• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 27, 2024, 12:38:11 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

I just pimped FFH on TVTropes

Started by Dokurider, February 17, 2010, 09:18:22 am

Dokurider

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?di ... &page=1#15

What do you think? I tried to make the game sound difficult so that people don't waltz in expecting flowers and candy.

SilvasRuin

If someone doesn't somehow find a way to associate it with Nintendo Hard, I will be amazed.

Gotwald

I find it funny that almost all those hacks are mario rom hacks.

I also found it cool that you mentioned me as the youtube playlist. I just hope people understand I can't make videos for a while...

The only way I can think of to spice that up is to remark about how you have to come up with new strategies as no battle is ever the same, and how there is no more insta win strategies (blade grasp, movemp up + mp switch).
-- Attention Citizens, this is the Computer. 2 + 2 now equals 3.9999238849009985. Please recalibrate your equipment.

My youtube Channel
My 1.3 Playthough (Complete)
My Final fantasy I Blind playthrough

Dokurider

Quote from: "Gotwald"I find it funny that almost all those hacks are mario rom hacks.

I also found it cool that you mentioned me as the youtube playlist. I just hope people understand I can't make videos for a while...

The only way I can think of to spice that up is to remark about how you have to come up with new strategies as no battle is ever the same, and how there is no more insta win strategies (blade grasp, movemp up + mp switch).

Yeah, I decided to post your videos because:

1. You never played FFT prior to 1.3, so that shows that if someone that's never played FFT before can get as far as you got, then certainly a FFT veteran can do this.

2. Voldemort took his 1.3 playthrough videos down.

Portmanteur

Quote from: "Dokurider almost"Yeah, I decided to go out with you because:

1. You had sex with that virgin, so that shows that if he can get that far with you, then certainly any experienced male can do this.

2. That whore down the street is on vacation.

In all seriousness, I watched the the first few videos of fights I've completed so that I could compare how terrible I am compared to a theoretical noob, and yeah, I'm pretty terrible. But in my defense, it did seem like you got lucky more than I got unlucky. Also, your videos are really funny because you have literally no idea what the hell is going on, and you repeatedly point that out to the viewer. All in all, highly enjoyable. I look forward to watching more as I advance through 1.3

Gotwald

Yeah, upon revision, (like trying to redo 1.3 but with lower levels and things I learned and such), some fights I found really easy were basically impossible. My luck didn't stay in my vidoe playthrough either. Got stuck at Grog. I know how to beat it now, with a few killer non-n00b strategies (woo lurking!), but I lack the recording equipment I used prior.

someday, I will finish.

But to be fully honest, I got REALLY lucky sometimes, like when I fought the dragoner with the invite. I have found much better strategies since then (MA stacked sage inviting is much better around 28% :P) but luck is what has carried me a lot of the way. Not the BEST playthrough, but it does show the entertainment value of the game.
-- Attention Citizens, this is the Computer. 2 + 2 now equals 3.9999238849009985. Please recalibrate your equipment.

My youtube Channel

Aquilae

Maybe you should post a few more channels? Gotwald's videos are good but his strategies are too reliant on Invite, which might convince some that 1.3 is more luck than strategy, which isn't true.

Personally, I rarely use Invite. I use cheaper, more reliable stuff like Hamedo / Two Hands / Two Swords =D
:gay:

Gotwald

I agree. You need to find someone who can do 1.3, without making themselves be all "Oh, this fight is so easy because anything non-deep dungeon is just soo easy that I can not even pay attention blah blah blah."

My youtube Channel

Dokurider

Good point, guys, but it doesn't seem that anyone on TVTropes cares, so I'm not going to bother updating my post.

raulista

SilvasRuin

TVTropes is an extremely dangerous wiki type site that names, describes, and catalogs tropes and where they appear.  Readers should use caution as hours of one's life can be lost at a time quite easily from TVTropes.

Skip Sandwich

February 23, 2010, 06:45:28 pm #11 Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 02:52:43 pm by Skip Sandwich
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Piercewise

I love TVTropes. Be careful, lest you suddenly lose 4 hours of your day.
Seto: "Are you trying to tell me that Yugi and I are destined to play card games for eternity?"
Ishizu: "Yes."
Seto: "Best. Destiny. Ever."

Archael

wtf is a Trope

TVTropes

what a lame name..

seriously who could. spend all this time... on a....... weebsiiit...........eeeee

Dominic NY18

Quote from: "Voldemort"wtf is a Trope

TVTropes

what a lame name..

seriously who could. spend all this time... on a....... weebsiiit...........eeeee

From wiktionary.org
Etymology
From Latin tropus, from Ancient Greek τρόπος (tropos, "a turn, way, manner, style, a trope or figure of speech, a mode in music, a mode or mood in logic").

Noun
trope (plural tropes)

A figure of speech, such as a metaphor, in which a word or phrase is used other than in a literal manner.
(music) A short cadence at the end of the melody in some early music.
(music) A phrase or verse added to the mass when sung by a choir.
(Judaism) A cantillation.
(literature) Something recurring across a genre or type of literature, such as the 'mad scientist' of horror or 'once upon a time' as introduction to fairytales. Similar to a cliché, but not necessarily pejorative.

Apparently, tropes are as much about our expectations of a work within a given medium as they are about the use of common themes or devices within a work. And that's part of the reason the site has apparently sucked away a good amount of time from some of the people in this topic.

/geek mode

formerdeathcorps

The problem with tropes is that they're inescapable.  The very act of trying to write anything requires that you use some framework, in other words, some trope.  Furthermore, any attempts to deviate from any given trope always results in another one (even if someone didn't list it on TVTropes yet/never will because it is likely uninteresting or results in an even worse or more mangled piece of text--the process here is similar to evolution).  Thus, the set of all tropes is like the universal set that's axiomatically forbidden in formal set theory.

Example:
Wait, I just drew a bunch of science math analogies.  Trope 1
Ack...I recognize that.  Must make amends...Trope 2
I shouldn't have attempted to give an example...Trope 3
Why am I even posting this?  Everything good that has been done already has been...Trope 4
and so on...Trope 5
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.