• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 04:56:33 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Razele's ASM Hacks

Started by Razele, January 01, 2009, 02:08:08 pm

Asmo X

February 20, 2009, 10:42:05 pm #520 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Quote from: "philsov"
Quote from: "Asmo X"Yeah having another slot for evasion is probably not the best idea but Abandon should really be a 33% boost anyway. What if Phalanx added defense and/or magic defense? It would only stack with the supports then.

Unless the supports no longer stack with protect/shell, phalanx + protect + def up is ~75% total damage reduction, depending on truncation.

Yeah I just remembered protect/shell this morning. Phalanx wouldn't have been 33% or anything since I was hoping for it to spread to adjacent units. So if there were 3 phalanx users in a line, the middle guy would get a shit ton. Still, with protect it's a bit much.

tithin

February 21, 2009, 10:13:42 am #521 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by tithin
Trappers March: Has a 33% chance of dropping a random trap on a random, unoccupied tile within three tiles, at the end of your movement turn. No trap placed if no movement occurs. The trap is randomly chosen. Maximum of five per map, inclusive of existing traps on the map.

Traps are one time use, chosen from a series of four traps.

33% Poison
33% Bleeding
33% Slow
1% Stop
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Hey, Cosgrove, how come you never married?"
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Because I eat too much meat."
14:46  @Celdia          ò Heresy. No such thing as 'too much meat'
14:47  @Celdia          ò One night with tithin would teach you that.

PX_Timefordeath

February 21, 2009, 03:09:17 pm #522 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
a support ability

Manafeed: 10% of your physical damage goes straight to the mana of the enemy, but you take 25% more damage from physical attacks

Dokurider

February 21, 2009, 04:07:13 pm #523 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
Quote from: "PX_Timefordeath"a support ability

Manafeed: 10% of your physical damage goes straight to the mana of the enemy, but you take 25% more damage from physical attacks

Not yet. Save it when we get to the supports.

Razele

February 21, 2009, 10:10:08 pm #524 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Razele
QuoteRoll
Increases movement going downhill, and decreases movement going uphill
Previously, this movement ability will be merged with Fly,
but since it's too good, we still discuss what should be done with Fly / Float / Ignore Height.

QuoteTrappers March: Has a 33% chance of dropping a random trap on a random, unoccupied tile within three tiles, at the end of your movement turn. No trap placed if no movement occurs. The trap is randomly chosen. Maximum of five per map, inclusive of existing traps on the map.

Traps are one time use, chosen from a series of four traps.

33% Poison
33% Bleeding
33% Slow
1% Stop
Interesting, but it won't be easy to create this movement ability.

Quotea support ability

Merging Magic Break with Attack command seems too powerful.
With Gun (100% hit rate), you can destroy magician's MP easily.

Asmo X

February 21, 2009, 11:36:08 pm #525 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Fly: Pass through obstacles + Ignore height

Float: Float + Ignore Height -or- more movement at higher altitude

Last rites: Instant death to critical enemies when you stop in front of them

Fog of War: Movement penalty to enemy units within a 2 or 3 panel radius

Kick: 100% knockback added to attacks when attacking from the side

New Phalanx: Front evasion applied to side and back of both units when a unit with this skill moves next to an ally

SentinalBlade

February 21, 2009, 11:36:12 pm #526 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Some of these hacks i suggest you make multiple of. like just do Manafeed, cause some people are going to want it. some people(like me) will want ot use it for a boss battle. which if it was made, id totally replace one of the ones i dont need.

Make multiple things for one movement ability. instead of deciding on one that everyone will use, give them a choice. maybe they would rather have roll replace fly, rather than phalanx replacing it.

In essence, if it seems to powerful, there are alot of things you can do in the patcher to keep it semi-balanced. some things like vanilla blade graps just needed to be reworked, or have an abilities blade grasp flag unchecked to not trigger it.

Razele

February 22, 2009, 01:32:21 am #527 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Razele
Well, when I said some ideas are too imbalanced or too good, that doesn't mean I won't use that idea.
Maybe it needs some tweak, or add some condition etc.

For example, in Manafeed case, it needs some tweak before it can be used properly.
Maybe change the percentage to be higher but limit the amount of MP loss with attacker's current MP or something like that.

QuoteMake multiple things for one movement ability. instead of deciding on one that everyone will use, give them a choice. maybe they would rather have roll replace fly, rather than phalanx replacing it.

Well, I already said this, but independent hack, like Wall reduces physical damage by 99% and Defending reduces physical damage by 25% use triggers.
Defending use Protect and Wall use Charging trigger.
Once a trigger is used, it can't be used anymore. If someone else used that trigger, it won't be compatible with each other.
There's a limited amount of triggers that can be used. Eventually, all triggers will be used.
To preserve the trigger used, I would prefer to make a set of 'balanced' movement / support / reaction ability, that
can be used by all patch, rather than make individual hack that only be used by certain person / patch.

In movement ability hack, there's only 'one' trigger that can be used, so it's hard to make independent hack.

tithin

February 22, 2009, 01:36:36 am #528 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by tithin
Magic Addict: Regenerates 15% mana per movement at a cost of 7.5% life per movement turn.
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Hey, Cosgrove, how come you never married?"
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Because I eat too much meat."
14:46  @Celdia          ò Heresy. No such thing as 'too much meat'
14:47  @Celdia          ò One night with tithin would teach you that.

Setzer

February 22, 2009, 05:23:06 am #529 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Setzer
Have you checked those ASM on a console?
'Cause I used some of them and they're working fine, but the "Defending reduces physical damage by 25%" made the swords and knifes acts strangely, but just on the console, it worked well on the emulator.

Razele

February 22, 2009, 08:09:36 am #530 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Razele
QuoteHave you checked those ASM on a console?
'Cause I used some of them and they're working fine, but the "Defending reduces physical damage by 25%" made the swords and knifes acts strangely, but just on the console, it worked well on the emulator.
No, I don't check the result on console.

Are you sure you're using a clean ISO, only applied one asm hack (Defending hack),
then, the swords and knifes act strangely ?

Anyone here has the same problem as Setzer when applying the Defending hack on console ?

QuoteMagic Addict: Regenerates 15% mana per movement at a cost of 7.5% life per movement turn.
Lvl 50 Wizard with 300 HP and 200 MP will recover :
45 MP at the cost of 22.5 HP
Sounds good. It can replace Preserve-MP / Move-MP Up.
There should be a limitation, to prevent the magician die because of HP penalty, something like :
only work if the health is above 50%, and the MP is below 50%

QuoteFly: Pass through obstacles + Ignore height
Hmmm, isn't this the same as old Fly ?

QuoteFloat: Float + Ignore Height -or- more movement at higher altitude
Isn't it better if Ignore Height combined with more movement at higher altitude ?

QuoteLast rites: Instant death to critical enemies when you stop in front of them
In my opinion, it's not too useful, since it's not often to encounter a bunch of enemies in critical status.
With 3 movement, you'll have a hard time catching the enemies, and before you reach them, their friends will throw X-Potion.

QuoteFog of War: Movement penalty to enemy units within a 2 or 3 panel radius
Since all movement ability changed to give temporary movement bonus, it's too powerful,
especially if you use 3-4 people with this kind of ability.

QuoteNew Phalanx: Front evasion applied to side and back of both units when a unit with this skill moves next to an ally
I have to make sure my asm hack still compatible with Zodiac's evasion hack.

QuoteKick: 100% knockback added to attacks when attacking from the side
Sounds good but I don't know if it's possible.

Celdia

February 22, 2009, 09:55:33 am #531 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Celdia
Was brainstorming in chat and got directed here to post my ideas for some skills. If these are mechanically impossible or similar ideas have been posted prior, please disregard.

Crouch: Move skill that puts the unit into Defend status at the end of their move/round.

Lunge: Move or Support skill that increases a units attack reach with non-ranged weapons by 1 or more panels at a penalty to Move. Various thoughts on this one, either making it a -1 Move/+1 Range always or -1 Move for each panel you extend your attack by. As a Support only skill, making 1 panel weapons have spear/pole/etc 2-panel range would be interesting.

Another move skill idea that came to mind was something that mimics the FFTA2 random special actions that change based on how many/what type of units you are near when activated. The idea would be something like in a round where you don't move bonuses are applied to your adjacent allies (or penalties to adjacent enemies...or both) after you've selected the Wait command. Like adding a status effect or temporarily granting a support/reaction skill to those allies until they move away. If this can be done, any number of skills can be made from it all for different statuses.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Dokurider

February 22, 2009, 10:44:57 am #532 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
By too good you mean too good to have fly or OP?

Asmo X

February 22, 2009, 11:11:35 am #533 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Well the first mod we had of fly did Ignore Height, Pass obstacles, and more movement at higher altitude. It was just broken as hell. Old Fly should remain, and Roll (I like the name "Boulder" too) should be a new, separate skill but without the penalty for moving upwards. I think.

Also Razele it's weird how you think Last rites isn't useful enough whereas I think it runs the risk of being too powerful. The move would basically give you 2 turns when you encounter a critical enemy. Moving to the enemy kills them, and then you can use your action turn to heal/attack someone else/take some other action. Could we change it like this:

Last rites: a support skill that adds Dead 100% (so it wont work on bosses) against critical enemies in adjacent panels (works from any direction) at the end of your move turn. This is a version the AI could use properly as well. This will be useful, don't worry. Perhaps too useful.

How about this mod to Fog of War: Only activates if you end your turn without taking an action, ends at the start of your next turn. Area is a 3 panel radius from unit.

And yeah, I just can't think of anything to make Float work anymore. Old Fly is just so much better.

Celdia

February 22, 2009, 11:26:04 am #534 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Celdia
Float? It boosts you off the ground. Have the 'height advantage' of it give you a bonus to....something. Anything. I never really used Float at all before but doesn't it give you resitance/immunity to Earth attacks/effects? (Earth Slash comes to mind initially)

Razele

February 22, 2009, 11:55:38 am #535 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Razele
QuoteBy too good you mean too good to have fly or OP?
Too overpowered.

QuoteLunge: Move or Support skill that increases a units attack reach with non-ranged weapons by 1 or more panels at a penalty to Move. Various thoughts on this one, either making it a -1 Move/+1 Range always or -1 Move for each panel you extend your attack by. As a Support only skill, making 1 panel weapons have spear/pole/etc 2-panel range would be interesting.

Increasing range of the weapons can be interesting.

QuoteAnother move skill idea that came to mind was something that mimics the FFTA2 random special actions that change based on how many/what type of units you are near when activated. The idea would be something like in a round where you don't move bonuses are applied to your adjacent allies (or penalties to adjacent enemies...or both) after you've selected the Wait command. Like adding a status effect or temporarily granting a support/reaction skill to those allies until they move away. If this can be done, any number of skills can be made from it all for different statuses.
Yeah, I'm planning this skill for Mime.

QuoteCrouch: Move skill that puts the unit into Defend status at the end of their move/round.
Interesting, but it will override Defend as support skill, unless we rework Defend first.

QuoteHow about this mod to Fog of War: Only activates if you end your turn without taking an action, ends at the start of your next turn. Area is a 3 panel radius from unit.

The problem, AI can't take advantage of this ability.

QuoteLast rites: a support skill that adds Dead 100% (so it wont work on bosses) against critical enemies in adjacent panels (works from any direction) at the end of your move turn. This is a version the AI could use properly as well. This will be useful, don't worry. Perhaps too useful.
We need to test if AI is capable to 're-calculate' their action.
Based on my memory, Sometimes, there's a few delay (1-3 seconds) for AI think a while before it moves,
after it moves, there's not much delay.

Asmo X

February 22, 2009, 12:01:22 pm #536 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Yeah I have a feeling phalanx, fog of war and last rites will not work thanks to the AI

Celdia

February 22, 2009, 01:49:53 pm #537 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Celdia
Yeay I had an interesting idea!

samuchan

February 22, 2009, 03:42:17 pm #538 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by samuchan
Any hope of figuring out a way for a unit to move during an attack or skill, ending up on a different panel when finished?

Seems like the next logical step after all the progress going on.

Razele

February 23, 2009, 12:24:05 am #539 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Razele
* Fixed several issue with JP scroll glitch
* Special characters can do Propositions

Quote from: "samuchan"Any hope of figuring out a way for a unit to move during an attack or skill, ending up on a different panel when finished?

Seems like the next logical step after all the progress going on.

Something like Teleport Strike ? No, I haven't tried that yet.
It would be cool if that ability can be done.