• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Final Fantasy Tactics Remix XVI

Started by tealFOXY, July 01, 2013, 04:24:16 am

tealFOXY

July 01, 2013, 04:24:16 am Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:33:40 am by tealFOXY

(Temporary logo)
I'll try to keep this thing sweet n' simple, because ain't nobody got time for a text wall.

Currently working on
- Jobs/Class Abilities
  - Conjurer Complete until further review.
  - Necromage Complete until further review.
  - Cadet Complete until further review.
  - Field Medic Trying to reinvent this "Chemist" character.
  - Warrior Complete until further review.
  - Ranger (Was Archer) Figuring out Charge errors.
  - Thaumaturge Complete until further review.
  - Brawler
  - Sniper
  - Arcanist

I still need to...
- Think of new abilities.
- Conceptualize outfits and general looks for each class.
- Sprite jobs according to concepts.
- Fix animations for abilities. (Effects are [mostly] correct. Animations have been unedited.)

What?
This version of FFT would include a major overhaul in jobs, items, and abilities. These are the goal items, and more will be added onto them. Earlier jobs will be changed to be a bit lower powered, but still maintaining an interesting role in the field. The game takes influence from Final Fantasy XIV (ARR), and other iconic Final Fantasies past. General modifications will be made as well. Other influences include things such as ancient legends, stories, and myths in names of abilities and jobs.

Changes would include things such as:
Item edits: Appearance, name, and general modifications to stats.
Jobs: New sprites, new abilities, etc.

Current Job Ideas

Red: Melee, Physical, etc.
Blue: Magic, Spells, etc.
Purple: Mix of magic and physical.

1. Cadet: Basic trainees getting in touch with battles.

1. Field Medic: Basic medics with a keen eye for alchemy and sustaining the team.

2. Conjurer: (LV: 2(+?) Field Medic) Conjurers call upon the elements of water, wind, and the earth in nature to aid their team to a healthy victory. (Somewhat like a Geomancer for healing.)

2. Thaumaturge: (LV: 2(+?) Field Medic) Thaumaturges specialize in the dark arts of the elements around them. They are capable of dealing great destruction with spells.

2. Ranger: (LV: 2 Cadet) Archers rely on their sharp eyes to hunt down the enemy from long distances. (May also have a team buff or two. Will update/alter from vanilla.)

2. Warrior: (LV: 2 Cadet) Warriors are some of the first in, and the last out. They're vital for attracting and absorbing damage. (New status ailment, "Intimidate"?)

2.5. Arcanist: (LV 3 Conjurer + Thaumaturge) Arcanists hone in on manipulating curses and spells to boost their team through support, and degrade the opposing team with dark symbols.

2.5. Pirate: (LV 3 Archer + Warrior) Pirates are cunning tricksters in the battlefield, are masters of causing a great ruckus with their gunslinging abilities, and other trickeries to deal chaos confusion, and plundering.

3. Daitoku: Daitokus are masters of sustaining life forces of themselves as well as those around them. They are crucial for keeping the team safe and wound-free until the end of the battle.

3. Necromage: These mages call upon life and death forces to alter the dynamic of the battlefield. (New "status ailment"(?) Control [Take control of dead/undead as guest?])

3. Brawler: (LV 2-4 Warrior) Monks are masters of multiple forms of martial arts. They know how to hone in their power into punches and the mind. (Slight rework from vanilla. Mainly keeping Chakra.)

3. Sniper: (LV 2-4 Archer) Snipers deal killing blows at very specific parts of the body. Their precision and damage comes at the cost of movement and speed.

3.5 Dragoon: Revamp of Lancer.

3.5 Sage: -Info to come-

4. Seiryu: -Info to come- (Magic mastery)(Versatile [but MP expensive] class)

4. Byakko: -Info to come- (Ferociousness and style.)(Hard Assault/"DPS")

4. Suzaku: -Info to come- (Agility, stealth, and grace)(Quick Assault/"DPS")

4. Genbu: -Info to come- (Defense)(Tankish)

5. Fujin: (Female class)

5. Raijin: (Male Class)

(For those curious, Byakko, Suzaku, Genbu, and Seiryu are derived off of the four "Symbols" in Chinese astrology. Each has an element, season, and role.)
The list goes on. It is something that needs to be thought out... or ideas will just come over time!

Battle dynamics: Higher difficulties, more tactical gameplay(?)
Monsters: "New" enemies (Cactuars, etc), more challenging monsters.
Quests/Events?: Possibly throw in a new mission or two?
UI(?): I am a huge sucker for designing UI's, so maybe there could be an update or two?

I'll try to post stuff as I think of it.

Also!: I wanna know what you guys want from a Final Fantasy Tactics that you haven't seen before. This patch isn't limited to XIV ARR. It's inspired by it, but it isn't meant to be a carbon copy of it in FFT form. What are some things that you guys look for in an FFT patch?

---

I'm still thinking about it a lot and how I can incorporate elements of XIV into Tactics. I mainly specialize in the creative department of art really. I've started doing some sketches using XIV armors, robes, etc into the Final Fantasy Tactics art style. I will have to post them as they come through.

This image I did about a month ago. Completely out of curiosity to see if I could mimic the style.

---

I probably should post later as I think about the project more, but I was getting a little excited and wanted to share this with you all. If you guys have any questions about this, feel free to ask! I'm new to this, and would love to learn more about this. To be honest, I have wanted to do this sort of a thing (make a spinoff/remix) since I was a little kid!

Thank you for your time!

The Damned

(Nice to see someone wanting to do a Final Fantasy XIV remix finally.)

...Especially since I still know next to nothing about it, having kinda stopped caring about anything after FFXII and having heard nothing good about FFXIII like...ever. Hell, I keep forgetting FFXIV even exists most of the time despite recently doing...research on...something very similar. From what little I do know of it, FFXIV seems like it has a bunch of "jobs" that aren't combat-oriented at all. While realistic, that somewhat put me off from learning more about it, admittedly. [/shallow in a non-graphics whore way]

Anyway, let's not talk about FFXIII's horribleness as I have to ask several things in my usual pesky ways:

1. What, exactly, are "UI"s? It's probably something terribly obvious (to everyone else), but...yeah, probably best to not have abbreviations in the first post, at least without fully spelling them out first.

2. Is this primarily a "class patch" (read: a patch where the changes are mostly to classes, abilities, equipment and battle formations)? Or are you currently planning to do more than slight things with the story as well?

3. Is the "temporary logo" also your creation? If so, good job.

4. Are you planning on greatly changing or adding any statuses?

There aren't any other questions I have at present. As for requests, I can't really think of any. Well, that's a lie, but I feel it inappropriate to ask any when I'm (oh so slowly) already making at least two of my own patches.

...That said, given I've currently gotten rid of the Chemist class at least one of them, possibly in both of them, my request is "simple" and in a general sense, so as to not put any undue pressure on you:

I'd just like to see someone a) make Item "fair" when used to target things offensively and b) thus be able to make Item more interesting, ala the Chemists of FFV and Rikku of FFX (however respectively broken), esp. if they are to have offensive options at all. It would also be nice to have healing items be universal while more specialized "Mixes" would be what Chemist uses; I'm not "hoping" for miracles.

Other than that, I can't.... Oh, wait. I guess there is one more thing: It would be nice to see a monster type represented in this patch that thus far hasn't been in any patch. I don't really have any particular in mind, especially since I have no idea what types of monsters are in FFXIV, but off the top of my heads, here's what has been presented or "will" be represented in some patches thus far. I'll include vanilla here for completeness sake.

Also, I fully acknowledge I'm not entirely sure about anyone else's patches besides my own, so...there may be some errors there; thinking on it, I'm not sure what's in Celdia's patch still--I'll have to remedy that. Regardless, I'll skip redundancies:

1. Vanilla: Chocobos, Panthers, Bombs, Mindflayers, Skeletons, Ghosts, Uribos, Malboros, Behemoth, Dragons, Hydras, Aevises, Flying Eyes, Minotaurs, Goblins & Dryads.

2. Journey of the Five: Lamias, Werewolves, "Turtles".

3. "Embargo": Flans, Wolves, Cactuars, Tonberries.

4. Human Advancement: Antlions (probably).

I think that covers everything even though it's only four patches.

Cactuars currently have no fully working sprite as far as I know (even with something spoiled), though I think at least one person is still working on that. Antlions have no one working on them at all.

Regardless, it would be nice to see something...unusual like, say, a Magic Pot or a Mimic (treasure box or bug or otherwise) or a one of the other, plant-type creatures that aren't Ochus or Cactuars like those "Mandrakes" from FFXII. Shrug.

Good luck with this and such. I really like the description of Sniper, especially since it makes way more sense than the Sniper class that the "Lol Broken" Viera of FFT:A had.

P.S. "One more thing". [/Uncle]

Is that sprite sketch supposed to be...Asuka from Tekken? I've never played a game with her in it, mostly because I haven't played Tekken in like a decade but also because I've had next to no interest in Street Fighter x Tekken. It looks like her, though, from what little I know of her.

Regardless, good job with that too.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

tealFOXY

1. UI is User Interface. I don't know what could actually be done about this, but I like refining and polishing things... Just making em' pretty. I can't do too much since I want the nostalgic look of Vanilla FFT.

2. I suppose the core of it would be class/jobs. I might throw in a side quest/story/etc in the mix, but that's another time.

3. The temporary logo was assembled by me, yes. I didn't create the background element, merely just added it. (FFT WotL)

4. I wanted to add the two that I mentioned in my ideal classes. There could be modifications to some of the current ones as well. Are there any in particular that the community as a whole likes/dislikes/thinks that need an update?

(5.) Yes, the character is Asuka from the Tekken series. Tekken is one of my favorite games, and Asuka is one of my favorite characters in the series.

Thank you for your questions!

My question to anyone reading this is... If I really am going to try to make an attempt at this, where does one start out on a project like this?

Jumza

The UI can be changed! Just Open up Frame.bin in the program called Tile Molester. I'll see if I can find Celdia's guide to editing it for you.

EDIT: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9193.msg180397#msg180397

There it is, just follow her steps there and you can get it clear instead of a jumbled mess of pixels. I have no idea what the palette is though, so the colors are all still messy.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

The Damned

July 03, 2013, 09:06:30 pm #4 Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:25:37 pm by The Damned
(Oh..."User Interface". That makes sense.

Also, thanks Jumza.)

People generally start out with changing abilities in FFTPatcher given that's literally the first tab in FFTPatcher anyway and you generally have to try and make sure you have all the space you want for certain things before you decide what to cannibalize or combine or what have you. Even my lazy ass has done that...several times over by this point.

Other than that, Status Inflict Codes are probably the next easiest thing to change, though those are directly related to abilities, and then probably Equipment & Items are probably the next easiest thing to change independent of abilities. Class-related would be next after that, though you'll have to get used to calculating stats from the way they're presented in FFTPatcher, which can be kind of noisome. After that, even things in FFTPatcher can get kind of...involved.

*looks at ENTDs*

Oh, before I forget: If I recall correctly, then Celdia (or Xifanie) made a starter "patch" orders the redundant Status Inflict Codes without you having to do it yourself given there's...a lot of redundancy there and in the Jobs section.

Quote from: tealFOXY on July 03, 2013, 08:40:22 pm
1. UI is User Interface. I don't know what could actually be done about this, but I like refining and polishing things... Just making em' pretty. I can't do too much since I want the nostalgic look of Vanilla FFT.

2. I suppose the core of it would be class/jobs. I might throw in a side quest/story/etc in the mix, but that's another time.

3. The temporary logo was assembled by me, yes. I didn't create the background element, merely just added it. (FFT WotL)

4. I wanted to add the two that I mentioned in my ideal classes. There could be modifications to some of the current ones as well. Are there any in particular that the community as a whole likes/dislikes/thinks that need an update?

(5.) Yes, the character is Asuka from the Tekken series. Tekken is one of my favorite games, and Asuka is one of my favorite characters in the series.

1. Understandable.

2. I see. Also understandable since, outside of on-going work on Jot5 and Kokojo's own patch, thus far, "class-patches" are the only thing that have ever been completed here on FFH and are the most reasonable thing for a single person to do. [/says the non-reasonable person]

3. I see.

4. You may want to explain more on what you want with to do with "Intimidate" then. As for community consensus on any status changes, ha! I actually think that's generally the thing people probably agree on the least of any single overall aspect. The only vague consensus I think people can agree on with regards to status is that a) instances of being able to apply Invite actively are probably broken and b) Confusion, if it exists at all, should probably have a finite CT. Other than that, uh...it's mostly been up to the person or people making the patch since everyone has differing ideas even if we're still all generally using at least 20 of the same already existing statuses out of 40~.

5. Ah, okay. Good to know I'm slightly less insane than I thought.

Again, "good luck" with this.

Inviting EDIT: Ugh. I need to stop omitting things. Anyway, I clarified the fourth paragraph somewhat.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

tealFOXY

Thank you Jumza. That should help out in that department.

Well, I guess I should head over to find the Patcher. I believe I saw all the tools in some threads, but wasn't sure where to start. Abilities definitely sound like a good starting point. Finer details like spriting will have to come later.

I'll take a look at the starter to cut down some time. Thanks a bunch!

As for question 4, Intimidate would probably force an enemy to set his AI to "Fight for Life" for mainly the target who inflicted it upon them, thus, the Tank class. This is all my idea, and I have no idea how to do it (yet) or if it's even possible.

Jumza

All the tools can be found on the main page's side bar under Downloads - Tools
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

tealFOXY

How does one rename a command/item in the editor if I may ask? I haven't been able to locate a tutorial on the Patcher or a readme.

EDIT: Also, some buttons are vague and don't really explain what they do. ie/ "Evade with motion" checkbox.

Thank you!

Jumza

Quote from: tealFOXY on July 03, 2013, 10:22:02 pm
How does one rename a command/item in the editor if I may ask? I haven't been able to locate a tutorial on the Patcher or a readme.

Create a resources.zip file by hitting the top left button on the FFTPatcher and selecting that option. Inside is the data for all the lists and such.

Evade with Motion literally means what it says. When a unit that is targeted with this ability dodges it, and a large red 'missed!' appears, clicking that box will make them move, un checking that box will make them stand still.

tealFOXY

That works! Thanks.

And to the second point, evading with motion would be a melee sword swing evade as to evading fire, right?

Also, now that I've got these abilities editable, how does one put them back into the patcher? Sorry about these questions!

Jumza

After taking the .xml (thats what they are right? I forget :P ) you can just re-import them. Make sure they're in the right folder within the Resources.zip

And yeah, that's a good example of evading with motion. Sword miss vs fire miss.

tealFOXY

Alright. I've edited a few effects, names, and the associated formulas. Is there a way to give this a minor test?

Jumza

I believe you may have made a wrong turn at some point here.

For IN-GAME name changes for abilities and things like that, you have to use the FFTacText program. Changing Resources.zip just changes the name inside the FFTPatcher. Also, changing the wording of a formula doesn't do anything unless you actually change the code itself as well :/ .

For testing changes I suggest setting something up in the ENTD as a test battle with all of your changes available to you for testing.

tealFOXY

I haven't altered any formulas. I've only just associated the (what I believe to be is) correct formula with the abilities I'm changing. So if the FFPatcher doesn't change anything in game, what does it do?

Run a test battle in ENTD? I couldn't find a name similar to that, unless it's Event something. I'm still not quite sure what the word "event" is used as. I thought of events as story cut scenes and such.

Jumza

Oh, I thought up there you meant you edited the formula's in resources.zip . Sorry, my bad.

FFTPatcher does change things, like... a lot of things. Look at all of those tabs it has 0.o, but if you want to change the NAME of something inside of the game, not inside of the FFTPatcher, you need to use FFTacText. FFTPatcher can edit the ability itself, but the name has to be changed differently.

A test battle ENTD would be, for example, setting every unit in a battle to your control, and giving them the ability to use everything you've changed thus far. To change battle settings like this, go to the ENTD tab of the FFTP.

tealFOXY

Alright, so I just used Test 1. I'm starting with my Conjurer abilities, so I replaced Yin Yang (Since that's not going into that patch) with my new abilities. I made one of them an "Oracle" with "YinYang" which is now Conjuration abilities. How can I execute my battle? I patched a vanilla version of the game, but I saw no changes to the Oracle.

By the way, again, thank you for all the help. It's really awesome!

Jumza

You can't use the -test- battles because they aren't present in game (I'm sorry, I'm really not being clear enough), I suggest just making everyone in the Orbonne Monastery battle into Oracles and then selecting Control for the enemies (unless you want to see if you selected the correct AI flags, in which case you may not want to control all of them)

Make sure your importing your changes, because the FFTPatcher doesn't have an autosave function or anything like that. Just to be clear you want to be patching, not saving (you can save as well, but it won't change anything in game, it'll just save your changes as a separate file you can open again later).

tealFOXY

After some testing and experimenting,  I've run into these problems.

For some reason, after I patch my test copy of FFT, it won't allow to actually view updated changes to the game... Or maybe it does and I'm doing something wrong. I've loaded some games with no luck on seeing changes. I usually have to reset the game and start a new game. What makes it more annoying is that when I set abilities to "Basic Skills", most characters can't use most of the new abilities since they haven't learned all of Basic Skills yet. They only know the slot associated. Is there a way to fix that in the ENTD?

(Example: Alicia knows "Throw Stone". I replace "Throw Stone" with my "Aero" ability. Alicia CAN use Aero. I replace "Dash" with another one of my abilities, but Alicia never learned Dash. Alicia cannot use the new ability because she never learned the slot.)

Also, is there a way to alter names in FFTPatcher without going between Excel and the program? I noticed that when I replace the Abilities.xml in the .zip that the names do change when I do a "New Patch", but I lose all my data that isn't names such as formulas, MP Costs, etc. Am I doing something wrong? Should I not be importing the new names like the way I have been doing?

Also, how do I make a "Self" range target? I've been using the "0" range, but I know there is a self range somewhere. I also believe that I haven't figured out abilities that will target all party members and only party members, such as "Galaxy Stop", but that's for opponents. You get the idea.

The Damned

(I can't help you with the altering names thing since the most I've done, even know, is mess around in TacText moderately for things I'd otherwise forget like renaming Summons and their actual attacks.

Someone definitely knows though; just not me.)

As for the other stuff, I can help there, especially since I can just double-check FFTPatcher to make sure that I'm remembering correctly. I'm pretty sure I am since everything else is basic stuff, but since it's been a while that I've actually used FFTPatcher extensively, it never hurts to double-check:

1. Getting AI to Learn Abilities You Want to Test (When You Control Them Like Puppets): The easiest way to make sure they have the abilities you want is just to set everything to you want them to have to have a JP Cost of 0 and a Learn Rate/Chance to learn of 100%. Alternately, you could perhaps uncheck Learn with JP and, as long as Learn on Hit isn't checked off, the A.I. might learn it automatically; I'm not too sure that still though, having never tested it to my recollection.

Additionally and/or alternately, you could make sure that in the ENTD, next to the "Jobs unlocked" Class Tab, whatever you want to test has its Levels set to 8 for that fight. That will usually learn a good chunk of abilities even if you don't reduce the JP cost or up the Learn Rate or increase the amount of JP required to move up Job Levels in the Job Levels tab.

2. Range: Self and You: Yes, range 0 is generally sufficient and of itself, but if you really want "self-range", then just check off "Auto" in the bottom box of the Abilities tab. If you want to make it target the user, then just check off "Hit Caster" underneath that; I'm not even sure if you need to check off "Target Allies" and "Target Self" after that, but it never hurts.

3. Hitting All Parties: Similarly, if you want to target all party members and only party members of one group, then just make the effect area and vertical of the of the ability 255, check off "Auto" then check off "Hit Enemies" or "Hit Allies" as is appropriate for the unit or units getting whatever ability it is. You can't make the ability more discriminating than that, though, like if you have a three-way fight with two groups of enemies, you can't make an ability that will only hit all of one enemy team and not the other This provided, of course, that everything is the same between all enemies involved, i.e. one of them isn't a team of Undead units while the other is not and you're using a mass Seal Evil ability.

Does that answer everything save for the re-naming stuff?

tealFOXY

July 05, 2013, 01:26:49 pm #19 Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:05:00 pm by tealFOXY
Alright, so I got the enemies to learn all the abilities that I wanted to test, so that's awesome, however, I'm testing Necromage abilities, and most involve death/undead. (Or something of the sort.) Is the reason why a lot of hit rates show up as 00% because they're immortal? I'll actually just go test that right now to see.

EDIT: Confirmed. Immortal prevents Undead and (instant)Death.

For 2, I don't see an "auto" check box in my FFTP.

Current Abilities:

Conjuror: Nature's Grace skillset
- Meditate: Restore small amount of MP.
- Stone: Weak rock attack. (Eff 1)(Chance for slow)
- Aero: Weak wind attack. (Eff 0)
- Aero: Decent wind attack. (Eff 1)(Chance for confusion)
- Refresh: AoE Esuna with small heal. (Not working for some reason. [Cannot find target/cannot execute]) FIXED
- Vitabreeze: AoE heal with regen. (If heal hits, regen hits. (About 70%))
- Pheromones: Sleep spell. (Eff 2)
- Green Cure: Cure. Tiny bit stronger than vanilla cure. (Only hits one/ eff 0)

Necromage: ??? skillset
Altering to become a versatile character. Necromages can be odd healers through inflicting undead on party, and casting death on them for full health restoration. They can also inflict undead, and then seal enemies alternatively.
- Dark Offering: Deal fair damage at the cost of 25% HP of attack dealt. (Ex/ 40 dmg done = 10 dmg taken as well.)
- Soul Crush: Instant death. Low hit rate. (Only hits one.)
- Infectious Symbol: Zombie + Poison (Only hits one.)
- Anti Seal: Similar to Mustadio's Seal Evil. (Not working, even with Mustadio's Seal Evil formula. It will at least let me find targets, but all are at 0%/impossible, even when undead. Looking into.) FIXED
- Black Inferno: Dark + Fire attack. (Eff 1)