• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 02:03:44 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

A Curious Case of Status Effects

Started by The Damned, March 29, 2012, 07:45:46 pm

The Damned

(Hmmm...I'm going to have to delve into Help's depths at one point if I find such useful old threads just by lazily searching.)

Alas, the search function could not help me solve at least one mystery, though. As such, I figured that I should create a thread about status effects in general since I have multiple questions about them both at present and in the future (since some will doubtless come forth over time); I really don't want this to be a one-of thread if I can avoid it--Help has too many of those already, if somewhat understandably.

Right now, I have three questions, one of which is a lot more pressing than the others. I'll ask that one first, especially since Razele is no longer around to ask (read: bother) about it:

1. Does anyone know how Death Sentence status interacts with Dead status? Does it just add Dead when the countdown ends? Or is there something more complicated to it? (Basically, I'm asking this: If Dead for some reason didn't exist, would Death Sentence still do anything once it reached its countdown? Keep in mind I'm talking about before and after Razele's ASM that makes Death Sentence ignore Block: Dead.)

2. Although it has its own status slot, is Invite actually a "status" per se? IIRC, it never shows up in the status screen even when you successfully use it as the "afflicted" becomes a Guest immediately. So it recently occurred to me that I'm not even sure it needs its own status space unlike, say, how Defending actually has a status that shows up when you Defend. (Basically, I'm asking this: Is Invite's "status" condition more akin to Quick [or Golem] in that it doesn't really need an actual slot for it to still exist?)

3. What is the order that statuses occur in when applied? Is it in reverse order to the designations they're given in FFTPatcher? I vaguely remember that it is, but it's been forever since I've been able to test anything else myself, so.... (This is straightforward.)

3a. Similarly, is that order the same one that they occur for those relative few that have end-of-turn effects after they've been successfully applied? For instance, say that I had a condition like Sap that drained HP and could co-exist with Regen, which obviously heals HP. Would they occur one after the other in the order that they would otherwise be applied? Or would something else determine the order? (This is straightforward too.)

3b. Similarly, would the above occur if it were Sap and Poison, which both damage HP (by differing amounts)? ...Actually, has anyone even tested or at least been made aware of whether you can have two different types of damage from end of turn effects? For that matter, of healing or healing & damage? (This is straightforward three. ...I mean, also.)

Yeah. That first one is the one I care about the most, but thanks in advance to any useful replies. I plan to ask more later, especially once/if I can try to get my emulators back up and running so I can actually test & play things and thus answer some of these myself.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

formerdeathcorps

1. Damned, I'll let you answer your own question as an ASM exercise.  If you need help, go look at the Formula Hacking page on the Wiki.  If you're really stuck, read what Aero posted on opcodes and feel free to ask me.

2. Yes, Invite is still a status.  It is applied and after it is applied to a unit, special flags are set (to stop it from being invited back and to remove it from the party).

3. I have no clue.  I guess this will be my ASM exercise.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Choto

Here's the poison/regen routine:

http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Poison_and_Regen

Since they are the only post-turn damage/healing effects, and they are unstackable... the condition never occurs where both are applied. The routine checks if the unit is poisoned, skips if not, then checks if unit is regened, skips if not. If neither status is present obviously nothing happens. To have another post-turn manipulation... you'd have to code it yourself i guess.

If you're learning ASM, i highly suggest taking a look at the wiki routines so you can reference notes that people have made and get a better understanding of what the commands do. You may also find your answer to death sentence on there... i'm not sure though.

The Damned

(I guess it's better to respond here rather than on mIRC for the sake of other people.)

@ formerdeathcorps: Okay, will do. Nag me by April 8th if I haven't said anything.

@ Choto: I see. Unfortunately, that doesn't really answer much, at least with regards to what I asked. It actually makes me even more curious now to test to something. Hmm...I wonder if the game would just crash if you tried to group the two together or if one would just automatically override the other like how Fly seems to screw with Float (Movement).

Going that link, it seems like if something did get overriden, then Poison would probably win since it gets checked for first. Interesting. I'll try to check this as soon as possible....
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"