• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 01:15:29 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Chrono Compendium hacking projects go down

Started by FFMaster, May 11, 2009, 04:07:00 am

DarthPaul

May 13, 2009, 04:55:31 pm #80 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "Zodiac"... Who owns a fucking SNES anymore? How the fuck can it affect the DS' sales.

I own an SNES, it is the magical system.

Also I understand why SE would do this, and they have every right to shut down CC. On that note though I don't believe it was necessary. What I believe SE is really doing is what they always do, relive past success. I don't want to see another rerelease of CT I would like to see a sequel or a full upgrade. The game was great, but I have played it to death. No more I say! CT should be laid to rest like the dead legend it is.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

mav

May 13, 2009, 05:26:56 pm #81 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
Quote from: "Kuraudo Sutoraifu"My statement allowed for other reasons beside money; if they are shutting it down for qualities sake, they should evaluate it for quality.
I agree Kuraudo, Square should evaluate the game if they're concerned about quality, but I guess that's not the kinda dance they'll do. Part of it stems from the fact that the C&D was sent from the legal department, the creatives probably haven't ever heard about this. If Square contacted members of the original Chrono Trigger team, that would have been fantastic--since they're the kind of people that might give this a second thought...

Archael

May 13, 2009, 05:53:05 pm #82 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
The Legal Department is told by the higher-ups about what they have to do and who they have to send C&D letters too. I highly doubt Legal departments act and send C&D letters to everything they think is infringing IP without first consulting it to a higher-up. Rite?

DarthPaul

May 13, 2009, 05:57:05 pm #83 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "Voldemort"The Legal Department is told by the higher-ups about what they have to do and who they have to send C&D letters too. I highly doubt Legal departments act and send C&D letters to everything they think is infringing IP without first consulting it to a higher-up. Rite?

It highly depends on how the company works. There are some companies that expect their legal department to go about making sure everything is fine, without anyone having to tell them what to do. As a VG company goes though I think you have the right of it in that they cannot always trust the legal department to know when someone is going too far. Unless they have already set up guidelines.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

May 13, 2009, 08:00:03 pm #84 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Quote from: "mav"If Square contacted members of the original Chrono Trigger team, that would have been fantastic--since they're the kind of people that might give this a second thought...

They are encased in carbonite at Square headquarters as statues, to be wakened should Square ever fall on hard times.  So, that's a no go on speaking with them.  Likewise with the FF7 team which is why most FF7 nowadays either rewrites FF7 history of has some goofy storyline.

Archael

May 13, 2009, 08:12:58 pm #85 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "darthpaul"
Quote from: "Voldemort"The Legal Department is told by the higher-ups about what they have to do and who they have to send C&D letters too. I highly doubt Legal departments act and send C&D letters to everything they think is infringing IP without first consulting it to a higher-up. Rite?

It highly depends on how the company works. There are some companies that expect their legal department to go about making sure everything is fine, without anyone having to tell them what to do. As a VG company goes though I think you have the right of it in that they cannot always trust the legal department to know when someone is going too far. Unless they have already set up guidelines.

I see

I wonder if SE's legal dep was ordered by higher ups to take care of the CT IP issues and send the C&D

or if their legal dep just goes ahead and C&D's whatever they see as a threat

mav

May 13, 2009, 08:51:50 pm #86 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
I've been wondering the same thing...I mean, it's not like the legal department can just do willy-nilly, but at the same time it's seems absurd for the Square elite to have to deal with something so petty. Perhaps the legal dept found the hack, reported it, and were given the okay to close it, while the higher-ups really didn't give it much thought.

DarthPaul

May 13, 2009, 10:08:40 pm #87 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
These are the Japanese we are talking about. What I find odd is that normally they embrace fan makes of their stuff. Be it patches for games, doujinshi, or even a lowly plush doll. Because they see it as the potential to bring in new people to their franchise. The fact that SE says no to CC means they have foregone the norm for a Japanese company/product maker.Unless of course it is the North American version of SE. Which would mean they obviously did not contact their counterpart about it. Meaning SE is not to blame, but greedy American CEOs.

Xifanie

May 13, 2009, 10:11:55 pm #88 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Quote from: "FaustWolf"Much agreed that the C&D was poorly worded.
...They are Japs! Not being racist or anything but they start learning English so late that most of them seriously suck at it.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

LastingDawn

May 13, 2009, 10:22:20 pm #89 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well no... you should really read the one sent to Chrono Resurrection that one was written very well and wasn't condescending. It also mentioned the certain law firm that they were representing and it was definitely a Japanese name. Also I doubt that is the work of Japanese people if it's coming out of California.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

FaustWolf

May 13, 2009, 10:51:37 pm #90 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FaustWolf
It would be hilarious if the C&D given to Resurrection was written by Japanese lawyers and the C&D given to the Compendium was written by Square-USA lawyers.

Oh, wait, reading LastingDawn's post...looks like that may be what happened. Hmm!

Havermayer

May 14, 2009, 01:16:10 am #91 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Havermayer
Wait, I'm confused.  I thought that if they weren't profiting from it in any way, the they can do whatever they wanted.  How could they be legally shut down?

Asmo X

May 14, 2009, 02:56:54 am #92 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Read the thread Havermayer

tithin

May 14, 2009, 04:28:24 am #93 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by tithin
Quote from: "FaustWolf"It would be hilarious if the C&D given to Resurrection was written by Japanese lawyers and the C&D given to the Compendium was written by Square-USA lawyers.

Oh, wait, reading LastingDawn's post...looks like that may be what happened. Hmm!

http://www.chillingeffects.org/derivati ... iceID=1416

some things of note;

1) Was sent by a genuine law firm, not a generic "Square Enix Legal Department"

2) Refers to Square by their trading name.

3) Is far more civil than the new one.
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Hey, Cosgrove, how come you never married?"
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Because I eat too much meat."
14:46  @Celdia          ò Heresy. No such thing as 'too much meat'
14:47  @Celdia          ò One night with tithin would teach you that.

Archael

May 14, 2009, 11:51:57 am #94 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
shit.. I had forgotten how the C&D sent to CC: Resurrection went

worlds difference between the two eh

FaustWolf

May 14, 2009, 02:52:40 pm #95 Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:57:42 pm by FaustWolf
Yes, we have certainly noted the difference in language, tone, and professionalism between the two C&Ds. It's unfortunate that two Compendium members have been able to get through to SE legal and confirm that Square Enix did, indeed, send this. And I remain fully convinced that this is not some kind of sick promotion strategy for Crimson Echoes -- otherwise Square Enix certainly WOULD find out about the mod now that it's being talked about all over the Internet. Plus, I'd be royally pissed that all my work on new tech coding went to waste. And 30 hours of tech coding only makes me "tangentially" involved in the production of CE compared to what the core three-member team put into the project.

Archael

May 14, 2009, 02:56:17 pm #96 Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:11:48 pm by Archael
Yeah I believe you, as shitty as the new C&D is...

Because if it was fake, Square would come out and say they issued no such C&D in their own defense, and probably want someone accountable for spreading lies about their legal dep

FaustWolf

May 14, 2009, 03:00:11 pm #97 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FaustWolf
Interesting observation. I was worried that SE's continuing silence might suggest to people that the C&D was fake, but given the fallout, it would be in SE's best interest to put down such a rumor. To up the ante, we'll be releasing gameplay footage of the beta to keep the story alive, and keep the heat on SE.

This may be the beginning of a freedom-in-modding revolution.

DarthPaul

May 14, 2009, 03:38:40 pm #98 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
That is a good plan if it could give game modders more freedom for their exploits. The problem I find is they may decide to go after you for having gameplay footage of a game you destroyed. It does not make sense for them to do so, but the C&D on a non-profit project makes little sense either. They obviously are looking to uphold the "integrity" of their all-star game and may decide that you are trying to "steal" the idea from them. While this is clearly not the case, the law will side with them because they not only own the game, they have the money for a better offense then you guys can afford a defense for. This is why I believe the judicial system is corrupt, it should not matter how much money you have but what the law actually says. Also the law is up to the interpretation of the judge. Which means the law is different depending on which court room you are sitting in. Which is bullshit, the law is the law and is clear enough that interpretation should be illegal because it allows corporations to infringe upon the right of their consumers to retain "rights" the corporation never actually held in the first place. I understand the concept of "intellectual property" but in all honesty the concept is iffy in the way it is interpreted.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

May 14, 2009, 03:40:52 pm #99 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
^What he said.  There's no way any part of the US gov't would ever side with us;  we don't have money.