• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:54:16 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Barren

I'll come up with a team that uses phoenix blade correctly after this weekend because I don't normally ever use phoenix blade but I have come up with something that may work. Not to say other strategies with the phoenix blade didn't work before but I feel that there is one other use for it
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Dokurider

Phoenix Blade + Knight + Balance + Platina Helmet = Unit of the Year

Malroth

well ALWAYS  overrites IMMUNE so you're going to be slowed regardless, i suppose the poison immunity might be slightly helpful.

reinoe

Quote from: Malroth on November 23, 2013, 02:36:30 am
well ALWAYS  overrites IMMUNE so you're going to be slowed regardless, i suppose the poison immunity might be slightly helpful.

What overwrites "Always"?
My dreams can come true!

Dokurider

Platina Helmet is exclusively for the Poison protection. Without it, your Balance Knight is worthless after getting sprayed by Poison and getting killed because Poison will eat through the HP Reraise gives you. You could also allocate your Poison protection to 108 Gems and grab Gold Helmet for a more complete protection package.

Haste 2 and Battled Up Monk was the key to victory here. Round 1 had a lack of hasting and when the monk finally died, the match was pretty much over. Round 2 was almost lost until the Time Mage got Haste 2 off.

Quote from: reinoe on November 23, 2013, 02:47:20 am
What overwrites "Always"?

Nothing should short of destroying the item itself. Malroth just assumed I was adding Platina Helmet to try to cancel out Slow.

Fenire

November 23, 2013, 08:47:05 am #2566 Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:47:12 pm by Fenire
How do you do spoilers with custom text?

I was hoping Grand Cross would hit harder, but he sang like he was meant too. I will have to JP scrounge and see if I can replace redundanater.

Dokurider

["spoiler"=Text Here][/"spoiler"]

Yeah Thief Hat really tripped you up. I wouldn't worry too much about how much you're dealing. while I think Warpath is unnecessary because you already have Battle Song and PA Save to build your damage, your Paladin is built to gain power.

Elmdork

November 26, 2013, 08:29:49 am #2570 Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 10:38:55 am by Rouroni Elmdor
Not as bad as I expected considering the team I was facing, though you input my samurai incorrectly. She comes with two swords and kiyomori x 2. I was gonna use the muramasa, but with her MA to begin with, why even give her the option for melee. Surprised my monk actually used some break techniques. He DOES have +30% to break techniques. So, I'll change monk with crossbow, beef up my archer and my thief (who needs a full overhaul)a bit..

Thanks for the post, I know putting secret clothes units in an arena setting was bad, but I needed to see how they behave. I was hoping they'd use the samurai for cover and make a bottleneck, almost, had his team on their heels, but with no toughness, they weren't phased too badly.

Needs:

More damage
More health
Adjusted turn order (or just some way to make samurai more effective)
Complete thief overhaul

Edit: I'd prefer if you used my other team. They're more refined. Thanks for the posts' they're helping. I eventually want to design a tournament team, the dorter city grave robbers was my initial idea for that, but it lacks staying power.
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

Malroth

November 26, 2013, 03:35:05 pm #2571 Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:43:04 pm by Malroth
2 swords was not listed although that does explain the 900 unspent JP

Edit
Needs

More Damage

Are you daft man?  all the sacrifices you made to get all the damage you had was the cause of 75% of your problems

formerdeathcorps

November 26, 2013, 04:29:31 pm #2572 Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:10:43 pm by formerdeathcorps
Malroth, I disagree.  His team indeed has a load of problems, but too much damage isn't one of them.

Rock man
Male
Aries
Monk
Snipe
Speed save
Equip ranged
Jump +2
Gastrafitis
Chakra band
Santa outfit
Bracer
stigma magic, revive
Armor break, shield break, head break, weapon brake

1) This monk can't heal himself.  If the rest of the team dies, he runs into the corner and never comes out.
2) Why are you running all four breaks on a non-elemental damage user?  The AI will prefer break only when (elemental) damage dealt < HP removed (except for weapon and shield break).  If this was me, this monk would only have weapon break, arm aim (and maybe shield break).
3) EQ Ranged is not a good monk support.  Ar / Mk running Gastrafitis off the same setup can deal the same damage off ATKUP (and the damage can be further boosted if you switch to Twist Headband).

Sensei
Male
Capricorn
Archer
Item
Speed save
Throw
Jump +1
Windslash bow
Twist headband
Brigandine
Magic ring
Arm aim, head break, armor break, hawk's eye
X potion, phoenix down, antidote, soft, echo grass, ether

1) Your entire squad absorbs wind BUT you also have X-Potion and Throw Item?  Considering the high brave and good compats, your squad is going to be healed more by windslash bow + proc than by X-Potion.  Of course, you want your archer to be able to heal himself, but your team should avoid redundancy.
2) Hawk's Eye won't work here because PA > SP, so your weapon does more damage.  In fact, because you are at 9 SPD, every 8 SPD unit on the enemy team will midcharge you.  Even if you assume the AI is smart enough to use it against 10+ SPD units, since the biggest threat from those teams are Cursed Ring users, seal evil is better.
3) If the enemy nulls / halves wind, you need a reply.  Arm Aim and Armor Break are essentially two different ways to counter the same thing, but if your monk has arm aim, then this unit doesn't need it.  I'd say head / armor / shield break alongside seal evil is best.
4) Personally, I'd switch this unit to Mythril Bow because +1 SPD makes your item-bot stronger, but that would require changing up the rest of your team.

Bridge man
Male
Serpentarius
Thief
Snipe
Dragon spirit
Equip ranged
Move-hp up
Windslash bow
Flash hat
Santa outfit
Wizard mantle
arm aim, seal evil, hawk's eye

1) Why does the fastest unit on your squad have no ability to revive?  As it currently stands, it is impossible for your monk or archer to revive him without his turn already passing unless the battle lasts for 10 turns.
2) Why does he not have steal heart or quickening?
3) Why does he have neutral compat with the rest of your team when elemental healing is a key part of your defense?
4) Although the thief will favor hawkeye over normal attacks, everything I said about CT problems applies to this thief.
5) Why is he wearing a flash hat on top of 40 faith?  That just exposes him to ninjitsu and he doesn't really need more magic defense.

Zero
Female
Cancer
Samurai
Yin yang magic
MA save
Two swords
Move mp-up
Kiyomori
Kiyomori
Crystal helmet
Linen robe
Magic ring
Masamune, heaven's cloud
paralyze

1) Samurai has innate 2H.  You just waste JP for 2S and MA Save to get the same amount of damage.  Before you argue that you need more MA, what are you using that MA for?  If it's just to boost heaven's cloud, EQ Magegear + Prismatic Rod accomplishes the same thing.  If you want damage and +MA, then you should look into EQ Polearm + Ivory Rod.
2) Why does this samurai not have murasame?  Without it, your samurai cannot heal herself.  Honestly, the range on it and heaven's cloud is the same, but you won't be slowing your own team and can heal yourself.
3) Why the crystal helm?  I'd use a circlet or even a barbuta here.
4) Since you only have one masamune user, your samurai won't be doing anything else because of the priority the AI gives haste.

Overall, I think too many bow users are hampering this team (because Projectile Guard then walls it).  I'd probably consider a melee thief (2H Air Knife + Undead)?
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Malroth

apparently he gave a compelete from the ground up rewrite since last night,  when i input the team everybody was wearing twist headbands, power sleeves and bracers.

Elmdork

November 26, 2013, 10:08:07 pm #2574 Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:20:41 am by Rouroni Elmdor
Quote from: Malroth on November 26, 2013, 03:35:05 pm
2 swords was not listed although that does explain the 900 unspent JP

Edit
Are you daft man?  all the sacrifices you made to get all the damage you had was the cause of 75% of your problems

Err.. two swords was always there, since the beginning. Thanks death corps for the analysis, I'll keep working away at them, but I am more focused on my other team which may end up becoming my tournament team, but I need to see them in action. The only variable I have in mind for the grave robbers is if the bard would be more useful as a damage dealer, or if I can weasel by using him for support only. I would like to see them square off against truelight's tournament winning team. After seeing that I'll know what I can and can't get away with.

Barren

November 27, 2013, 07:29:09 am #2575 Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:46:39 am by Barren
Im uploading three gauntlet series videos tomorrow and one of them will feature your teams rouroni elmdor. So stay tuned everyone for that

Barren

Quote from: Fenire on November 27, 2013, 08:00:01 am
Your the best Barren.

Thank you :-)

One of the series actually has all of your teams fenire

Fenire

Awesome! I have been Jonesing for a fight, but multiple is even better. I don't think Sing Sang will do well; I mostly just wanted to test out bard with a Phoenix Blade.

Elmdork

Awesome. Thanks, barren! You can use either team. I feel fairly confident in both now.