• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:48:30 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Can life drain/spell drain formulae be altered?

Started by Talcall, January 29, 2020, 04:31:01 am

Talcall

Is it possible to change the formulae for spell drain and life drain such that instead of
hit_F(MA+X)% No Status, Magic Evasion,
it uses
hit_F(PA+X)% No Status, Physical evasion?

I'm trying to make oracle into a spell blade, which is more physical damage with a magical twist, so i thought this would better fit. Thanks!

Edit: Side note, I may also like to change AbsorbHP_(Y)% to AbsorbHP_(WP*PA) for life drain
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
""The only thing more hardcoded than FFT, is more FFT."
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall
  • Discord username: Talcall

Xifanie

January 29, 2020, 07:44:41 pm #1 Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 08:00:56 pm by Xifanie
Well, yes of course it's possible.
http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/10_AbsHP_(Y)%25_Hit_F(MA%2BX)%25

You'd just want to change the Magic Evasion call to a Physical Evasion one, and you'd need to make an altered copy of the (MA + X)*Faith% subroutine to make it (PA + X)*Faith%, which would require some Kanji space.

And for the damage you can just replace it with Night Sword's damage subroutine, so:
jal 0x00186624           Calculate damage as % of HP
nop

to

jal 0x00185dd8            Load WP and PA
nop            
jal 0x001886a4            Physical Damage Calculation (Does not allow elemental.)
nop            
jal 0x00187248            HP Absorb
nop

Of course this too would require kanji space, so you might as move the whole routine to kanji space.

I could be off on a thing or two, but formula edits are usually easy as hell thanks to all the amazing documentation provided by Glain and Choto.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Talcall

You say I'd need to move the whole routine to Kanji space (which I'm guessing is free space? googling what it meant didn't help too much... :cry: ), is there anywhere that this would be safe to do so with? and are there any other abilities that use these formula that would make it dangerous to edit these?
otherwise, thank you very much for letting me know, and if you can't answer I'll try my best to simply edit the routine! with everything documented, it's pretty easy to backtrack.
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall

Raijinili

You should search Kanji Space on this forum's search engine. It sounds to me like hackers use space allocated for Japanese characters to instead put their ASM code (since there's no need for Japanese in the EN version). That kind of thing will be specific to FFT hacking.

On the wiki, there's the Hacked RAM page, which seems to list RAM locations that certain hacks use, so that others can avoid those spaces.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Talcall

I tried searching those keywords using the engine, but all i found was a link back to this thread here. (nevermind, was searching through only this thread. still need to get used to that) I will keep your assistance in mind though, and will certainly consider repurposing that space
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall