• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

My first portrait

Started by h0ndman2, August 12, 2010, 01:10:26 pm

h0ndman2

I made my first Portrait ever on Ms Paint, and Im quite happy with it. Of course, its not the best, but hey, its my first one! =] It is Squall Leonhart from FFVIII.

Kagebunji

Overall flatness, outlining, too dark scar. It is not anything strange you did these mistakes for your first time ofcourse, everyone did it at first. I suggest using more part from other sprites(for example, copy Gaffy's fur instead of this custom made). Besides, there are already two port of Squall, and one is awesome, try something else.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

h0ndman2

Yeah, I didnt really know who to do, and I like squall the way Squall looks, so...
Where can I find the other 2?
I didnt really used a lot of sprites, most of it is done by myself.

Any ideas for a next portrait? I want a character from FFI - FFX, and a playable one would be the coolest.

Kaijyuu

Overall I think you have the shapes down right, just need to work on the coloring/shading.

The shoulders especially look really cartoony and flat.
  • Modding version: PSX

Kagebunji

Ideas for ports eh, I can't help you, check spriting request section and try doing some. Other two Squall ports can be found on Seushiro profile, and Chronos Agami. Seu have the better one.

h0ndman2

Yea, I must say, both of them are better than mine. I'll fix the shoulders sometime. For my next sprite, how about FFVI's Edgar Figaro? I  dont think anyone made him yet. Or Paladin Cecil from FFIV?

Kagebunji

Paladin Cecil is currently beign created by Smash, and there is slight chance anyone will do better version than his, but Smash postponed his work for now because of college. I suggest doing some Dark Knight Cecil instead.

LastingDawn

Dark Knight Cecil has an absolutely Amazing picture by Curu from a time long past. I suggest Edgar
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

h0ndman2

I'll start with Edgar, we'll see what happens after that. Someone allready did Dark Knight Cecil, I'm not sure, I think it was Zozma. I saw it on youtube.

h0ndman2

Hey guys, this topic is to show you my sprites.
At the moment Im more busy with Portriats.
This is what I have created now, Edgar from FFVI, and Squall from FFVIII:

Kagebunji

Too cartoonish colors, always take colors from other FFT portraits, the colors you used now are from FF6 Edgar port. Collar is completely wrong, too linear, look at other collars in FFT to get the idea, again there ae outlining problems. Overall Edgar looks cartonish. I told you about Squall already.

Kagebunji

Ah I forgot Curu's portrait. It wasn't Zozma, it was CidIII, but it could use reworking, I will try if I find time.

h0ndman2

You cant use colors from other sprites? Oka, thanks for the tip. I had as you can see, lots of trouble with his hair. =/

Kagebunji

Using colors from sprites on portraits is a wrong move, I tried it too. Just use existing palettes from other FFT ports.

h0ndman2

okay, I did the coloring. I must say, this looks better, but the other colors looked more happy.

Kagebunji

colors are better, but the collar, hair, are looking terrible TBH. Use some fitting portrait that will work as base, and edit it from there, this looks like it is from scratch, bad move. Fully rework this.

h0ndman2

The Collar? I kind of liked it. =P WEll Im very bad at judging my own work, so you ust be right. I'll try Edgar again sometime.

Kagebunji

Collar is completely not FFT style, try looking in ShiShi at other ports and also visit Custom Sprites section on main page, you can get many ideas for good hair and collar.

h0ndman2

Where is that custom sprite section your talking about?

h0ndman2

changed a bit of Squalls shadow, and increased the size of his collar and lighter scar.