• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 10:28:04 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

The hulutube bullshit.

Started by DarthPaul, April 16, 2009, 10:28:27 pm

Dokurider

April 18, 2009, 06:53:43 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
Quote from: "ph33rb0t"Privately owned yes, but they are a consumer site.

They need to invest in making their users happy9and by users I mean those who watch videos AND those who make them) because at the end of the day that is how they make revenue.

If they wanted to make a hulutube why not merge with hulu or make another site for all the movies and shows.

Youtube should stay youtube, because at the end of the day the sites major history is user generated content not professionally produced content.

All they are doing is pissing off the people who have made them such a success. Kinda like say Voldemort telling melonhead that he wasn't necessary for the development of 1.3

And you and realworldnews or whatever knows more about making money than Youtube? You think something like trying to make their page less cluttered and more visually appealling is going to make them less money? Please.

Archael

April 18, 2009, 07:13:55 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
QuoteAnd why I have an account on Youtube? Convenience. It's the first video hosting website that popped into my head. I haven't bothered checking out any other hosts because the service I get from Youtube is satisfactory. If I find a host that's satisfies me more or Youtube's service stops being satisfactory, I'll change services. Simple as that.

you have an account on youtube because youtube is the only video site that has so many eyeballs

no other video site comes close

you think your measly 50 views on a 1.3 video is a lot?

it'd be zero views on any other video service if you were not on youtube

QuoteTo date, I have 33 videos uploaded, and more coming up in the following weeks. I consider that as making many videos.

you're wrong

# of vids doesn't say anything (especially not 33 which is next to nothing)

some people with less than 100 videos have 100,000+ subs and are partners, making money off those views

which is why I said before it is understandable why you don't see the issue here, you got nothing to lose here, because you don't really have much presence in youtube, relatively, and you have no real views / money to lose in the first place

REMEMBER - some independent content creators DO make money off youtube and the changes DO affect them greatly , thats what this video is getting at

QuoteDo you really know if IOC creators will be able to get less views after it's new changes? Maybe it's stay the same? Maybe you'll get more? Where's the evidence? The video never cites it's sources.

the entire point of the video is to prevent it from happening in the first place

that's what the video tries to explain

you can't have sources when you are trying to pre-empt your sources from existing in the first place

were you even awake when you watch it?

Darthpaul is correct

youtube / google can do whatever they want, but if they piss off the people who MAKE youtube what it is (and what gives it as many eyeballs as it has right now), you can be sure there's MANY other people clamoring for Youtube's spot on #1, sites which won't hesitate to capitalize on the mistake, ESPECIALLY if youtube turns corporate and drives away alot of it's userbase

QuoteAnd you and realworldnews or whatever knows more about making money than Youtube?

Youtube doesn't make a comparatively great deal of money.. alot of people seem to assume this, and I'm not sure why

the great majority of it's earnings go right back into maintenance of the service

what will keep youtube alive is the companies who have an interest in keeping it alive, because it is their #1 source of advertisement and market penetration

Youtube isn't making changes to make more money, it's making changes to survive

Youtube needs to either please the small guys that make it what it is, or please the big companies who would otherwise destroy it

the video is telling youtube to come to our side, and not the corporate side , and find another way to survive than to turn into HuluTube

the video is trying to stop youtube from going to the corporate side to survive

DarthPaul

April 18, 2009, 08:44:47 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Voldemort thank you I can not say it any better without restating what you already have said.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

gojoe

April 19, 2009, 12:36:20 am #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gojoe
And?
I never learn from my mistakes.

CidIII

April 19, 2009, 01:13:44 am #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
One of my videos has 35,000 views, I'm so cool.
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

Archael

April 20, 2009, 11:58:47 am #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael

Dokurider

April 20, 2009, 03:22:42 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
Quoteyou have an account on youtube because youtube is the only video site that has so many eyeballs

Don't put words in my mouth. I said I have an account on Youtube out of sheer convience and that's that. I was only answering your question about whether I even have videos on my channel or not. I don't recall you asking me about my view count. No I don't think 50 views is alot. I never said that either.

I'd be perfectly fine if my view count stayed at zero. That's not the reason why I upload videos. I upload videos as a favor to you guys at 1.3. I didn't expect to get alot of views. Even if you guys didn't care, I'd still be fine with that. I make videos as a benefit to myself. It's very helpful to me to review how I did in a battle, so that I can refine my strategies and overall be a better player.

Quoteyou're wrong

# of vids doesn't say anything (especially not 33 which is next to nothing)

some people with less than 100 videos have 100,000+ subs and are partners, making money off those views

which is why I said before it is understandable why you don't see the issue here, you got nothing to lose here, because you don't really have much presence in youtube, relatively, and you have no real views / money to lose in the first place

REMEMBER - some independent content creators DO make money off youtube and the changes DO affect them greatly , thats what this video is getting at

I only said I have a lot of videos because most channels have no videos, period. But if that's not the case, then that's fine. Remember, I was only answering your question.

Who I am is beside the point. Who I am is completely irrelevant to the argument at hand. Quit trying to suggest I'm missing something or my arguments are less relevant because I don't make a livelyhood off of Youtube.

Once more, this video doesn't cite any evidence. There is no reason to  believe that anything it says is true. None at all.

Quotethe entire point of the video is to prevent it from happening in the first place

that's what the video tries to explain

you can't have sources when you are trying to pre-empt your sources from existing in the first place

were you even awake when you watch it?

"Pre-empting your sources" is synonymous with talking out of your ass.

Once again, it does not cite it's facts. No one has any reason to believe anything that video says. If it's too early to come up with any hard facts, then perhaps that's a sign that it's too fucking early to say anything definite about the effect that these changes will have on IOC creators at all! You simply have no evidence. That's that.

Quoteph33rb0t is correct

youtube / google can do whatever they want, but if they piss off the people who MAKE youtube what it is (and what gives it as many eyeballs as it has right now), you can be sure there's MANY other people clamoring for Youtube's spot on #1, sites which won't hesitate to capitalize on the mistake, ESPECIALLY if youtube turns corporate and drives away alot of it's userbase

What makes you think Youtube is making a mistake in the first place?

QuoteYoutube doesn't make a comparatively great deal of money.. alot of people seem to assume this, and I'm not sure why

the great majority of it's earnings go right back into maintenance of the service

what will keep youtube alive is the companies who have an interest in keeping it alive, because it is their #1 source of advertisement and market penetration

Youtube isn't making changes to make more money, it's making changes to survive

Youtube needs to either please the small guys that make it what it is, or please the big companies who would otherwise destroy it

the video is telling youtube to come to our side, and not the corporate side , and find another way to survive than to turn into HuluTube

the video is trying to stop youtube from going to the corporate side to survive

Quote-- Categories will now be found under the "Videos" tab.

-- Dropdown menus make for a smoother transition when clicking through popular pages, ie. "Most Viewed," "Top Favorites," "Recently Featured," etc.

-- Tabs and video browsing pages have a new overall look and feel.

These are the changes that Youtube is making. Here's a pretty picture.

Do you honestly think that a Javascript making things more steamline is going to to oppress IOC creators? You, all of you, are making a mountain out of a goddamn molehill. You are all full of shit if that's what you think. These changes will have no affect on your livelyhoods and you have no evidence to suggest otherwise. If you don't like this changes, feel free to leave. I'm sure someone else will be willing to take your place.

Archael

April 20, 2009, 03:32:19 pm #27 Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 03:41:59 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Dokurider"
Quoteyou have an account on youtube because youtube is the only video site that has so many eyeballs

Don't put words in my mouth. I said I have an account on Youtube out of sheer convience and that's that. I was only answering your question about whether I even have videos on my channel or not. I don't recall you asking me about my view count. No I don't think 50 views is alot. I never said that either.

I'd be perfectly fine if my view count stayed at zero. That's not the reason why I upload videos. I upload videos as a favor to you guys at 1.3. I didn't expect to get alot of views. Even if you guys didn't care, I'd still be fine with that. I make videos as a benefit to myself. It's very helpful to me to review how I did in a battle, so that I can refine my strategies and overall be a better player.

I was making an example of why youtube is by far the biggest video service and why it is desirable to have an account there instead of other services

I very much doubt people make videos and upload them so they can get seen by zero views

if you only care about reviewing your gameplay, why do you upload it? just watch it on your PC

QuoteI only said I have a lot of videos because most channels have no videos, period. But if that's not the case, then that's fine. Remember, I was only answering your question.

Who I am is beside the point. Who I am is completely irrelevant to the argument at hand. Quit trying to suggest I'm missing something or my arguments are less relevant because I don't make a livelyhood off of Youtube.

Once more, this video doesn't cite any evidence. There is no reason to  believe that anything it says is true. None at all.

I wasn't talking about who you are

I was saying that because you are not a youtube partner it is easy to understand why you would not care about this / think it's all fake

and it is a fact that you're not a youtube partner, btw

I wasn't talking about who you are (x2), I was talking about the relationship your account has with youtube, and it's not a partership

you have no money and even less audience at risk here, compared to the people who actually are YT Partners

Quote"Pre-empting your sources" is synonymous with talking out of your ass.

Once again, it does not cite it's facts. No one has any reason to believe anything that video says. If it's too early to come up with any hard facts, then perhaps that's a sign that it's too fucking early to say anything definite about the effect that these changes will have on IOC creators at all! You simply have no evidence. That's that.

ah I see

so making observations based on the changes we know youtube is going to make in order to avoid potential future consequences is useless?

the facts are already there for all to see... like I said before

www.youtube.com/movies
www.youtube.com/shows
www.youtube.com/music

the video is making observations based on the behavior it is seeing from youtube

you are asking for too much from a youtube video, and/or analyzing the idea too harshly

are you also against the idea of global warming because no one has provided enough facts for you?

are you also against action on the US economy because no one has given you FACTS that it's going to take a turn for the worst?

your attitude of "do nothing now in case the worrying people are wrong" is the same attitude that causes "oh fuck the worrying people were right I wish we would have done something back then"

there is no harm in campaigning for youtube to go back to how it was in 2007, that's what the video is about--

repeat: were you even awake when you saw it? this isn't a science experiment, it's just a campaign to get youtube to stop going corporate (which FYI WILL affect YT Partners if it happens, just because of the very nature of how the system is changing)

QuoteThese are the changes that Youtube is making. Here's a pretty picture.

Do you honestly think that a Javascript making things more steamline is going to to oppress IOC creators? You, all of you, are making a mountain out of a St. Ajora molehill. You are all full of shit if that's what you think. These changes will have no affect on your livelyhoods and you have no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Those are not the only changes youtube is going to make

the changes the video talks about have not taken place yet

your picture says nothing

QuoteIf you don't like this changes, feel free to leave. I'm sure someone else will be willing to take your place.

I have no stake in this, I am not a Youtube partner, I have nothing at risk here, and I'm not going to leave regardless

however unlike you, I can understand the issue this represents for those who do

DarthPaul

April 20, 2009, 03:39:03 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
How old is that pic anyway?

It has an ad for the republican debates for crying out load! Wait I looked past the elephant and saw NOV 28.

Sorry to say this Doku, but that pic is phail.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Dokurider

April 20, 2009, 05:44:49 pm #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
QuoteI was making an example of why youtube is by far the biggest video service and why it is desirable to have an account there instead of other services

I very much doubt people make videos and upload them so they can get seen by zero views

Don't try to backpedal. You explicitly said I was uploading videos for the views when I said I wasn't. Doubt me if you want, it's very true.

Quoteif you only care about reviewing your gameplay, why do you upload it? just watch it on your PC

QuoteI'd be perfectly fine if my view count stayed at zero. That's not the reason why I upload videos. I upload videos as a favor to you guys at 1.3. I didn't expect to get alot of views. Even if you guys didn't care, I'd still be fine with that. I make videos as a benefit to myself. It's very helpful to me to review how I did in a battle, so that I can refine my strategies and overall be a better player.

I also upload them to prove that I'm beating the 1.3 battles legitimately.

QuoteI wasn't talking about who you are

I was saying that because you are not a youtube partner it is easy to understand why you would not care about this / think it's all fake

and it is a fact that you're not a youtube partner, btw

I wasn't talking about who you are (x2), I was talking about the relationship your account has with youtube, and it's not a partership

you have no money and even less audience at risk here, compared to the people who actually are YT Partners

So, what's your point? What does it matter that "it is easy to understand why would not care"? What does my relationship with Youtube have to do with anything? Your whole "I don't make a livelyhood off of Youtube." is completely irrelevant .

Quoteah I see

so making observations based on the changes we know youtube is going to make in order to avoid potential future consequences is useless?

Never said that. How does one make observations of something that doesn't exist yet anyways?
Quotethe facts are already there for all to see... like I said before

www.youtube.com/movies
www.youtube.com/shows
www.youtube.com/music

Where? It's certainly not in the video.

Quotethe video is making observations based on the behavior it is seeing from youtube

you are asking for too much from a youtube video, and/or analyzing the idea too harshly

I'm not asking too much. How hard is it to cite your damn sources? I was doing it when I was 13. Put something at the end of the video or in the description.

But perhaps you're right. Maybe we shouldn't take Youtube videos so seriously. I mean, after all, it's way too much work to be credible. So I guess we shouldn't listen to them at all, including this video.

Quoteare you also against the idea of global warming because no one has provided enough facts for you?

If there isn't enough evidence for an idea, that idea is not credible. No matter what it is. That's how it works.

Quoteare you also against action on the US economy because no one has given you FACTS that it's going to take a turn for the worst?

How am I against me making money?

Quoteyour attitude of "do nothing now in case the worrying people are wrong" is the same attitude that causes "oh fuck the worrying people were right I wish we would have done something back then"

Your attitude of "Let's do something in case some single stupid asshole is right" is the same attitude that causes "Oh fuck, I fucked things up. I wish we didn't do that back then".

Quotethere is no harm in campaigning for youtube to go back to how it was in 2007, that's what the video is about--

But I get pissed off when pretentious assholes try to shove propaganda down my throat. No harm in counter-protesting either.  

Quoterepeat: were you even awake when you saw it?

Was your brain turned off when you saw this video?

Quotethis isn't a science experiment, it's just a campaign to get youtube to stop going corporate (which FYI WILL affect YT Partners if it happens, just because of the very nature of how the system is changing)

How do you know that these changes will negatively affect YT Partners? HOW do you know this?

QuoteThose are not the only changes youtube is going to make

Then please, direct me to a place where Youtube has all of it's changes listed. I know about the new movies and TV shows, but what else is gonna  kill you?

QuoteI have no stake in this, I am not a Youtube partner, I have nothing at risk here, and I'm not going to leave regardless

I guess that means you've accepted Youtube's changes then.

Quotehowever unlike you, I can understand the issue this represents for those who do

How do you understand the issue better then I can? Because I understand that this video is full of it and you don't?

Archael

April 20, 2009, 07:43:42 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
QuoteWhere? It's certainly not in the video.

The video itself was made when these pages went live:

www.youtube.com/movies
www.youtube.com/shows
www.youtube.com/music

Are those links not proof enough for you that what the video is saying is true? The video says Youtube is turning into HuluTube, and it's saying it will change Youtube's priorities, phasing out small partners and original content creators. I don't see why the video is wrong in this.

When Youtube begins renting / purchasing IP's for those pages, it will turn into HuluTube. The first step was the HD for TV Shows and Movies (which now mostly get produced in HD), and this is the next step.

QuoteThen please, direct me to a place where Youtube has all of it's changes listed. I know about the new movies and TV shows, but what else is gonna kill you?

When big sites make broad all-encompassing changes such as the links I gave you, they don't let people know of it in a change-list fashion. They'll formally announce it when it's ready, and most likely when they already own several IP's to give those pages a bit more attention with shows that can compete with what Hulu is offering. I can't direct you to a place where Youtube has all the changes listed because that's not what they are going to do. They are a little smarter (and more subtle) than that, they know that the backlash will be even worse if they allow people to formally see the changes before they happen. They will try to make the transition as quietly as possible.

Why do you think there is NO formal links to those linked pages anywhere on Youtube? They are testing them out, but they will NOT publicly acknowledge those pages, even though you can see them yourself already. I can understand why you think the video is BS, but the very fact that you can't find a formal change list for what's going to happen means Youtube has successfully led you to believe that it's not a big deal. The more people that react like you, the better it is for them.

They'll never pre-maturely write up a 1.3 style change-list like what you are demanding. That's part of the plan.

QuoteYour attitude of "Let's do something in case some single stupid asshole is right" is the same attitude that causes "Oh fuck, I fucked things up. I wish we didn't do that back then".

It's not just a single "asshole" campaigning for this. The PHASING YOU OUT OF YOUTUBE video has been #1 most discussed, #1 rated, #1 responded, #1 favorited, #1 mirrored video on Youtube for three days after it was uploaded. I'm not trying to mount an ad populum here, just saying that your claim that it's just 1 stupid asshole is wrong.

QuoteBut I get pissed off when pretentious assholes try to shove propaganda down my throat. No harm in counter-protesting either.

Not to mention that therealweeklynews (same guy from MrBlacksMovieReviews) has been a LONG-TIME member of youtube. His news are usually un-biased, neutral, and very well done. His videos vs youtube started right around the time that Youtube did nothing to correct the blatant legal issues of censorship and false DMCA claims that are still present on the side today.

To call the creator of that video a "stupid asshole" and "pretentious" just because you disagree is not only ignorant, hasty, but it's also wrong and shows how little you know about the intent of that video and the validity behind the guy who made it. That video would not be 5% as popular and as effective as it has been if it had not been made by a reputable and respected member of Youtube.

QuoteHow does one make observations of something that doesn't exist yet anyways?

How do you know that these changes will negatively affect YT Partners? HOW do you know this?

You can make observations based on experience. Entities (including companies) have predictable behavior that is observable. It's called a hypothesis / prediction. I am sure you draw conclusions based on past experiences and observations every day of your life. Everyone does. The changing world is not as simple as "show me facts that this is going to happen, or else there is NO CHANCE that it's going to happen. You know that's not how things work, and it's definitely not how people react.

If you watch the video, you will see that it mentions Youtube's behavior in the past with regards to issues such as this. Issues where Youtube sided with the corporate to save itself over having to please it's users and get murdered in court for it.

They did it on the DMCA Reform, they did it for capped video size / lengths, they did it for World Music Group, they did it for Universal, they did it for every single record company who has filed false IP claims that violate the law of Fair Use. In every single one of these cases, Youtube did the same. They screwed over their users and they helped the big companies that can otherwise RAPE YOUTUBE IN COURT. And you're telling me this video has no foundation for it's claims? Yeah that's what I thought.

QuoteYour attitude of "Let's do something in case some single stupid asshole is right" is the same attitude that causes "Oh fuck, I fucked things up. I wish we didn't do that back then".

As stated before it's not just a single asshole. The great majority of the youtube community have mirrored and helped this video grow. Again, not trying to mount an ad populum, because that doesn't help my case. Just saying. Also, taking action now, assuming Youtube DOESN'T side with the corporate side (like they always have in the past!) would not really end up as a case of "Oh fuck, I fucked things up. I wish we didn't do that back then".. It'd end up more along the lines of: "Oh, well, good thing they listened to our outcry and didn't side with the corporate, for once!"

The more you argue the more your lack of Youtube's history shows, as well as a categorical misunderstanding of the intent of the video. Arguing from an lack of credibility will not make your understanding of the situation any greater.

QuoteThis video is nothing but alarmist.

Even under the assumption that EVERYTHING on the video is false and never happens (and it's already happening unfortunately), all the video is doing is promoting Free Speech and Equality on Youtube. Equality along with Fair Free Speech will completely vanish as soon as Youtube favors it's mega corporate partners over the users who made them what they are. Actually, it's too late for that, because with all the false flagging, false DMCA'ing, and false takedowns they let their partners get away with, the Free Speech and Equality on Youtube is already dying.

If you automatically label efforts to promote Free Speech and Equality on a medium as relevant and as ground-breaking as Youtube as just one "pretendious asshole" trying to make much about nothing (alarmist), then I don't know what else you put up with from others when they try to force something on you.

If you disagree with the video, just don't support it.

But don't try to mount attacks on it just because it is trying to get something done for the good of the users and the small guys. I would much rather be wrong about this and end up causing much-a-do about nothing than having taken Youtube's corporate, censoring, law-breaking dick up my ass quietly like you are suggesting needs to be done.

Dokurider

April 21, 2009, 11:20:31 am #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
QuoteThe video itself was made when these pages went live:

www.youtube.com/movies
www.youtube.com/shows
www.youtube.com/music

Are those links not proof enough for you that what the video is saying is true? The video says Youtube is turning into HuluTube, and it's saying it will change Youtube's priorities, phasing out small partners and original content creators. I don't see why the video is wrong in this.

When Youtube begins renting / purchasing IP's for those pages, it will turn into HuluTube. The first step was the HD for TV Shows and Movies (which now mostly get produced in HD), and this is the next step.

So? I never had any doubts these changes were happening. What I have doubts about are if this changes will have a negative impact on IOC creators, which you and the video consistently fail to demonstrate. These links are not proof.

QuoteWhen big sites make broad all-encompassing changes such as the links I gave you, they don't let people know of it in a change-list fashion. They'll formally announce it when it's ready, and most likely when they already own several IP's to give those pages a bit more attention with shows that can compete with what Hulu is offering. I can't direct you to a place where Youtube has all the changes listed because that's not what they are going to do. They are a little smarter (and more subtle) than that, they know that the backlash will be even worse if they allow people to formally see the changes before they happen. They will try to make the transition as quietly as possible.

Why do you think there is NO formal links to those linked pages anywhere on Youtube? They are testing them out, but they will NOT publicly acknowledge those pages, even though you can see them yourself already. I can understand why you think the video is BS, but the very fact that you can't find a formal change list for what's going to happen means Youtube has successfully led you to believe that it's not a big deal. The more people that react like you, the better it is for them.

They'll never pre-maturely write up a 1.3 style change-list like what you are demanding. That's part of the plan.

I love how you're trying to add a sinister spin to this, like they are literally out to get you.

Actually, most major websites do announce changes they make, and Youtube is no exception:

http://www.youtube.com/blog

A little out of the way, but nothing a determined search could find.

QuoteIt's not just a single "asshole" campaigning for this. The PHASING YOU OUT OF YOUTUBE video has been #1 most discussed, #1 rated, #1 responded, #1 favorited, #1 mirrored video on Youtube for three days after it was uploaded. I'm not trying to mount an ad populum here, just saying that your claim that it's just 1 stupid asshole is wrong.

Didn't say anything about campaigning. You are all up in arms because ONE guy made un-cited claims about the changes youtube is making is going to have a negative affect on IOC creators.

QuoteNot to mention that therealweeklynews (same guy from MrBlacksMovieReviews) has been a LONG-TIME member of youtube. His news are usually un-biased, neutral, and very well done. His videos vs youtube started right around the time that Youtube did nothing to correct the blatant legal issues of censorship and false DMCA claims that are still present on the side today.

To call the creator of that video a "stupid asshole" and "pretentious" just because you disagree is not only ignorant, hasty, but it's also wrong and shows how little you know about the intent of that video and the validity behind the guy who made it.

I was talking in general, quit taking my words out of context.

QuoteThat video would not be 5% as popular and as effective as it has been if it had not been made by a reputable and respected member of Youtube.

That's assuming good faith on the part of the Youtube userbase.

QuoteYou can make observations based on experience.

I'll bite, how does one 'make observations' based on 'experience'? Is that synonymous with 'Anecdotal Evidence'.

QuoteEntities (including companies) have predictable behavior that is observable. It's called a hypothesis / prediction.

The very definition of a hypothesis is that it's unproven. I'd believe that companies have predictable behavior though.

QuoteI am sure you draw conclusions based on past experiences and observations every day of your life. Everyone does. The changing world is not as simple as "show me facts that this is going to happen, or else there is NO CHANCE that it's going to happen. You know that's not how things work, and it's definitely not how people react.

How is how I operate from day-to-day basis have anything to do with this? I go into different situations with different mindsets. If I was working on a  nuclear reactor, I wouldn't act and think the same way I would if I was on the street or at home.

QuoteIf you watch the video, you will see that it mentions Youtube's behavior in the past with regards to issues such as this. Issues where Youtube sided with the corporate to save itself over having to please it's users and get murdered in court for it.

They did it on the DMCA Reform, they did it for capped video size / lengths, they did it for World Music Group, they did it for Universal, they did it for every single record company who has filed false IP claims that violate the law of Fair Use. In every single one of these cases, Youtube did the same. They screwed over their users and they helped the big companies that can otherwise RAPE YOUTUBE IN COURT. And you're telling me this video has no foundation for it's claims? Yeah that's what I thought.

At best, you've established intent, that Youtube doesn't care if it hurts IOC creators or not. But that's all you got. You still have no evidence that these  changes will actually hurt anyone.

QuoteAs stated before it's not just a single asshole. The great majority of the youtube community have mirrored and helped this video grow. Again, not trying to mount an ad populum, because that doesn't help my case. Just saying. Also, taking action now, assuming Youtube DOESN'T side with the corporate side (like they always have in the past!) would not really end up as a case of "Oh fuck, I fucked things up. I wish we didn't do that back then".. It'd end up more along the lines of: "Oh, well, good thing they listened to our outcry and didn't side with the corporate, for once!"

How do you know it won't?

QuoteThe more you argue the more your lack of Youtube's history shows, as well as a categorical misunderstanding of the intent of the video. Arguing from an lack of credibility will not make your understanding of the situation any greater.

I don't need to know anything about Youtube or the creator of the video, because any and all arguments you can and have mustered all fall in the presence of one simple fact: The claims in this video are completely unfounded. No matter how much you try, you cannot refute this one damning fact. No matter what the intent is, if there is no evidence to support it, then it is unfounded. Simple as that.

Dokurider

April 21, 2009, 11:28:58 am #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
QuoteEven under the assumption that EVERYTHING on the video is false and never happens (and it's already happening unfortunately), all the video is doing is promoting Free Speech and Equality on Youtube. Equality along with Fair Free Speech will completely vanish as soon as Youtube favors it's mega corporate partners over the users who made them what they are. Actually, it's too late for that, because with all the false flagging, false DMCA'ing, and false takedowns they let their partners get away with, the Free Speech and Equality on Youtube is already dying.

If you automatically label efforts to promote Free Speech and Equality on a medium as relevant and as ground-breaking as Youtube as just one "pretendious asshole" trying to make much about nothing (alarmist), then I don't know what else you put up with from others when they try to force something on you.

If you disagree with the video, just don't support it.

But don't try to mount attacks on it just because it is trying to get something done for the good of the users and the small guys. I would much rather be wrong about this and end up causing much-a-do about nothing than having taken Youtube's corporate, censoring, law-breaking dick up my ass quietly like you are suggesting needs to be done.

Once again, Youtube is a privately-owned organization. Private organizations has the right to suppress Free Speech on it's own website(s). Gamefaqs does it all the time. But once again, what does this have to do with the fact that this video has no evidence to support it's claims? Fast response BTW.

DarthPaul

April 21, 2009, 01:19:21 pm #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Youtube may be privatley owned yes but lets say they took the stand they are taking now back when they started.

*chirp*

*chirp*

Who would be the dominant internet video website?

Probably veoh cause they don't pull this shit.

philsov

April 21, 2009, 01:23:02 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
yet.

Then they'll get popular, rake in big bucks from corporations, and the cycle goes on.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

DarthPaul

April 21, 2009, 01:24:51 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Which is why when that happen videos like this are made to throw a wrench into the proverbial cogs of that cycle.

Archael

April 21, 2009, 01:53:08 pm #36 Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:35:57 pm by Archael
moved to 2nd post

philsov

April 21, 2009, 01:54:41 pm #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Quote from: "ph33rb0t"Which is why when that happen videos like this are made to throw a wrench into the proverbial cogs of that cycle.

Youtube is ultimately a business, meaning they want to make money.  They are quite aware that if they sell out they will lose some user base.  If they lose too many users, it becomes counterproductive.   If they go under for not going corporate, that's even worse.  

Unless that video is advocating leaving the site if it becomes too corporate or encourages people to somehow hand over money to youtube, it's nothing short of masturbation.  Asking youtube to "DO SOMETHING" isn't helping anyone anywhere.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Archael

April 21, 2009, 02:35:40 pm #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
QuoteActually, most major websites do announce changes they make, and Youtube is no exception:

http://www.youtube.com/blog

A little out of the way, but nothing a determined search could find.

Hehe did you even read that article? Take a look at your own link:

QuoteToday we're excited to announce a new destination for television shows and an improved destination for movies on YouTube, where partners like Crackle, CBS, MGM, Lionsgate, Starz and many others have made thousands of television episodes and hundreds of movies available for you to watch, comment on, favorite and share. This addition is one of many efforts underway to ensure that we're offering you all the different kinds of video you want to see, from bedroom vlogs and citizen journalism reports to music videos and full-length films and TV shows.

To help you navigate through all this great content, we're introducing two new tabs to the YouTube masthead: the "Shows" tab allows you to browse shows by genre, network, title and popularity, while the "Subscriptions" tab will grant logged-in users one-click access to fresh content from their favorite creators.

Another change you'll notice today is the wider roll-out of in-stream ads, which we've been testing since October, to support our shows and movies content -- not unlike what you might see when viewing this type of content on TV.

While shows and movies are currently limited to users in the U.S., we look forward to expanding to other regions as soon as possible, and we're pleased to inform you that the "Subscriptions" tab will be available worldwide in the next few weeks.

We hope you enjoy watching shows and movies on YouTube. There's still work to be done and we look forward to iterating with you, whether that's rolling out new engagement features, expanding our content offering or improving your viewing experience. And, as with everything we do, we'll track your usage and feedback to preserve your fundamental YouTube experience while we take these steps to enhance it.

IE: Hey we haven't added the Hulu IP's yet, just give us a few. And our links split aren't on the actual site yet, but they will, and then HuluTube is complete and everything on Youtube ATM gets moved over to the "Subcribtions/videostablol" where your views will become.. exactly like therealweeklynews said!

I think the importance of the split between "$$$Corporate-backed Intellectual Property Rental Streaming with Ads thrown in" and "Everything else" flew right by your head with regards to the impact it will have on the Youtube user.

Quote from: "Dokurider"Once again, Youtube is a privately-owned organization. Private organizations has the right to suppress Free Speech on it's own website(s).

Free Speech and a free and fair exchange of ideas is what built Youtube. What we are getting at is that Youtube --> Hulutube is a change which will remove the things that made Youtube popular and loved by so many in the first place. We are warning of what will happen if Youtube goes through with it's observed, predictable, and repeated behavior to side with the corporate in the past.

QuoteGamefaqs does it all the time.

Corporate-backing Hulutube will become worse and worse the more it becomes like GameFAQS. I'm glad you brought that example up.

Listen to what DP is saying.

As for the proof of the video, I think we already established that for me, YT's previous behavior as stated in the video is proof enough for me, but it isn't for you.

QuoteThe claims in this video are completely unfounded. No matter how much you try, you cannot refute this one damning fact. No matter what the intent is, if there is no evidence to support it, then it is unfounded. Simple as that.

Then I guess you will have to wait for them to be proven true beyond all doubt before you agree to them. The thing is by then, it will be too late to do anything about it. Thus the whole point of the video.

You already agreed that entities like companies have predictable behavior, especially when you are able to understand their reasons.

Like you said here:
QuoteI'd believe that companies have predictable behavior though.
Things like Youtube's decision making being split between their own survival as a business (read: has more to do with users than money) and their appeasing of the corporate world at the cost of users are examples of this.

If you can understand that, the claims in this video are far from unfounded.

That is like me telling you the following:

IMAGINARY EXAMPLE: Zodiac has always closed the first topic of the month on the 1.3 forum for the past year. Next month, if he does it again, things are going to change. Everyone is tired of when he does it. You as a small 1.3 forum reader need to consider how it will change things this time. That's what the video is saying.

Are you saying it is unfounded to make a statement (video) that talks about the consequences of Zodiac acting in the same, predictable, observed behavior that he's always had?

You keep saying the claims in the video and my arguments to support them fall because they are unfounded, but the only reason you perceive it that way is because you don't (or seem to refuse to) understand that they have, in reality, a very good backing based on Youtube's past behavior.

Like I said before, not everything revolves around "Show me X Numerical Factual Proof, or it's unfounded and I just can't do anything about it, sorry".

If you seriously think this is how the behavior of Youtube, it's users, and other entities (everyone else) is formed, then you are sorely mistaken.

By your logic, we should never do anything about anything, because we have no factual evidence to prove that a predictable, observable pattern is going to fuck us in the ass yet again.

Why prepare for Hurricanes? Weather patterns are impossible to predict with 100% accuracy. Why prepare for them Doku?

We don't have 100% conclusive evidence that the hurricane will come this way, do we?

Let's just go to the beach!

You have observed that every few months of the year, some small island in the caribbean gets wrecked to fuck in an extremely violent, high-category freak of nature storm.

Why WOULD YOU prepare for it? Let's just do nothing about it and sit on our asses.

The TV Reporters telling everyone to get the fuck off the island or die are just being alarmists. They are making unfounded claims based on past behavior!!!

Fuck that observable, predictable, and repeated past behavior! I can't be bothered to make decisions based on observing it!!

Why call child abuse? The father beats his kid every friday night he comes home drunk. Everyone has seen him do it repeatedly.

BUT WAIT! We have no 100% conclusive evidence that he will do it NEXT Friday, or ever again!

Let's do nothing about it. They are just being alarmists.

Like you said:

QuoteThere is no evidence to support it, then it is unfounded.

Dokurider

April 21, 2009, 03:05:14 pm #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
QuoteWhat we are getting at is that Youtube --> Hulutube is a change which will remove the things that made Youtube popular and loved by so many in the first place.

Except you've provided no evidence that IOC creators will even be negatively affected in the first place.

QuoteCorporate-backing Hulutube will become worse and worse the more it becomes like GameFAQS. I'm glad you brought that example up.

Listen to what ph33rb0t is saying.

As for the proof of the video, I think we already established that for me, YT's previous behavior as stated in the video is proof enough for me, but it isn't for you.

QuoteAt best, you've established intent, that Youtube doesn't care if it hurts IOC creators or not. But that's all you got. You still have no evidence that these changes will actually hurt anyone.

Intent =/= Actual Harm

QuoteThen I guess you will have to wait for them to be proven true beyond all doubt before you agree to them. The thing is by then, it will be too late to do anything about it. Thus the whole point of the video.

Do you really know if will be too late to do anything about it, before actual evidence comes out? Who is working on providing actual evidence? Exactly when will be out? What if the evidence comes out contrary to your claims? What if it comes out before its 'too late', irregardless of whether it supports your claims or not? You'll look like a real dumbass then.