• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 06:58:21 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

First try at a sprite

Started by wicked1one11!!, February 18, 2010, 08:59:12 pm

SilvasRuin

You keep running into the same pillowshading problem.  Look it up so you know what to stop doing.  (I'd link you an explanation myself, but I don't seem to have it saved anywhere...)

Kagebunji

Now that is a good char selection, Jill Valentine, nice! Use Rafa's arms, chest isn't needed, and pillowshading as all said.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Tonb3rry

o.o
Wasn't trying to get an argument going, lol

Do like the new direction you took the sprite, Wicked.

jimmyjw88

Do what mav said for the mask. As for the new sprite, looks good so far.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

wicked1one11!!

Ok, gave her Rafa arms..hope that looks better!
Also changed the shading on her hair to make it less..pillowy xD
I wanna get her fundamentals down before doing a full blown sprite sheet of her.

Also I attempted at doing a portrait..and I'm not sure to continue it or scrap it..
Anyone willing to give it a shot? So far I've found making a portrait..frustrating xD

jimmyjw88

Sprite ~ Looks okay but what's wrong with her left boot? Her hair need some fixes. Her left shoulder is bit odd. Hmm...

Portrait ~ First of all, her hair colour is different from the sprite and the reference. Second, somethings odd about her face. Hmm...Oh, what happened under her ear?
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

mav

With the portrait, she's missing some ear, her face is either too long or too narrow, and the hair doesn't have enough shape to match the sprite. Keep working on it. I might be able to take a shot at it, but I'm pretty busy now, so I dunno...

wicked1one11!!

Made her face smaller, added some volume to the hair. Again, wanna get the fundamentals down before going and fixing the coloring..and frankly I'm too scared to try the shoulders/body right now @ .@;

jimmyjw88

Face is kinda round. Make it pointy bit. Also, her side hairs are messy, especially her left.

EDIT: How about this? [attachment=0:36rohx8g]Jill.png[/attachment:36rohx8g]

mav

I like it, Jimmy.

As for your portrait, wicked, it could use a little work: her forehead is a little too long, the right part of her hair (our left) is too wide, the mouth is too small, and the ear is misshapen.

jimmyjw88

Haha. Yeah, it was a quick sketch; 5 minutes + work ^^

Cheetah

I think Mav was refering to Wicked1one11's portrait attempt Jimmy.

Jimmy your looks like a really good start. It seems a bit small though as a whole though.
Current Projects:

jimmyjw88

Oh, sorry xD

Hmm...she does looks smaller than others. Oh, this is the reference that I based on.
[attachment=0:1p8vadm0]jill valentine.jpg[/attachment:1p8vadm0]

mav

Hah, no problem. Once you add some color to this portrait it'll be easier to tell whether it's too small, the eyes are misaligned, etc.

wicked1one11!!

Tried to make a portrait outta Jimmy's quick sketch, Thanks again for that! ~<3
Also I'm so sorry guys this is taking me forever to get good at, you've all been so helpful!

Also started on the next frame of the sprite

jimmyjw88

Well, those blacks under her chin are suppose to be the shadows. You're not putting any shadows there but rather using that as the line for her chin. And because of that, she has square jaw now.

mav

You're on the right track, you've just left out a lot of shadow--she needs some around her hair, cheek, chin, and neckline. Make sure to anti-alias where necessary.

jimmyjw88

How's this?
[attachment=0:1h2pq5xx]Jill1.png[/attachment:1h2pq5xx]

mav

She looks a wee bit masculine...

Kagebunji

She looks too angry IMO, she isn't angry type of char.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown