• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 09:04:09 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

My first portrait

Started by h0ndman2, August 12, 2010, 01:10:26 pm

Kagebunji

Scar looks better, but two things, hair is outlined(outlining is that black line around collar for example), and browns are too dark when compared to skin, that fur is completely out, just use Gaffgarion's fur.

Here is the link
http://www.ffhacktics.com/sprites.php
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Smash

Quote from: "h0ndman2"changed a bit of Squalls shadow, and increased the size of his collar and lighter scar.
You are working on a 64x96 canvas. FFT's portrait canvas measures 32x48.

Here, I resized it for you:
[attachment=0:364mklt5]Ref.png[/attachment:364mklt5]

You should pixel at x1 size at all times. Once you finish, then you can upload the end result at x2 or x3 for people to look closely. Never modify at higher resolutions, as it's unessesary and does not fit FFT.

h0ndman2

Really? Thanks Smash. But I really sucj with the sprites, so I dont even know Iv Ill put it in the game. Well maybe someone else would like to use it. Kagebunji, I'll fix Squall further tomarrow.

Zozma

I think it was mentioned before but you don't really need to work on a squall port because a good one already exists. and edgar? well, i have to agree that you should totally re-do it. id suggest cut/pasting parts of other hair/face/collar etc in order to avoid as much "from scratch" as possible...
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Jon

Haha, your Edgar made me laugh out loud to be honest. Don't take it wrong or get discouraged, but it sucks. It looks like some weird chibi version of Edgar. Its disgusting man! Start over please. And sorry if I insulted you in any way, don't put me on your black list. Squall is actually looking okay, but like Kage said, (and listen to Kage, Zozma and Smash, they are always right) use Gaffgarions shoulder fur, then change that slightly if you are not happy with it. Also the very top of his head looks a bit cone like, just make it a bit rounder and the hair will look a lot better. I actually like the scars color, but yeah maybe change that a bit too. Don't give up, just keep practicing, I think thats the best way to get better and quicker at getting better, if that makes sense >_>
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

h0ndman2

o_O That didnt really make me feel any better. Ill change Squall later, and I might try Edgar later as well, Im not sure since I think long hair is hard to make. I'll keep practesing, and post the ones I didnt really do good as well so I can get advice on what Iv done wrong.

Smash

Remember to use references everytime. Imitating their features will get you better and better.
Also, check out my (Wip) portrait tutorial thread for important info on FFT face anatomy, there's goods there you might find useful.

And yeah I fully agree, long hair is a bitch.

h0ndman2

My dad just told me we'r going on holiday so I wont be around for 2 weeks. o_O

h0ndman2

I added the other collar to squall, but with my own colors, this is it now.
And Smash, Im happy that even someone your rank has trouble with long hair, it makes me feel a bit less noob. xD

Jon

Hey, thats better! I wish I could do portraits, but I am really bad at them, because see how the hair sorta makes a cone shape? Try to smooth it out into a more rounded version. Maybe I will try doing it, but it probably will come out worse.

Edit: Toldja I was bad, but this is what I mean by more rounded hair, this is just an idea. I changed the scar to a bit more bloody, and mouth. Hmm, the mouth reminds me of Mav's icon on here. I can't remember a time in FF8 where Squall was even close to smiling.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

h0ndman2

I wouldnt like to call that I smile. I think your looks a bit to angry. And Squall does smile, just not much. :P And his hair is I dunno, strange.... Check this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/squa ... e.png?o=10

Kagebunji

C'mon guys, USE EXISTING PALETTES! This is the most basic thing in spriting. And remeber to post 2x size port too, so we could examine the details more.