• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:25:35 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Dokurider

Quote from: reinoe on April 14, 2013, 06:45:20 am
You uploaded an old version of Raven's team though.  Could tell right away from the Polka Polka and Disillusion

No, his current team actually does have Disillusion/Polka Polka on it. And if I dare say so myself, he actually uses it pretty effectively. Just not well enough to stop me in the end.

RavenOfRazgriz

The team is supposed to have Polka Polka and Disillusion because in the time between Arena 1.30 and 1.38, DPS has received enough buffs that a team like Y U SO DERP can no longer outright ignore an offense and harass Speed without fights being literal coin tosses that are heavily out of its favor.  Breaking small amounts of Power and Magic let it take the edge off to survive and let the Slow Dance train begin.  The Dances should probably be redistributed to be a bit more efficient at that but it won't make a huge difference.

The fact that Y U SO DERP can now be defeated (though not always easily) by a wide number of teams is a good thing, though.  It's a team that was designed using a bunch of normally fair or acceptable skills that overlapped in a way to create something degenerate and abusive via taking advantage of the low-damage metagame of 1.30.  Basically, I designed it as a proof of concept to show a lot of problems in Arena's game balance at the time (from some JP costs to the damage potential of units and more) and once those problems were mostly fixed, the team became more like a measuring stick to rate whether your team is worth submitting than an actual metagame threat.

Which is exactly what it should be, as a team like this should not be allowed to be a dominating force in any healthy metagame.

CT5Holy

Match requested by reinoe: Two Swords for everyone! (Dol vs TrueLight)

Next match will actually be my Cruel Concoction vs Doku's Mana Missile Matrix, probably during the weekend?
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Dokurider

I had no doubt that Meatbone would be successful with Murasame, because the only consideration Meatbone has with regards to the held weapon(s) is range and apparently how many weapons you are holding. Yes, Meatbone Slash actually does trigger twice when paired with Two Swords, at least that's what I'm interpreting that extra sword swing every time Meatbone went off. That's pretty interesting. With a 250+ HP unit, you can kill any unit in the game with Double Meatbone Slashes, no questions asked.

TrueLight

Really weird seeing everyone having 2 weapons, but it was quite the match! Really nice to see Meatbone Slash, even though I was on the receiving end. GG Dol.
  • Modding version: PSX

iamBQB

Well that was pretty quick. Much appreciated Otabo. And yeah I forgot the name, only record I had of the team was from the Season 1 Tournament thread.

I had a lot of lucky breaks, so the fact I'm on the losing side of things is pretty telling. My win in the 2nd round was likely due to the Oracle(?) running out of MP. Too many non moves from my characters, I need to give them something to do every turn.

Them weapon breaks. I'm not sure if that was the best team for them or the worst, but it sure was fun to watch. I was actually angry at those 2 ninjas separating from the fight in round 3.

reinoe

Quote from: Otabo on April 16, 2013, 09:09:09 pm
Two good ones here.

FFT Arena 1.38d - iamBQB (Forgot Team Name) vs. LightningHax (Stagnant Water)

FFT Arena 1.38d - TrueLight (Air Raid) vs. reinoe (House of Dead Ninjas)

What I said nearly three weeks ago re:"House"...

-->Learned an important lesson though...I need more "counter", Revival/healing, and MP restoration.<--
And yet no edits or updates for that team in three weeks!

For a minute I was worried that Otabo was running 9P, and I got worried because that team is in the process of receiving major edits.  I could just stop being a lazy bum and taking 3 days to transfer my edits from the team builder spreadsheet to the forum, but that would make too much sense.

GG TRUELIGHT!
My dreams can come true!

TrueLight

Them Weapon Breaks. Bard deserves an award for redeeming himself for his mistake in round 2. He stayed up long enough to get those Raise 2s and timely Cures off. Ignore Height came in handy as the 2 Ninjas chased my Lancer on the top level and he jumped down in one turn while it took them a couple of turns to get back in the fight. That gave enough time for the Bard to get the Archers up. GG Reinoe.
  • Modding version: PSX

Barren

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

The Damned

(Oh good, you're okay, Barren.)

So...while after finally dealing with motherfucking Camtasia repeatedly not producing videos for literally hours on end, I now have to deal with Youtube and its (usually) spurious attempts at copyright claims.

Sigh.

So now I have to ask if people in America/outside of Japan can see these two following videos or if I'll need to redo them like I do need to redo three four other ones:

1. FFT ARENA 1.38d - (with In-Game Audio) Angelus (Scholars R Us) vs. formerdeathcorps (Sniper) [21:38]

2. FFT ARENA 1.38d - (no In-Game Audio) Angelus (Scholars R Us) vs. formerdeathcorps (Sniper) [21:38]

3. FFT ARENA 1.38d - DomieV (Restless Sleep) vs. LightningHax (Arrow Hurts) [6:38]

I should have suspected that Squaresoft would be really picky about any of its music being used, even if it's more "obscure" pieces and the one song I tried to use being disputed because of meme (though not the memetic song I expected). Konami being one of claimants, however, is pretty damn surprising, especially given that one of the tracks is less than a minute and the other wasn't even ever released.

Ugh. Time to redo at least four videos and then re-upload at least seven more because that fucked up the order. Joy.

P.S. The first and second video are indeed the same, just differing in-game audio since no one answered what I asked more than a week ago with regards to the video. I just need people to check both.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

iamBQB

I can see all three videos. I'm in the U.S.

reinoe

Quote from: The Damned on April 17, 2013, 07:30:42 pm

So now I have to ask if people in America/outside of Japan can see these two following videos or if I'll need to redo them like I do need to redo three four other ones:

1. FFT ARENA 1.38d - (with In-Game Audio) Angelus (Scholars R Us) vs. formerdeathcorps (Sniper) [21:38]

2. FFT ARENA 1.38d - (no In-Game Audio) Angelus (Scholars R Us) vs. formerdeathcorps (Sniper) [21:38]

3. FFT ARENA 1.38d - DomieV (Restless Sleep) vs. LightningHax (Arrow Hurts) [6:38]

P.S. The first and second video are indeed the same, just differing in-game audio since no one answered what I asked more than a week ago with regards to the video. I just need people to check both.

RE: the videos, I was able to view them but I was having trouble with my router.  My housemate reset the router and now I'm not able to view the videos.

RE: THE P.S...I didn't see a question about in-game audio or commentary recently.  Sorry about missing it.
My dreams can come true!

Ahong

Thank's a lot for the video Barren

Uh, now i know that my team speed is a little slow, and, not have a damage with a medium AoE. GG The Damned (i lost on the 2nd round because the two of them revived in 1 turn. Uhh.)

As The Damned said, maybe i'll go change it to Hunting Bow. Or maybe not (hope on the next path 1.39, the Bow Gun eff can work)

I'll re-edit my SAO. and quick edit on my B&D.
*Hey, sword art online opening and ending both season and english ver. Where you get it? (reply it in message)*

The Damned

April 18, 2013, 10:39:21 pm #2234 Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 12:33:40 am by The Damned
(Fucking finally. Camtasia can go get water-boarded.)

So, things are finally posted without need to redo them (again)...only I've still holding back on two videos because Camtasia literally won't let me open one of the videos with a copyright claim to re-edit it. So now I'm debating whether to re-post it & deal with the copyright right claim on "Path to Repentance" or, sigh, re-recording the damn thing.

Said "damn thing" is my own match vs. Vigilanti and my own match vs. Reks is being held up because of it presently, though I might go ahead and just post that as much as I loathe posting things out of order.

Anyway, in the meantime, here are the long delayed videos:

1. FFT ARENA 1.38d - [w/ In-Game Audio] Jumza (Down to Earth) vs. xyzqwv (All Four Bets) [22:25]

2. FFT ARENA 1.38d - [no In-Game Audio] Jumza (Down to Earth) vs. xyzqwv (All Four Bets) [22:25]

3. FFT ARENA 1.38d - [w/ In-Game Audio] Jumza (Reaction, Support, _) vs. Dokurider (Magic Shield Ms) [9:20]

4. FFT ARENA 1.38d - [no In-Game Audio] Jumza (Reaction, Support, _) vs. Dokurider (Magic Shield Ms) [9:20]

5. FFT ARENA 1.38d - [no In-Game Audio] Angelus (Scholars R Us) vs. formerdeathcorps (Sniper) Redone [21:38]

6. FFT ARENA 1.38d - Dragonblade (Hyperdrive) vs. Barren (Ragnarok) [15:24]

7. FFT ARENA 1.38d - Dragonblade (Hyperdrive) vs. Barren (Ragnarok) Bonus [9:20]

8. FFT ARENA 1.38d - reinoe (Machine Gunners) vs. DomieV (Famous Knights) Redone [10:10]

9. FFT ARENA 1.38d - reinoe (Machine Gunners) vs. DomieV (Famous Knights) Bonus [5:09]

10. FFT ARENA 1.38d - Barren (Edible Oils) vs. DarkxFatal (Shadow's Call) [6:18]

11. FFT ARENA 1.38d - Barren (Edible Oils) vs. DarkxFatal (Shadow's Call) Bonus [3:11]

12. FFT ARENA 1.38d - DomieV (Restless Sleep) vs. LightningHax (Arrow Hurts) Redone [6:38]

13. FFT ARENA 1.38d - DomieV (Restless Sleep) vs. LightningHax (Arrow Hurts) Bonus [2:22]

14. FFT ARENA 1.38d - Otabo (Spellstorm) vs. CT5Holy (Wizard Stuffs) Redone [10:41]

Quote from: reinoe on April 18, 2013, 03:29:17 am
RE: the videos, I was able to view them but I was having trouble with my router.  My housemate reset the router and now I'm not able to view the videos.

That would be because I deleted them last night around midnight after re-editing things. Sorry for the confusion, but I just didn't want to bother with "blocked countries", especially when it won't tell me WHAT countries are blocked (and why).

Quote from: reinoe on April 18, 2013, 03:29:17 amRE: THE P.S...I didn't see a question about in-game audio or commentary recently.  Sorry about missing it.

Meh. You're hardly the only one. At least you have the excuse of missing it; I'm not sure what other people's excuses were, Raven aside since he already said he doesn't really follow ARENA anymore.

I should probably stop using bold so much regardless.

P.S. GG Ahong.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

CT5Holy

Ooh, that Bolt 2 + reflected Bolt 2 in R2 was sweet.
That said, after seeing how things went in R1, not surprised at the result, gg Otabo.

Also, Cruel Concoction vs Doku's Mana Missile Matrix

Dokurider

I don't know how that Monk went after everyone, but if it wasn't for that Monk, those Holys would not have gone off.

CT5Holy

My Monk was fast enough at 11 speed after the opening Quickening. Just barely fast enough.

The Damned

(Nah. I realized it. I'm debating whether I should tie-breaker with the current versions of the team or updated versions if either one of them does.)

Oh, and since I forgot to ask last time: Barren, typically, how do you deal with copyright claims (since you're the only other person to use music in videos)?

Or has that just not come up for you?

Regardless, I'll probably post up the last two videos after I (actually) update my patch threads later today.