What I mean is I always see people like Lijj making whole spritesheets with like 4-5 different color palettes, which they can insert into Shishi and then you have a "complete whole" sprite which you can also use for enemy generics. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I figured out the back poses I was talking about. I tested the 95% completed Link in Shishi, and really not to brag, I must say this is my finest work up until now. I think everyone is going to be pleased with it tomorrow/day afterward. I am also thinking about doing a quick arm swap on another sheet to have all the arms facing us armored like the Shrine Knights. This will make Link look a bit like a generic Berserker from Fire Emblem. If anyone is up for it, a portrait needs to be done, I could use Kenshin's avatar, but it doesn't quite fit, my Link is more like the older ones from NES or SNES.

Jon

Crits please. Portrait please. Check it out please:

Twinees

Use the portrait that Curu made, its really well done, it needs a place in the sprite database :)
  • Modding version: PSX

Jon

Okay, I'll use the Curu portrait, it fits nicely enough to the sheet.

Thanks for the crits! I can't believe I forgot that one side pose. Also, that back view hat really makes me mad, I just can't seem to get it right. I'll work on that some more.

As for Shishi, I tested every single phase (walking, attacking, other poses) so much until it was perfect. Everything works smoothly, so no worries on the hat sticking out. Its fine.

Jon

Finished 100%. Hope you all enjoy using Link in your patches!

Edit: I submitted this in site submission. If there are mistakes, which I doubt, just lemme know.

Cheetah

After reviewing in ShiShi:
1) The rear jumping feet look a bit odd with random red pixels instead of yellow it looks like.
2) The singing frames are exactly the same with no motion. Lets see some fingers moving or some head motion at least. The white ocarina was a great idea.
3) A similar problem with the rear leg in the back animations looks like it has red around the top instead of yellow. Making it look like he has different boots on.

Overall the sprite is very good. I'm not a huge fan of the ears, and I'm sure there are a variety of other designs for Link that could still look good. But with a few touchups you could consider this well done and it is great that someone is using that portrait because it is awesome.
Current Projects:

Mimi

Good job! I'm glad someone finally completed a Link sprite.  After FFT, Ocarina of Time is one of my most favorite games.

mav

Quote from: "Jon"@Mav: Can you please teach me how to do different color palettes? What I mean is I always see people like Lijj making whole spritesheets with like 4-5 different color palettes, which they can insert into Shishi and then you have a "complete whole" sprite which you can also use for enemy generics. Thanks in advance!
Grab Zodiac's palette editor here. Basically the first 8 rows are for the sprite and the second 8 rows are for the portrait. There are functions to copy rows, copy single colors, and edit single values. I keep saying it's fairly straightforward, but I've also spent hours using it. I may make a tutorial that incorporates this program.

Good job, by the way.

Jon

Thanks everyone for the crits, especially Cheetah, your absolutely right, the rear leg in the back walking frames and the jump are a bit strange now that you pointed it out. I would've never seen that. I will fix this immediately. As for the "singing" Ocarina poses, I was thinking of having his eyes shut and he sways left to right, but that would be pretty tough. I'll work on that last. The reason I asked you Mav was pretty much for this Link sprite sheet- I want to make 4 Links, the original green, a blue, a red and a purple Link. I think I can figure this out, if its the same as GG- 1st row is 1st sheet, 9th row is 1st sheets portrait, 2nd is 10th, ect, right? Thanks a lot to everyone again!

Edit: Done, I even made the Ocarina poses move a bit. Hope the boots are better now! I even signed my work, hehe...

Kagebunji

Good job on this. I personally never played any Zelda game and have no idea who Link is, but this certainly is well done.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Jon

Ah, Kage, then you must absolutely at least give it a try. You don't have to play the whole thing if you don't like it, but I recommend highly (very highly) that you at least try 1 Zelda game, the best place to start would be TLoZ A Link to the Past on the SNES or if you want 3d graphics the Ocarina of Time on N64. I have a feeling you will love it!

Jon

This started out as an idea for a Castlevania sprite, it turned out quite differently. Perhaps a Paladin? Only took me about 1 hour or so, needs a portrait:

GeneralStrife

It's another sprite with a dark knight head slapped on, other than that, its fine.