• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:59:44 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Reks

When it comes down to it, I don't mind either or with the in-game audio. It DOES add an effect to it overall, so I guess I prefer having it to not having it.

Also, I can has match? Team doesn't matter so much (aside from Monster Hunters, not until later at least.), nor does the opponent. So I leave it up to whomever to pick my (or my opponent's) poison.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

CT5Holy

Alright, next match from me will be Reks' Celestial Stasis vs Otabo's Twisted Fate.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Reks

Quote from: CT5Holy on April 19, 2013, 04:07:09 am
Alright, next match from me will be Reks' Celestial Stasis vs Otabo's Twisted Fate.

That was rather fast. Thank you!

The Damned

April 20, 2013, 02:14:19 am #2243 Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:18:30 am by The Damned
(Thanks, Barren. Preemptive GG to Vigilanti & Reks.)

Geez, I shouldn't have posted all those videos at once given the view count. Oh well, whatever. I at least have one more opinion on the audio thing...for a grand total of two. Huzzah.

Anyway, apologies for the delay, especially to you Reks:

1. FFT ARENA 1.38d - Vigilanti (A Summoner's Pilgrimage) vs. The Damned (Pilgrimage of Repentance) [12:17]

2. FFT ARENA 1.38d - Reks (Monster Hunters) vs. The Damned (Flailing About) Redone [11:16]

Not much else to say. Had wanted to update my thread, but of course I failed there again. I'll just do that tomorrow. No need to make people wait for this still.

Italics EDIT: Whoops, messed up the italics for the second video. Fixed now.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

reinoe

Quote from: The Damned on April 20, 2013, 02:14:19 am
(Thanks, Barren. Preemptive GG to Vigilanti & Reks.)

1. FFT ARENA 1.38d - Vigilanti (A Summoner's Pilgrimage) vs. The Damned (Pilgrimage of Repentance) [12:17]

2. FFT ARENA 1.38d - Reks (Monster Hunters) vs. The Damned (Flailing About) Redone [11:16]

Round 1
3:14 was my favorite part.  At first I thought I was having early morning hallucinations but that Fairy did indeed hit it's allied undead unit for 85hp.  Further confirmed with a retalitory damage split.

Round 2
Double water KO at 9:11 was clutch for T.D.  Not helping was Vigilanti's Summoner being too far away to use Carbunkle to hit multiple units.
My dreams can come true!

Dokurider

April 20, 2013, 03:48:51 pm #2245 Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:54:11 pm by Dokurider
It's basically a requirement to have Anti-Blind on your Grand Cross unit, because even if you have a way to cure blind, you still have to stop to heal yourself every turn you use Grand Cross, cutting your dps in half. Because of all the blind and evasion, Flailing About was an accurate name for once.

EDIT: Oh it's intentional. Joke's on me.

The Damned

(Yeah, it's easy to miss that it's intentional. You aren't the first though. I think someone else--Barren?--did too.)

So, I almost forgot to say this: Outside of maybe recording a "tie-breaker" for DomieV vs. LightningHax, I'm going to be taking "off" from ARENA for a week.

Well, at least when it comes to recording. I'm going to finally try to do some actual work and start editing map positions or whatever because there are way too few small maps or just general maps that I think could have better starting positions.

*looks at Volcano*

So, yeah, going to try my clumsy hand at that particular effort. Other than that, it will be a time to catch-up on things that I still owe on this forum and other ones as well as finish (read: start) cleaning up my channel since I'm going to try to make that public...tomorrow.

Other than that, there only real bit of good news I have to report is that while screwing around and getting screwed over by Camtasia last week, I finally found the missing music I knew I still had somewhere. That's where things like "The Picard Song" and the Street Fighter EX music were hiding.

*goes back to trying to prepare a post to update with*

P.S. Since I can't remember if I ever "apologized" for it, I'll try not to use dubstep again if I can avoid it, at least without "warning" for it, even if it's like Super Mario RPG remix that I used. I seriously don't see how people like that particular style of music, but oh well, I at least gave it a try (read: several tries)....

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Reks

April 20, 2013, 11:38:31 pm #2248 Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 12:17:32 am by Reks
Well, that could have gone better. You gave me a few ideas for things, though I'm not sure what to do for Nuadiah. His Elemental IS indeed mainly for picking off weaker units, or at least HITTING units that he can't reach and/or would move out of Jump.

reinoe

Quote from: CT5Holy on April 20, 2013, 09:01:30 pm
Reks' Celestial Stasis vs Otabo's Twisted Fate

Since the vast majority of the commentary on this match was said during the rounds, I don't have much to add on this matchup.  Given it's huge length I was sure it would be a best of three matchup, especially since Reks had a huge advantage on the small map.  I will point out something very important that's semi-relevant to the current balance discussion thread though...

Move MP-UP on units with a lot of MP negates Witch Hunt.  Also Absorb MP also negates Witch Hunt. 
My dreams can come true!

Otabo

If anything, this should be more than enough proof that both Phoenix Blade and Quickening need to be removed.

Reks

April 21, 2013, 06:56:00 am #2251 Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:45:25 am by Reks
Well, Celestial Stasis was upgraded again, so they'll (NUADIAH) no longer be dumb about what they have.... For the most part.

Anyway, I wanna request another few matches with them against any team willing to be thrown at them. They actually had a good number of excellent back-and-forths with SWA in tests, but due to me not having any recording stuff at the time, none of it will be seen. And that was with me somehow still having an older version of the Memcard generator (the one where Move-MP UP was bugged), effectively crippling SWA and CS a bit.

Edit: I also have a new team. Introducing a hybrid, a fusion of Celestial Stasis and Severe Weather Alert.....

Celestial Thunder! *totally original name* They'll be up, and you CAN use them, but they're still in testing.

The Damned

(Ugh. Why did that take almost four hours?)

Anyway, all the videos on my channel are finally public. I'll put it in my signature before I forget.

Hmmm...I haven't done any exercise this weekend. I kinda want to go for a walk, but it's pretty much midnight.

I guess if I don't update my patch thread in the next couple of hours, then you guys can just take that as a sign I've been brutally murdered or something. No big.

*remembers that he still needs to write a will, like everyone does*

Hmmm....

Regardless, preemptive thanks, Barren. I'll try to watch your videos before Tuesday (is over).

reinoe

April 22, 2013, 04:07:33 am #2254 Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:45:35 pm by reinoe
Quote from: The Damned on April 22, 2013, 02:55:28 am
Anyway, all the videos on my channel are finally public. I'll put it in my signature before I forget.

Glad you finally took the plunge!  I often search u-toob for matches and inspiration for team building, and then I would realize that yours weren't available yet.
My dreams can come true!

Angelus

Christ mate, that was a sheer massacre! That triple kill earth dragon was a nice way to cap it off. GG reinoe. And thank ye for visiting Scholars R Us!

reinoe

April 26, 2013, 02:09:34 am #2258 Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 03:12:40 am by reinoe
Quote from: Dokurider on April 26, 2013, 01:13:03 am
[FFT Arena 138d] Reinoe vs Barren (High Risk High Rewards)

That Chemist has Death Sentence Proc's that never miss.  The RNG went her way a lot.  It was quite maddening.

It's been a long time since I've suffered from MP starvation.  As much as I want to say poison was useless, it actually did what it was supposed to do and slowly killed off the Frog Chemist.

Barren's Archer was immune to blind so Abandon+Kiyomori meant nothing.  I should count my blessings.  After all, he could have had a magic gun and wrecked havok.

My most favorite part, or least favorite depending on my mood, was near the end of match 2 when it was obviously over and the Oracle approached Barren's Archer kneeling the whole time.  And just to troll things out a little, Barren's thief stole my Battle Boots from my Frogg'ed Knight as a souvenir.  Not too different from teabagging in a FPS.  Whining aside it was an interesting match all the same.  I need more attack power so I can either modify the Samurai or just go the easy route and make her a clone of the Paladin.  But I'm already making updates to the team.

GG Barren.

Thanks Dokurider!  The match was A LOT closer than I thought it would be surprisingly enough, especially after 9P's first outing.
My dreams can come true!

Barren

Quote from: reinoe on April 26, 2013, 02:09:34 am
That Chemist has Death Sentence Proc's that never miss.  The RNG went her way a lot.  It was quite maddening.

It's been a long time since I've suffered from MP starvation.  As much as I want to say poison was useless, it actually did what it was supposed to do and slowly killed off the Frog Chemist.

Barren's Archer was immune to blind so Abandon+Kiyomori meant nothing.  I should count my blessings.  After all, he could have had a magic gun and wrecked havok.

My most favorite part, or least favorite depending on my mood, was near the end of match 2 when it was obviously over and the Oracle approached Barren's Archer kneeling the whole time.  And just to troll things out a little, Barren's thief stole my Battle Boots from my Frogg'ed Knight as a souvenir.  Not too different from teabagging in a FPS.  Whining aside it was an interesting match all the same.  I need more attack power so I can either modify the Samurai or just go the easy route and make her a clone of the Paladin.  But I'm already making updates to the team.

GG Barren.

Thanks Dokurider!  The match was A LOT closer than I thought it would be surprisingly enough, especially after 9P's first outing.

Thanks for the new idea reinoe, now I have a setup in mind for my archer in the next update :D

that was a pretty long match to say the very least but the idea was to keep risking with breaks, talk skill and death spells while my thief just goes for KOs. I'm surprised my archer didn't go for many breaks and I want him too. perhaps there's another way he can spam breaks? Well GG reinoe, that was fun.
You dare cross blades with me?