• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:05:46 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

The 'proving FF13 fanboys are full of crap' challenge!

Started by DaveSW, August 15, 2011, 11:42:31 pm

DaveSW

I keep hearing from FF13 fanboys that all the previous FF's can be easily beaten by only using Fight and Cure.
So, lets put that to the challenge, eh?

The rules are simple: In any of the first 12 FFs, you are only allowed to use the fight command, and the Cure line of spells.  Certain other limitations apply to some of the games:

FF 3: Any class that doesn't have the fight command is banned.
FF4: If you are butch enough to try this with the DS version, no augments.
FF 6: No Espers.  No Relics that change the fight command.  Locke can only steal in his scenario, otherwise, the game could not be beaten.  Gau is banned.
FF 7: No Materia except Restore can be equipped.  Limits must be set to Level 1 at all times.
FF 8: Draw can be used, but only to get the Cure spells. No Limit breaks.  Edit: Summons cannot learn any new abilities.  You only have access to the ones they start with.
FF 9: No using the magic stones to equip passive abilities. No synthesizing.
FF 10: The sphere grid can still be used, but ability spheres can only be used on the Cure spells.  No customizing equipment. No overdrives.
FF 11: Yeah... Good luck with this one.
FF 12:  The License Grid can still be used, except for the block of passive skills.  Only the Cure spells can be bought.  Otherwise, only buy equipment.

So yeah, basically the only thing you can do is Fight and Cure, and anything needed to get access to Fight and Cure, but no more than that.
I am currently trying this for FF6 and FF7, the two that I find to be the easiest.  I wonder if it can be done?
I am awesome.

GeneralStrife

I don't know, but I will never own a ps3 and I hear 13 is crap anyways.

Shade

Upupupu...

Zetsubou

DaveSW

Oh, I forgot one more stipulation for FF8:  Summons cannot learn any new abilities.  Only use the ones that they come with.
I am awesome.

Shade

Quote from: DaveSW on August 16, 2011, 01:47:39 am
Oh, I forgot one more stipulation for FF8:  Summons cannot learn any new abilities.  Only use the ones that they come with.

Quote from: Shade on August 16, 2011, 01:36:34 am

I can do that FFVIII hands tied to my back.

Still easy as hell when you turn cards to magic an equip.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

DaveSW

You can't.  G.F.s can't learn new abilities, therefor Quetzalcoatl cannot learn Card mod.
I am awesome.

Shade

Quote from: DaveSW on August 16, 2011, 02:16:13 am
You can't.  G.F.s can't learn new abilities, therefor Quetzalcoatl cannot learn Card mod.

lol, that has nothing to do noob, you can have cards by having card battles meaning that you don't need to turn monsters to cards. and some GF's come with the ability to turn cards to magic so GG.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

Kaijyuu

Could pretty easily be done with FF6. Only potential issue is status ailments.

I presume Life/raise dead/etc are usable? They seem to fit the "all you need to do is mash attack and occasionally heal" model. Which, to be honest, I'm completely agreeing with the "ff13 fanbois" on if that's what they're claiming.
  • Modding version: PSX

Shade

Basicly only those were the monsters grow stronger as you do(FFVIII and FFXII), are actually hard to do,but FFVIII is still pretty easy(especially once you get the bahmuth that that cam turn cards in magic without having it learned). So I'd argue FFXII is hardest one of these, just because you can't use quickenings(broken IMO), but then again I only used attack, Item, quickening and healing spell in that one(basicly doing what is done in the challenge lol), but can't you basicly do FFXIII too with just cure and attack command?
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

DaveSW

Ok Shade, don't call me a noob.  There is only ONE ability in FF8 that lets you turn cards into items.  That ability is Card Mod, an ability that Quezacoatl does not start with. So GG to you, idiot.

And no, Fight and the Cure line of spells only.
I am awesome.

Shade

Quote from: DaveSW on August 16, 2011, 11:00:48 pm
Ok Shade, don't call me a noob.  There is only ONE ability in FF8 that lets you turn cards into items.  That ability is Card Mod, an ability that Quezacoatl does not start with. So GG to you, idiot.

It's a good thing that we are talking about magic since thought I'd just say it wrong(sorry), but I still can get magic by turning items to magic, so it's stilll the same thing.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

MysticKnightFF5

That's also GF abilities, which none of them start with.

Shade

Quote from: MysticKnightFF5 on August 22, 2011, 09:25:28 pm
That's also GF abilities, which none of them start with.

Expect with bahamuth. And this a fact. I checked it twice before you even posted.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

RandMuadDib

I just find it hard to believe that there is such a thing as a FFxiii fanboy. Game had loads of potential, but the story was a blown up Fullmetal Alchemist (well the brotherhood series anyway) and the battle system was fairly boring. Everyone i've talked to or seen talk about FFxiii has pretty much said "not awesome"

I'm not saying that i don't find the idea of a FFxiii-2 intriguing, and i will most likely pick it up when it comes out, in the hopes that they fixed at least some of the things i disliked.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

MysticKnightFF5

I'm waiting patiently and with much excitement for Agito / Versus.
I don't see why, instead of proving every previous game can be beaten with only cure and fight, you beat this one with only cure and fight, and prove it's on the same level.
Saves time and energy IMO. (this, of course, excludes any part in the game where the programming forces you to use something different, as I'm sure there's lots of that)

Kaijyuu

I'm pretty sure the argument is about simplistic gameplay. Now, I've heard a lot about ff13 but never have I heard it called complicated.

In reality, all the old FFs are simply attack and heal when necessary. There's little in the way of strategy. That's what they're pointing out... what they're failing to recognize is that it's more than the battle system that makes up gameplay. All the old final fantasies at least had dungeon exploration. Not to mention all the other non-linear stuff. Look at FF5, which is probably the most complex of the numbered final fantasies: optional super bosses, last third of the game being completely non-linear, and job system. Battle system can still be distilled down to attack attack attack heal attack attack attack heal....

I kinda forgot what point I was trying to make, but suffice to say that FF13's battle system isn't a huge step down; everything else is.
  • Modding version: PSX

MysticKnightFF5

That's why I love the Mystic Knight job.
It takes attack to a whole new level. XD

FFMaster

August 24, 2011, 04:11:36 am #18 Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 04:17:01 am by FFMaster
Considering people have won without even equipping a GF, FF8's one looks the most possible. Stay as low level as you can, abuse that level system to hell and back...

I'm actually right now looking at FF7's one though, since I know it pretty much inside out. You haven't restricted equipment, so it looks like a simple one. Buy a bunch of Cure materia, work with stuff like Nail Bat until you get better weapons, maybe a bit of grinding.

Good Luck with the other ones though =p

PS: I don't care about proving the fanboys right, a challenge is always good and fun =p

EDIT: What about using items outside of battle, like Potions/Tents? Y/N?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Dome

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"