• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 09:59:55 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Wonder if Square know about us...

Started by Kuraudo Sutoraifu, June 30, 2008, 07:57:23 pm

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

May 03, 2009, 09:19:40 pm #40 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Grats Sentinel on reviving my dead topic.

Square's likelyhood to find us is slim.  The top 200 pages for googling Final Fantasy Tactics make no mention of our beloved site, likewise for Google image search (but image search did produce a broken link for the ShiShi Sprite Editor).  On Youtube, LD's Mercenaries patch makes a blip at video #35.

So unless we start making a bigger ruckus, I agree with Arch, we're invisible to Square.

Sephirot24

May 03, 2009, 09:26:22 pm #41 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sephirot24
Someone should make a patch involving Square's staff so when they google their names said patch pops up =P

SentinalBlade

May 03, 2009, 09:32:05 pm #42 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Voldemort, point missed. I mentioned GF, but that wasnt my entire topic.

Chances of us knowing if they found is is miniscual.

Honestly though, people from japan have found us just by browsing around. Hell, there is even a japanese modding site, commonly posted and talked about on 2ch.net(you need a foriegn IP to join appearntly, because they wont let me sign up because its US Comcast). You realize that the japanese sites makes more mention of us and our projects, our sprites, and our innovations, then we do of theirs. You can look at the posts, you just cant reply yourself; but you can clearly see the links to our topics.

The chances of a Developer NOT knowing is slim. therem ight be a chance we have gone un noticed, but im damn sure the japanese community has been taken note of; 2ch.net is known for hacking games, and is even behind several illegal patches or translations for many psp games.

Saying GF is my only source, or the main way to find them is a poorly structured arguement. And it wasnt even my main arguement or point.

Invisibility is not possible when a game as largely popular as this is being hacked. as evidence from people in japan, russia, argentina, Tawain, even on person in north fucking korea(i didnt ask who let him on though). If we havnt been noticed, 2CH has, and we are allover 2ch and their wiki. in fact melonheads patcher is downloadable on their wiki.

If you honestly think we are that small... how big are other hacking communities? name at least 10 that have recieved the title of becoming so large its impossible ot notice. Its funny, even the smallest hacking communites get noticed. some even get shut down before they start, there was one for tales of phantasia that got threatened 2 days after it was announced that it might happen.

Like uyu said though, if they know about us, we most likely wont know it. but to think there is no way or a incredibly small chance we have gone unnoticed, then you are wrong; Boards get in trouble and noticed for less.

Also kuraudo, i believe there isnt much more of a ruckus we can make. sure we have alot of undiscovered info, but we can change the order of stories, even make new events, change sprites and names and graphics... what more can we do that other hacking communites have done to games? the only thing that most of us need now is custom ASM code, and every other succesful hacking site has some string of that in their criteria.

Whats more, is this site isnt a small team project; This is doable by nearly ANYONE. its not like you need lots of knowledge to hack with fftpatcher. Its more likely we have been noticed because of our ease of use for general hacking. Unlike chrono trigger, which took alot of knowledge of asm or hex, fft you dont need to know either to hack.

Archael

May 03, 2009, 09:51:10 pm #43 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
we ARE that small, regardless of how big other hacking communities are

and the truth is nothing we do here will warrant action or care from them, no matter how much they notice us

it's just a .ppf patch and an editor. neither of these is illegal and neither of these is a unified project with potential for a (very large) unified fan-base. it's just personalizing your FFT files.

also: FFT is not that popular, at all, never was (compared to other franchises, I'd say it's very unpopular!)

there is a difference between "small, cult following" and "halo-popular-where if you even touch their Intellectual Property you are staring at a major law suit"

the moment a project becomes big enough to remove the possibility or interference of monetary gain from a company, you are fucked, and nothing we do is big enough to cause that

when square shut down that Chrono Trigger 3d re-make, (and they did this WAY before it was even nearing completion), it was because they thought it would possibly get in the way of their gains if they decided to play their Chrono Trigger hand in the future

when square (if they do at all) notices FFH and doesn't do anything about it, it's because they don't think anything we're doing will be successful enough to get in their way if they do decide to play their FFT hand again

If we were doing something big in their eyes, Zodiac would have heard from them already

I think you are massively over-estimating the scope of what we're doing here SB, the very fact that square has never contacted us speaks volumes about the potential of anything we've worked on

if this entire site groups up to work on ONE MASSIVE project that gets REAL attention (and we could) then you would see square taking action, provided it acquires enough of a fan-base to interfere with them

my 2 cents

Note: by ONE MASSIVE project I'm not just talking editing FFT, but creating a new game (and by NEW I MEAN NEW. NOT just editing FFT) based on the FFT universe

SentinalBlade

May 03, 2009, 10:19:21 pm #44 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Your points are noted, but slightly untrue in some respects.

We are probably 3x the size of many other hacking communities, and we have a larger fanbase then monster hunter does, but monster hunter translation teams were sued very quickly.

You are UNDERestimating the size of the fanbase, and what we can do.

Quoteif you were distributing a modified FFT ISO that can allow others to play eachother online, (not kaillera, but built-in) then you're talking Corporate attention

True, we havnt done that, but we have more than messed with what was originally in teh game. we have expanded, restructered, rerouted, ASMed it, added new files, etc.etc. In many legal copies regarding emulation and ownership of a game you are modifying, it is summed up that you do so for personal use only, and you forfiet several rights when you publicly release it(. It also says you are not to modify the game by adding entirely new files and replacing/erasing/modifying existing ones(meaning anyone with custom sprites(so nearly everyone) in their project may be doing illegal things by U.S. law in some states)

Those laws are scetchy, and each state and country has different codes regarding them. The code in florida allows for extensive additions to limited cartridges or containments(as in CDs). but the law in ohio prevents modifying in even harmless ways. Most states commonly could care less about editing the Q value of an abilitiy, but adding new code, or even a new storyline, will pique alot of debate.

Laws are crudely sketched, and should not be taken into consideration in most arguements. The point always being the same, if the devs dont like it, they stop it. Wether what your doing is legal in your state or not. Dontr try and argue the fact that multiplayer would be a more popular feature and more noticed, because its still messing with their files or even limits on their CD, which is illegal anyway. Plus WOTL has multiplayer, theres not much more they can do to profit off of that.

The fact that ehy havnt contacted us proves nearly nothing. Chrono-Trigger 3D was shut down near its completion. Meaning they had already done alot of shit and were nearly going to release it; What are the chances they didnt know about it till it was nearing completion? We havnt released a project yet. Its always possible they think we will flop and dwindle and die like other communities. If we release a project and it gets a fanbase, i agree, it will pique alot more interest. but we do have enough publicity to get noticed.

And the halo arguement is also poorly structured; many more people play halo than almost any other game. Not everyone has played chrono trigger, or even heard of it, but it got shut down.

All these arguements are poorly structured, even mine, ill admit, but mine is based on experience and other sites that i have visited.

Also, just for the note on how big a fanbase FFT has;

Final Fantasy Tactics sold 824,671 copies in Japan in the first half of 1997.[71] Since then, the game has been sold at 1,350,000 copies in Japan.[72] In the United States it reached an estimated sale of 750,000 units as of year 2004.[73] As of March 31, 2003, the game had shipped 2.27 million copies worldwide, with 1.36 million of those copies being shipped in Japan and 910,000 abroad.

That is just for the PSX, i didnt care to search for PSP one yet. Its fair to say its not as popular as halo, but thats comparing an old apple to a bright ripe orange. FFT is over a decade old, halo brought more to the table than it could at the time. and square-enix(or ivalice alliance) obviously thought it was good enough to re-release, but they obviously also believe in straight up ports.

Also, as im sure you know, the entire FFT team went on to develop vagrant story, and many people have mentioned the developers of vagrant story to be very involved in their game's communities. When i work on a game after college, you bet your ass ill be searching around on fansites.

Archael

May 04, 2009, 04:33:08 pm #45 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
I'm not trying to structure an argument really, just saying that nothing we do here is significant enough to warrant square's attention

that's not an argument, it is fact

because square hasn't called us out for what we do here

like I said the moment we work on something truly big, you won't need to argue it, action from square's part will confirm it

just like their lack of action now confirms that either

a) they don't know about us

or b) they know about us and what we do isn't significant enough for their attention

im not so much trying to argue anything as just present the facts

QuoteAs of March 31, 2003, the game had shipped 2.27 million copies worldwide,

I didn't say FFT didn't sell, I said FFT is very unpopular compared to other franchises, are you gonna try and argue that FFT is popular compared to the big names in the gaming world?

I'm glad it sold the figures you looked up, that's nice, but it's still unpopular by comparison and is considered a small name compared to the big guys

like I said before, you'll know you hit a big project / idea when you get a cease & desist letter from square

Smitson

May 05, 2009, 07:14:10 pm #46 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Quote from: "Voldemort"I'm not trying to structure an argument really, just saying that nothing we do here is significant enough to warrant square's attention

that's not an argument, it is fact

because square hasn't called us out for what we do here

like I said the moment we work on something truly big, you won't need to argue it, action from square's part will confirm it

just like their lack of action now confirms that either

a) they don't know about us

or b) they know about us and what we do isn't significant enough for their attention

im not so much trying to argue anything as just present the facts

QuoteAs of March 31, 2003, the game had shipped 2.27 million copies worldwide,

I didn't say FFT didn't sell, I said FFT is very unpopular compared to other franchises, are you gonna try and argue that FFT is popular compared to the big names in the gaming world?

I'm glad it sold the figures you looked up, that's nice, but it's still unpopular by comparison and is considered a small name compared to the big guys

like I said before, you'll know you hit a big project / idea when you get a cease & desist letter from square

There's been ONE real big project released and that was just a game balancer, not a whole new storyline or anything like that. So there's not been much that would require Square's attention. It only takes one square employee to randomly find his way here till the whole company knows. I find it VERY unlikely that they wouldn't know.

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

May 06, 2009, 08:06:08 pm #47 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
I kinda agree, Smitson.  If we could get at least one decent patch to permeate the FFT communities abroad, we might get noticed.  But I don't think anyone is near done, and it would still only be a might.

Zalge

May 06, 2009, 08:16:14 pm #48 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zalge
Penis.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

May 10, 2009, 09:10:43 pm #49 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
http://www.romhacking.net/

Top story, Chrono Compendium got a C&D from Square.  What can be done to prevent this from happening to ffhacktics?  Move the site to China?

deadlyangel91792

May 25, 2009, 05:47:04 pm #50 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by deadlyangel91792
we MIGHT be shut down but not too likely it has happend before though to another hacking site most recently http://www.chronocompendium.com/ they were working on a fan made sequel to crono trigger and were sent a cease and desist order in the form of an email

also i highly doubt that this site would be shut down if you look at the hacking scene at http://www.pokecommunity.com there are over 32 rom hacks of pokemon games and there still standing

Samuraiblackbelt

May 25, 2009, 07:58:38 pm #51 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
Quote from: "deadlyangel91792"we MIGHT be shut down but not too likely it has happend before though to another hacking site most recently http://www.chronocompendium.com/ they were working on a fan made sequel to crono trigger and were sent a cease and desist order in the form of an email

in case you havn't read any of this thread,they already know about CC
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

deadlyangel91792

May 25, 2009, 09:03:50 pm #52 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by deadlyangel91792
lol it IS called spam isnt it??? and i think i read the first page by accident and not third

nates1984

May 26, 2009, 09:36:32 am #53 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by nates1984
Quoteif this entire site groups up to work on ONE MASSIVE project that gets REAL attention (and we could)

Tell me again why we don't just do this?

Asmo X

May 26, 2009, 11:11:27 am #54 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Everyone would rather work on their own projects.

Archael

May 26, 2009, 11:20:14 am #55 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Asmo X"Everyone would rather work on their own projects.

not me

but every time I made a "let's work together!" thread, I kept getting an overwhelming negative response over how "I wanna work on my own vision of things for everything FFT related sorry" and how ppl want their own personal patch only.

Xifanie

May 26, 2009, 06:25:43 pm #56 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
2 days after you created that topic the gigantic wave of lolpatches started attacking FFH.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

White1N

June 25, 2009, 04:09:57 am #57 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by White1N
maybe they will launch FFT 2, and there will be ffHacktics.com in the credits

LastingDawn

June 25, 2009, 09:00:41 am #58 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Bahaha! It's a nice pipe dream, but I fear if Square did find out about us they would do what they did to the poor Chrono Compendium, I'm very wary of attracting their attention.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Algus

June 25, 2009, 10:48:59 am #59 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Algus
Quote from: "White1N"maybe they will launch FFT 2, and there will be ffHacktics.com in the credits
Wow... That's will be good for us.
.: Final Fantasy Tactics Forever :.

Current Project

• Final Fantasy Tactics v1.0.1 Patch Fix(delayed)

• Visual Novel - Final Fantasy Tactics Chap 1(on going)