• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 07:51:12 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Spam / General Forum Merge

Started by Archael, February 13, 2009, 07:34:05 pm

LastingDawn

May 13, 2009, 02:17:19 pm #80 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
How about, it shouldn't be other people's jobs to assure the people of their community have the Intelligence to know where and what to post. That's why moderator's for the majority of the sections outside hacking is a poor idea.

Kokojo brings up a good point on the matter, it's just the quality of the posters for the most part which decides what.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Xifanie

May 13, 2009, 08:45:05 pm #81 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
I moderate it... when I feel like it.

I don't know anyone who's really up to the job and no one proposed him/herself to do the job.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

DarthPaul

May 13, 2009, 10:40:31 pm #82 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
I cannot say I would be the best moderator, but I would be willing to do it if it would return General to actually being General and not Spam spillover. As I am sure several others would be willing to do.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

gojoe

May 13, 2009, 11:50:49 pm #83 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gojoe
i wouldn't nominate me
I never learn from my mistakes.

Asmo X

May 14, 2009, 12:22:07 am #84 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
If anyone knows spam, it's DP.

DarthPaul

May 14, 2009, 12:24:00 am #85 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
That is a very sad reality.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

goldblade0

May 14, 2009, 01:37:12 am #86 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by goldblade0
I could do it, I can easily tell the difference between spam and regular.  Might be a bit too quiet for the job looking at the other mods though
It'll be a good long time until someone flushes another guitar string.

Dome

May 14, 2009, 03:37:24 am #87 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dome
So at the moment goldblade0 and darthpaul put themself foward...
Someone wants this job after all ^_^

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Dokurider

May 14, 2009, 12:57:34 pm #88 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
I would be the best tyrant.

goldblade0

May 14, 2009, 01:37:16 pm #89 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by goldblade0
I think I have a bit of seniority, and have I ever done anything stupid while here?
It'll be a good long time until someone flushes another guitar string.

Kokojo

May 14, 2009, 04:40:19 pm #90 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
Yeah, but being given Mod powers also brings up the secret Mod forum where we post naked pictures of ourselfves or get banned from the site and replaced by ph33rb0ts.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Goomba

May 14, 2009, 05:55:38 pm #91 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Goomba
But if we merge the forums then there's no reason at all to change the quality of posts.

Archael

May 14, 2009, 05:57:36 pm #92 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
or to have a new moderator

Goomba

May 14, 2009, 06:52:20 pm #93 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Goomba
Quote from: "Voldemort"or to have a new moderator

Listen to the boy. This is the option that requires the least amount of change.

Besides, a new moderator would just move 70 percent of topics after they get over two days old from general to spam.

DarthPaul

May 14, 2009, 06:58:20 pm #94 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
That is the problem with your plan.If a new mod was named then threads would have to be moved. Yet you say General and Spam are the same so that would mean by you point of view a mod would not have to move anything because general is spam part 2. It just does not work that way. General needs a mod because while it is off topic it is most certainly not spam.

Goomba

May 15, 2009, 01:48:00 pm #95 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Goomba
What. Most topics eventually become spam because there's no real code of conduct for what can be posted. If there was a moderator, then there would need to be a set of rules established for things to be orderly.

If you just merge both forums, nobody has to play the hard ass and nobody has to change their behavior. It goes on business as usual.

DarthPaul

May 15, 2009, 04:13:42 pm #96 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Merging the forums is basically saying General conversation is spam. Guess what? It's not. The fact that it becomes spam is a shame, and I take my share of the blame for it happening. The thing we are looking at is not whether spam is posted in General, it is the fact that they are different topics. We need a General moderator to keep it from happening. Taking the lazy route will not make us any better, and the amount of threads we have on our main page should not be a precedent either.

Goomba

May 15, 2009, 09:35:31 pm #97 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Goomba
Well, yeah. The only reason it's in the state that it is now is because people have been raping it. If they stopped raping general with spam all the time, we wouldn't have this issue. So we should merge both forums.

Archael

May 15, 2009, 10:00:46 pm #98 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "darthpaul"Merging the forums is basically saying General conversation is spam. Guess what? It's not.
nope

re-read this entire topic all over again, everything you are bringing up has been talked about already

you are re-iterating blank posts that have already been brought up and your only contribution is "it just doesn't work that way", which is a shitty reason, sorry

QuoteThe fact that it becomes spam is a shame, and I take my share of the blame for it happening. The thing we are looking at is not whether spam is posted in General, it is the fact that they are different topics.

The problem is not that it BECOMES Spam, or that Spam becomes General, the problem is that General Topics are alot of the time ALSO Spam Topics, and vice versa

see my screenshots of both forums that I upped to this thread ages ago

there is no denying that even though the forums have different purposes, functionally they are the same

saying "but it's not supposed to be that way!!!" doesn't change that

ideal purpose =/= reality

QuoteIf a new mod was named then threads would have to be moved.

Of course threads would have to be moved, man! Because the two forums are identical, they are both off topic, "social", "general" forums, regardless of what their original purpose was.

QuoteYet you say General and Spam are the same so that would mean by you point of view a mod would not have to move anything because general is spam part 2. It just does not work that way.

He'd move things based on his opinion of which off-topic topics are spam and which off-topic topics are general

in the end, they are still off-topic banter Social threads, because General IS indeed Spam part 2

that is why the idea for a merge was brought up

we don't need 2 forums for social for-fun threads, when 1 will do just fine

QuoteThat is the problem with your plan.

And the plan to get a new moderator who will have to decide, based on his opinion, what is a General Topic and what is a Spam Topic is a better idea?

lol

the only thing you guys are latching on to is OPINIONS of which topics are Spam and which are General

when you know that right now, both forums are inter-changeable, only differentiated by what SOME people deem to be "serious" and what SOME people deem is "Spam"

also, since no one brought this one up:

Assigning a moderator to General will not solve the problem of what some people think are "General, Serious Topics" from being posted in Spam Forum

it will only solve the problem of what some people think are "Spam, Joke Topics" from being posted in General Forum

The problem with arguing that the two forums stays separate because of a slight different in thread purpose is that it's an argument based on everyone's interpretation of what is a "Serious Off Topic Topic" and what isn't

this is a definition that varies based on who you ask, and greatly depends on the poster and everyone else reading the topic

My argument is based on the fact that BOTH FORUMS ARE OFF TOPIC THREADS

this isn't my opinion, this is how they function, and it is the reason we have these 2 forums serving 1 exact same purpose

when we could just have 1

Smitson

May 17, 2009, 05:30:25 pm #99 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
its pretty easy to see the difference between general and spam..

Spam:
http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2953

General:
http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2906

Although slightly similar theres still a major difference