• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:41:49 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

An Idea (Zombie Mod)

Started by Dome, February 04, 2011, 11:03:31 am

Dome

February 04, 2011, 11:03:31 am Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:05:22 am by Dome
I had this idea, and I wanted to throw it here (I'm not going to work on this patch, just wanted to share the idea with you...maybe someone will like the idea and work on it)

A Zombie mod
I had some Idea I think it would work nice for a small patch

Some random idea:
- This patch should be 1 chapter-long (1 intro fight + 10 story fights)
- Every spot on the map has 100% chance to trigger a random battle [Moving from place to place will be painfully hard]
- Every random battle contains a huge number of enemies, and allows the player to deploy only 3 units
- Ever unit gains half of the exp points, and maximum level is 10 [Hard to level up, and won't help much stats-wise]
- Every player unit should have 10 hp and gain 1 point for each level up
- Every player unit should have 1 mp and gain 1 point each 2 level up
- Speed, PA and MA shouldn't increase at all (With fixed stats, it's easy to calculate the damage output of abilities-weapons and the hp of monsters)
- Each action gives your unit 25 Jp
- Maximum roster of playable character is reduced to 6 (No huge numbers)
- No way to resurrect characters if they are KOed (No phoenix down - Raise - Revive and so on)
- Each unit is considered a "Special" unit, in a FFTA-esque way (You cannot change job)
- Only 4 classes available to the player (Warrior - Medic - Engineer - Sorceror) and a special class for the main character (That should work as a "Jack of all trades, master of none" class)
- Every unit can only use his job skills, and can't equip other skillsets
- No soldier office (Guest units have a chance to appear in each random fight, and join at the end of the fight if they survive)
- Hp granted by equipped items drastically lowered, no mp granted with items
- No shops available to the player (Each battle -story and random- should give you 3 random, equip low-level equipment)
- Higher level equipment available as a reward after finishing story fights

About monsters
- 3 monsters: Zombie (Slow-high hp-Can inflict statuses with his attacks), Vampire (Fast-they teleport-Attack using magic - float innate), Ghoul (Huge monster with huge hp, they do massive damage)
- Monsters will have a skillset, with a 50% to learn each ability (In this way you will never be sure of which skill the enemy has)
- Undeads will always resurrect with half of the HP at the end of the KO counter
- Some enemy should be an undead version of some class

About classes
Warrior: Can equip swords, his equip items allow him to avoid some attack and have the most Hp of all class. Can do the most damage of all classes, he has no skills
Medic: Can only equip self-defense knifes, he is the only class that can heal hp and remove statuses
Engineer: Can equip guns, and his skills allow him to buff his allies (Protect, shell)
Sorceror: Can equip knifes, masters High damaging spells (But there is no way to recover mp in-battle)
Main character class: Can heal (Only 1-2 hp), low-level swords and guns, can use some base magic and use some base buff

About items:
- Items are used to boost the stats (PA and MA, but not speed) and to give some status immunity (Enemies will inflict a lot of statuses)
- Guns have low damage but high range (Rifles will have huge damage output but low range, and can be equipped only by low-hp units)
- Swords are the same as the normal FFT
- Self defense-knifes do cheap damage, but they are better than fighting bare-handed
- Armors grant high hp and slow, and are equippable only by warriors
- Clothes are equippable only by engineers
- Robes are equippable only by medics and Sorcerors
- Main character can equip low-tiers version of each kind of equipment

Put all this together, and you obtain a small patch focused around the survival of a small group of survivors in a hostile ground :-) (and a nice patch to play)

What do you think?

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Eternal

Wasn't CCVamp working on a similar patch, where there were different types of guns?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Dome

Yeah, but I haven't seen any upgrade for that patch xD
I wonder if she is still working on it?

Cheetah

Interesting concept for sure. I feel like the hp and mp are set at such low levels that you will be limiting your variability in damage output. Have to find a happy medium between ridiculously odd numbers and too limited variety.
Current Projects:

The Damned

Hunh. I could have sworn that there were a few more posts in here. Regardless, I had something rather lengthy last night to post before I fell asleep at like 3:00 A.M., even after seeing Cheetah's rather elegant assessment. "Problem" is that I've now forgotten. (It doesn't help that I just realized that Cheetah's avatar subtly moves.)

You lucky bastards.

That said, it does sound like it could have some potential. I think what I was going to ramble on about is plot-related stuff, i.e. what type of plot would lead to this that was at least still tangentially-related to something within FFT.

If nothing else, at least recent pokeytax's hack guarantees that stats can't progress if you don't want them to.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Cheetah

Thanks for noticing Damned, you are only like the forth person to comment on it. It has been like this at least a month :).

I think one of the best parts about this patch is that it doesn't necessarily need a story. It terms of time and payoff, most projects stall because a focus on story. If the idea is about a fun gameplay scenario, then just remove the story completely, why take the weeks it will take to set a nice event if the player will only spend 2 minutes watching it.
Current Projects:

Dome

It would also be a very nice patch to show to others...
I mean, it would be the first patch that fully reworks the game :-) (and without even requiring much event editing, if any at all)

The Damned

(No problem about the avatar, Cheetah. Just wanted to confirm my already waning sanity, really.)

I know that the story wouldn't be huge selling point or even a necessary one. I've just been trying to think about how I would do this if I did it and, for me, story is rather important in pretty much everything. I mean, it would at least have to come up at the beginning and the end I'd think and you want it to at least be consistent even if it's utterly open-ended.

Also, I'm well aware that event editing eats up a lot of time.

I suppose, and I think this is what I was going to get into last night, that it just seems odd to completely excise Final Fantasy Tactics fantastic story, even with all of its potential flaws, entirely just so that you can make some generic-ish zombie mod. I guess I must admit that the zed word is largely boring to me outside of inventive exceptions like Shaun of the Dead or World War Z (which I still need to get around to reading like most things even though I've had forever). It similarly seems utterly mystifying to have to excise everything story-wise when Undeath and Vampirism statuses already exist and just have it be some random zed-outbreak in Ivalice just because.

Again, I'm not saying that it couldn't be done (well) without the story, but that even if you can indeed (and would have to) get rid of a lot of the story, that you needn't necessarily get rid of all of it or, at least, have the game be devoid of anything but the barest essentials. Zombies are just so...generic as it is that it seems like they need something else, especially if you're minimizing everything as it is. Just throwing waves of bodies at people seems like it has the potential to become tedium or, worse, plain boring without doing a little something extra.

Those are just my opinions on the matter and, at present, I have a bunch of other more pressing things to do that I'm still not doing, so I doubt that I'll get around to doing this patch, soon if ever, even if no one else ever does.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Dome

Quote from: The Damned on March 09, 2011, 06:50:16 pm
I have a bunch of other more pressing things to do that I'm still not doing, so I doubt that I'll get around to doing this patch, soon if ever, even if no one else ever does.

Sadly, the same goes for me...that's why I posted those ideas...I hope someone will like this ideas and starts working on it...

Pride

I would be willing to do the world map, attack.out, and (some?) events for this if others wanted to do the dialog, plot, battle mechanics, etc. as long as it keeps the events and battles to a lower amount. I don't have time to do everything for such a project when I still want to keep focus on my current patch.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Dome

September 06, 2011, 08:00:00 am #10 Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:01:31 am by Dome
Bump, because I truly think this is an awesome idea and deserves some love (I might even work on it after the next, -hopefully- FFT: Plus final, bugfree release)

JBab

The Idea of this Patch is rather amazing, the concept in general is nice.

The Patch seems like it could be a hardened Hellmode of some sort, would be nice if it was actually made i could actually see this patch being some sort of event if it was made before Halloween(LONG SHOT) but in general id be looking forward to this very much (Who doesnt like killing Zombies!)

@Dome cant wait to see it happen

Flan Dance!

RandMuadDib

September 06, 2011, 04:18:49 pm #12 Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 04:19:58 pm by RandMuadDib
A zombie patch would make a paladin a worthwhile class to create... turn undead, smite undead, <insert other d&d inspired abilities here>
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

JBab

@Rand love the D&D reference :shock:

yeah no doubt although maybe a tid bit OP seeing as they specialize in crucifying the Damned

id like to see it no doubt :more:

Flan Dance!