• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

FFT: Newtype (Playable Demo in One Week, Armor Posted)

Started by Eternal248, April 19, 2010, 12:18:19 am

Eternal

Quote from: "Zenius"Dang, thats a nice lineup of monsters.

Oh, and the Performer fight down in VALKYRIES is bugged.
Try it and you will see what I mean.

That doesn't surprise me, honestly. I made that fight before I totally changed Bards/Dancers, so I need to replace them with something else.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Zenius

No, I mean the enemy Bards/Dancers in that fight are controllable (?)

Eternal

Oh, right. That. I used that battle to test them and I must have forgotten to make them uncontrollable. Whoops. >_>
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

SilvasRuin

You're giving Rafa both zombify and raise.  That doesn't sound like a great idea.  Also, you should probably make one of them the caster of every single "first" spell in those combos and then make the other one slightly slower.

I take it the fourth skills require Monster Skill?  Are are you bypassing that somehow?
Goblins:  Why not call blood fest something more traditional?  Mutilate is traditional for that, right?
Bombs:  It makes total sense for there to be ice elemental bombs, but it looks like you're slapping an ice attack on a fire bomb.  That doesn't seem right to me.
Coeurl:  In what tradition to Coeurls fling fireballs...?  I suppose giving them a more normal attack ability would be helpful but I don't quite see where this is coming from.
Skeletons:  ...you turned them into Tonberries?  That wouldn't be my first choice for what creatures to eat for that purpose, but it does make me wish there was a completed Tonberry sprite even more.
Ghosts:  They seem boring to me.  Most interesting thing about them is Wake the Dead.  Aren't there some FFXII abilities other than Dark that they have...?
Ahrimans:  I love your setup for this.  Diverse and dangerous.
Cockatrices:  Stone Gaze makes sense.  Maelstrom is an unusual ability for them to have, but it does actually make them dangerous.  I'll assume Stone Gaze has some range to it, otherwise I don't see it ever being a better choice than Maelstrom.
Dragons:  I'm afraid I don't get lightning and how it fits in with dragons.  It would make sense for a dragon to have some magic, sure, but usually I would expect a single breath attack and then a spell of the same element for greater range.  Thunder magic doesn't sit well to me if they aren't specifically aligned to Thunder.  I would more expect something non-elemental... or Dark.
Tiamats:  Sounds kind of like you're trying to make them a little bit more similar to the hydra of myth.  Making their attacks less dragonic in nature wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm a dragon fanatic, and the design you've got going for them isn't otherwise bad.
Behemoths:  I also happen to be quite fond of having Behemoths being among the mightiest of the monsters, and that you aren't making any changes to them is disappointing to me.  Flare and Maelstrom are attacks I'd want to see a Behemoth using.  Is there at least some way to modify Meatbone Slash or whatever it is called to allow Behemoths to use Meteo upon hitting critical HP?

Eternal

Quote from: "SilvasRuin"You're giving Rafa both zombify and raise.  That doesn't sound like a great idea.  Also, you should probably make one of them the caster of every single "first" spell in those combos and then make the other one slightly slower.
[/quote="SilvasRuin"]

That sounds decent enough. I can always switch it around so only Malak has Zombify.

Quote from: "SilvasRuin"I take it the fourth skills require Monster Skill?  Are are you bypassing that somehow?
Goblins:  Why not call blood fest something more traditional?  Mutilate is traditional for that, right?
Bombs:  It makes total sense for there to be ice elemental bombs, but it looks like you're slapping an ice attack on a fire bomb.  That doesn't seem right to me.
Coeurl:  In what tradition to Coeurls fling fireballs...?  I suppose giving them a more normal attack ability would be helpful but I don't quite see where this is coming from.
Skeletons:  ...you turned them into Tonberries?  That wouldn't be my first choice for what creatures to eat for that purpose, but it does make me wish there was a completed Tonberry sprite even more.
Ghosts:  They seem boring to me.  Most interesting thing about them is Wake the Dead.  Aren't there some FFXII abilities other than Dark that they have...?
Ahrimans:  I love your setup for this.  Diverse and dangerous.
Cockatrices:  Stone Gaze makes sense.  Maelstrom is an unusual ability for them to have, but it does actually make them dangerous.  I'll assume Stone Gaze has some range to it, otherwise I don't see it ever being a better choice than Maelstrom.
Dragons:  I'm afraid I don't get lightning and how it fits in with dragons.  It would make sense for a dragon to have some magic, sure, but usually I would expect a single breath attack and then a spell of the same element for greater range.  Thunder magic doesn't sit well to me if they aren't specifically aligned to Thunder.  I would more expect something non-elemental... or Dark.
Tiamats:  Sounds kind of like you're trying to make them a little bit more similar to the hydra of myth.  Making their attacks less dragonic in nature wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm a dragon fanatic, and the design you've got going for them isn't otherwise bad.
Behemoths:  I also happen to be quite fond of having Behemoths being among the mightiest of the monsters, and that you aren't making any changes to them is disappointing to me.  Flare and Maelstrom are attacks I'd want to see a Behemoth using.  Is there at least some way to modify Meatbone Slash or whatever it is called to allow Behemoths to use Meteo upon hitting critical HP?

The list of skills isn't in any particular order and I haven't decided upon which skills will be Beastmaster compatible. This is just a very rough first draft of a few plans for the monsters.

Goblins: Bloodfeast/Bloodfest is typically what their drain attack is called, but there really aren't that many instances of them draining HP to begin with, so it comes down to a matter of taste. I like Bloodfest, you like Mutilate. =P

Bombs: Chill would be given to the blue bomb (Explosive, IIRC).

Coeurls: Coeurls could use Fireballs in VI (known as Coeurl Cats, where they were normal cats found in Owzer's Mansion) and they could also use similar Fireball attacks in XI as well.

Skeletons: With any luck, the Tonberry sprite will be done soon, and I'll move the Skeleton around. Tonberries would most likely be rare encounters with a decent War Trophy.

Ghosts: In XII, they mostly stuck to casting Poison, Doom, and Dark spells. I wanted to add a Dark elemental tier of spells to be available to the player, and I figured that the Ghost is the best place to do so.

Cockatrices: Stone Gaze would probably be a linear attack, as opposed to Maelstrom's around-self AoE.

Dragons: I wanted to give the normal Dragon a ranged attack, and since the normal Dragon is thunder-based in Newtype, as it was in 1.3, I thought it would fit well.

Tiamats: I based the Tiamat family after the Tiamats in FF1 and FF2. They're more aligned with Wind now, more than anything, and they'll be able to ravage your party if you're not careful.

Behemoth: Flare and Maelstrom seem like decent choices to give them, but I worry about if they'll actually use Flare. Meteor could be an interesting thing to give them... Regarding Meatbone Slash, unless I magically obtain the ability to ASM, I won't be able to change it.

Zenius

Note:
I thought I was supposed to get ny Sagittarius?? (BTW I love your Shemhazai fight xD)

I'm getting my ass handed to me by Exodus :S No matter how many times I Mind Ruin him his spells do 999 GRR

Kagebunji

Hm, Zenius, show some screenshots of Exodus plz :)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

The HiemLICH

I'm getting my teeth kicked in at Dorter.

I've noticed that Delita and Algus will have different abilities every time I load. I'm imagining that this is because they're not in the roster, and that you don't actually have them on the team. They're just constantly guest-ally appearances until they leave, I'm guessing?

The problem with this, like I said, is that they're abilities are becoming random after each reset and reload. Not a huge issue since it's so early in the game but if I'm right and you did all guests like this, then I could see it being an issue, aesthetically speaking.

I've come close to beating Dorter, by the way. The Hunters are making it hard. If I don't shoot for them first, they pick off at least one of my members before I finish the Knight and Mage. But if I do shoot for them, I get boxed in, and the Mage and Knight end up bloodbathing my party with arrow support.

...I'm thinking of making the whole party chase the lone Hunter up on the roof.

BTW, the list is great Eternal. I fully support all those changes. VERRY FFXII reminiscent.

Eternal

@Zenius: You can win it, but you'll need a good Thief... Also, if you have 3.2, could you tell me if the Balthier and new Knight sprites are working?

@Kage: I haven't put in the new Exdeath sprite yet. I was waiting for you to put your finishing touches on it.

@Lich: Yeah, they come into each battle with their own skills, so yes, it'll be random. This was done to maintain their "guesthood", and to add flavor to each battle. I've found, though, that the Guests in later chapters don't -seem- to be as random. As for Dorter, I always sent the entire party up to the Hunter first. It's especially nice to have the high ground, especially if you use Hunters yourself. =P

Eternal

@Zenius: You can win it, but you'll need a good Thief. I'll set it as a War Trophy for the next version.
Also, if you have 3.2, could you tell me if the Balthier and new Knight sprites are working?

@Kage: I haven't put in the new Exdeath sprite yet. I was waiting for you to put your finishing touches on it.

@Lich: Yeah, they come into each battle with their own skills, so yes, it'll be random. This was done to maintain their "guesthood", and to add flavor to each battle. I've found, though, that the Guests in later chapters don't -seem- to be as random. As for Dorter, I always sent the entire party up to the Hunter first. It's especially nice to have the high ground, especially if you use Hunters yourself. =P

Zenius

Oh, Shemhazai doesn't have Safeguard. Stupid me.
Ya, Balthier and the Male Knight are working properly ^^

@Kage: Yeah, Exodus still has his Woodman sprite
Quite funny to see a Woodman casting 999 Flares/Meteors though.

Kagebunji

Quote from: "Eternal248"@Kage: I haven't put in the new Exdeath sprite yet. I was waiting for you to put your finishing touches on it.
Hm? I posted the latest version some time ago in this topic, it had fixed cape. The latest blue one that is, the gray one isn't fixed, it is just easier to copy grey palette on blue palette.

Eternal

I just want to apologize again that I'm not showing much stuff off. My sickness has taken a very bad turn for the worst, and I'm seeing a doctor tonight. I was in the bathroom, my stomach was acting up... and I could barely move, almost passed out. So, I really hope you all will excuse my lack of progress.

@Kage: If that's the finished version, sure, I'll import it.

Kagebunji

Heh, rest up a bit. While resting you may even get some new ideas :)

Zenius

Get well soon >_<

DD Progress:
NOGIAS: 4/4
TERMINATE: 4/4
DELTA: 4/4
VALKYRIES: 3/4 (Waiting for the Performer fight to be fixed)
MLAPAN: 3/4 (Rage quitted Exodus, will come back later)

Currently working on TIGER Treant Army
9 of them with over 10k HP...Jesus
But this is just right for me cause the 1.3 DD is too hard for my skill level ^^

The Damned

Quote from: "Eternal248"I just want to apologize again that I'm not showing much stuff off. My sickness has taken a very bad turn for the worst, and I'm seeing a doctor tonight. I was in the bathroom, my stomach was acting up... and I could barely move, almost passed out. So, I really hope you all will excuse my lack of progress.

Oh please.

You've updated more in the past couple of weeks than most other people that have released some type of patch. You deserve a break, especially if it's medically related. Get some rest. There's no need to apologize. Besides, like Kagebunji said, you can always come up with ideas in your down time at least.

Besides that, it's nice to see that I wasn't the only who thought of making X-Death/Exodus out of a Woodfolk before the sprite that Kagebunji put up. FFV doesn't get enough love.

With any luck, if things go well this week, I'll be able to finally start your patch on Friday since I'm finally got through armor over the weekend (such a pain in the ass), which means that I just to have finish Hats and, ugh, Helmets before I finish with Weapons.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Samuraiblackbelt

May 04, 2010, 05:24:35 pm #216 Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 12:55:41 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
problem with the sprite or the event?
the lancer hit the wizard with his spear.
the "No MP" thing popped up above the summoners head after he charged the spell

did you fix the glitch where they have to weapons but only use one?

EDIT: Don't know if you meant to keep excalibur's absorb: holy, but it's still there and it doesn't say anything about it in its description
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: "Samuraiblackbelt"problem with the sprite or the event?

EVTCHR error.

Quote from: "Samuraiblackbelt"the lancer hit the wizard with his spear.

Happens in vanilla and 1.3.

Quote from: "Samuraiblackbelt"the "No MP" thing popped up above the summoners head after he charged the spell

You can charge spells despite not having enough MP at the time of casting.  You just need to toss the unit an Ether before the CT for the Spell finishes up else you get the "Not enough MP" message.

Quote from: "Samuraiblackbelt"did you fix the glitch where they have to weapons but only use one?

Probably forced Two Swords via ENTD.  Either that or Eternal's an idiot.  ^_^

Samuraiblackbelt

Quote from: "RavenOfRazgriz"Happens in vanilla and 1.3.
does NOT happen in vanilla

QuoteYou can charge spells despite not having enough MP at the time of casting.  You just need to toss the unit an Ether before the CT for the Spell finishes up else you get the "Not enough MP" message.

I have never seen that happen before

QuoteProbably forced Two Swords via ENTD.  Either that or Eternal's an idiot.  ^_^

he supposedly fixed all of the occasions when a unit would have two weapons but use only one
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: "Samuraiblackbelt"does NOT happen in vanilla

Replicate the angle in your screenshot, not use a different one.

I just checked compared 1.3 (where this does happen) to vanilla, and there are no changes to the flags for Spears that I can see.

Make your Lancer be the unit attacking from below, as your Spear is likely passing through the feet of the unit in front.  See: Delita throwing a stone under a Knight to hit a Wizard.  Same concept.