• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 08:56:29 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Favorite Final Fantasy

Started by Smitson, December 01, 2009, 06:28:18 pm

Favorite Final Fantasy

I
0 (0%)
II
1 (1.8%)
III
1 (1.8%)
IV
6 (10.7%)
V
3 (5.4%)
VI
8 (14.3%)
VII
13 (23.2%)
VIII
5 (8.9%)
IX
12 (21.4%)
X
7 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: December 02, 2009, 03:37:50 pm

Sephirot24

December 03, 2009, 01:01:26 am #40 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sephirot24
Aire Tam Shot V_V

I remember I W-item'd hero drinks. around 3 for each character (barret, cloud and red xiii) and then whacked with KOTR (just once, had 1 star only), quadra ultima, 4x cut, and limits, while keeping regen and both barriers up. Pretty crappy method, but no way in hell i'm gonna grind what most of you guys do.

Kaijyuu

December 03, 2009, 03:01:36 am #41 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
6 and FFT are roughly equal in my eyes. Objectively though, 6 has a lot of nostalgia value for me, so I'd say FFT is a better game.

After that it's:

MQ

I never liked the NES games much. 9 would be MUCH higher if I didn't find the gameplay to be so boring.

EDIT: Stuck mystic quest in there for good measure.
  • Modding version: PSX

jimmyjw88

December 03, 2009, 03:12:09 am #42 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Quote from: "goldenshinywire"
Quote from: "Voldemort"it looks like no one read my post

I repeat:

Quote from: "Voldemort"1. VII
2. VII
3. VII
4. VII
5. VII
6. VII
7. VII
8. VII
9. VII
10. VII
11. VII
12. VII
13. VII
14. VII
15. VII
16. VII

Seconded.
Haha. FFVII OWNED!!! But I like FFIX. Never play others before, unfortunately. Haha.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Dokurider

December 05, 2009, 04:47:08 pm #43 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
Tactics
XII
VIII
X
VII

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

December 09, 2009, 11:37:22 am #44 Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:41:13 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Please, don't let FFIX win.  The game was good, but Zidane sucked completely.  Vivi, Steiner, Amarant, Garnet, Eiko, Beatrix - all were awesome characters, but Zidane had less personality than a plank of wood.  Your main character should be a highlight of your game, not the detracter to it.

Also, you fought god at the end for no plotworthy reason.  That was wierd.

SilvasRuin

December 09, 2009, 02:26:56 pm #45 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
I think the final boss was supposed to weird on purpose.  Some sort of inside joke about how the final bosses of the series all tend to appear out of nowhere.

The main character detracting from the game due to being a plank of wood is kind of traditional, at least recently.  I honestly don't believe that's true and the characters have more depth than people give them credit, but I certainly can't argue against them being annoying.

LastingDawn

December 09, 2009, 10:21:22 pm #46 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Let's see....

Chaos, Cloud of Darkness, Zeromus (to a much lesser extent)... then after that, it's pretty expected.

Exodus, Kefka, Sephiroth, Ultimecia, though X pulls that trick again with Yu Yevon,
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Kaijyuu

December 09, 2009, 11:12:10 pm #47 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Quote from: "SilvasRuin"The main character detracting from the game due to being a plank of wood is kind of traditional, at least recently.  I honestly don't believe that's true and the characters have more depth than people give them credit, but I certainly can't argue against them being annoying.
The personality devoid main character is pretty prevalent throughout the FF series. Even the ones who aren't that way tend to be really annoying (tidus).

Final Fantasy hasn't had a non-annoying and deep main character since Butz. And his personality tends to get lost in translation.

Smitson

December 09, 2009, 11:34:37 pm #48 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Quote from: "Kuraudo Sutoraifu"Please, don't let FFIX win.  The game was good, but Zidane sucked completely.  Vivi, Steiner, Amarant, Garnet, Eiko, Beatrix - all were awesome characters, but Zidane had less personality than a plank of wood.  Your main character should be a highlight of your game, not the detracter to it.

Also, you fought god at the end for no plotworthy reason.  That was wierd.

How in the hell did Zidane have less personality then Dagger, Eiko, Beatrix (who is a minor character), well really any of them.

LastingDawn

December 10, 2009, 04:14:25 pm #49 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "Kaijyuu"
Quote from: "SilvasRuin"The main character detracting from the game due to being a plank of wood is kind of traditional, at least recently.  I honestly don't believe that's true and the characters have more depth than people give them credit, but I certainly can't argue against them being annoying.
The personality devoid main character is pretty prevalent throughout the FF series. Even the ones who aren't that way tend to be really annoying (tidus).

Final Fantasy hasn't had a non-annoying and deep main character since Butz. And his personality tends to get lost in translation.

Hmm, while I do agree Bartz is a pretty good main character, I feel that Terra/Celes held the flame rather bright for main character at the time.
Terra was a rather mysterious girl and played the role well, and the circumstances surrounding her and the importance she had was very well highlighted.

Celes is introduced with a lot less bravado, seen in a couple of flashbacks prior to being jailed and rescued by Locke, she would seem to only play a love interest to Locke, but they made her stand out so much more for her actions. Even further she takes the lead role in the World of Ruin, bringing the whole group back together. There it seems that Locke was made into the hanger onto Celes, rather then the other way around. A fantastic role reversal for the time.

Art of War

woodenbandman

December 10, 2009, 05:05:34 pm #50 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by woodenbandman
Mine is:
VI
IX
XII
VII
Then the ones I've barely played:
IV
V
Then the ones I've never played:
Then VIII

I hate VIII sooooo much. VII was okay, I still can't beat the weapons and I don't feel a lot of impetus to either, I've already got everything except the final attack -> phoenix combo.

And as an afterthought, Chrono Trigger stands out above all final fantasies to me. I just recently played it, and the least I can say is that I was moved. And by moved I mean I fought back tears like a little girl whose dog just died.

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

December 10, 2009, 06:00:01 pm #51 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Stating that the final boss comes out of nowhere in other FF games only makes those FF games worse, it doesn't really make IX better.  Two bosses LD pointed out, Cloud of Darkness and Zeromus, just kind of popped out of nowhere.  "You killed this big bad boss, now I'm going to to kill everyone!" is thier entire plot for one battle of the game.

Quote from: "Smitson"How in the hell did Zidane have less personality then Dagger, Eiko, Beatrix (who is a minor character), well really any of them.
Easily explained, my friend.  Zidane has no personality, thusly he has less than the three females you mentioned.

SilvasRuin

December 10, 2009, 06:23:33 pm #52 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
QuoteAnd as an afterthought, Chrono Trigger stands out above all final fantasies to me. I just recently played it, and the least I can say is that I was moved. And by moved I mean I fought back tears like a little girl whose dog just died.

And Chrono is the epitome of a main character with no personality.  It is an epic game though.

Personally, I feel that many characters who people claim have no personality actually do have personality... it's just one that the people find either boring or annoying.  The thing is that a boring personality is still a personality.

As I was saying, if you want to point out someone with no personality, point out Chrono.  He didn't even talk... at all.

Dominic NY18

December 10, 2009, 06:40:35 pm #53 Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:54:09 pm by Dominic NY18
By the criteria presented in the last bunch of posts, V is guilty of the "last boss from out of nowhere" syndrome as well (Neo Exdeath).

"You've killed me. Now I, having been comsumed by the Void, want to erase all existence."

But I've a question. What determines whether a character has personality or not?

SilvasRuin

December 10, 2009, 06:46:06 pm #54 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
That question is what I was just trying to address.  I suppose someone could argue that Chrono does have a personality that he shows through his actions though...  Basically the only ones I consider to truly have NO personality are the ones purposely designed that way back in the old RPGs where the game makers wanted the players to feel like the main character.

Dominic NY18

December 10, 2009, 07:29:07 pm #55 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
Quote from: "SilvasRuin"That question is what I was just trying to address.  I suppose someone could argue that Chrono does have a personality that he shows through his actions though...  Basically the only ones I consider to truly have NO personality are the ones purposely designed that way back in the old RPGs where the game makers wanted the players to feel like the main character.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you about Chrono. I'm just asking the question because "personality" in relation to FF protagonists came up.

SolidSnakeDog

December 10, 2009, 09:03:26 pm #56 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SolidSnakeDog
I like (almos) all the final fantasy games...i actually own em all form the frist one on NES to the 12 on PS2...
excluding the damn FF13...
Plan to get FFXIV once this came out.

Kaijyuu

December 10, 2009, 10:12:46 pm #57 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
@LD

If we're talking FF6 characters, almost every single one has more depth to them than Terra. Sure she's got an interesting backstory, but backstory alone doesn't give a character personality. Terra never made a decision throughout the entire game, with the sole exception of helping the children in the WoR. Everything else she decided to do either had no weight in the story (You want a Gauntlet or a Genji Glove?) or was done at the prodding of someone else (Please help us against the Empire. Please open the sealed gate. Please talk with the Espers. Please?).

There was a lot of potential in Terra that I think Square missed. There were plenty of parts in the game that she could've taken a more decisive role in, but instead she's just the thread that ties everything together for the first half of the game.

Edgar rigged the coin toss in his brother's favor.
Locke's depth rivals (if not surpasses) Delita's.
Celes is a lonely soldier with a conscience.
Terra... just does what she's told the vast majority of the game.

LastingDawn

December 10, 2009, 11:03:44 pm #58 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well, Terra isn't the sole main character in the game, she is meant to be portrayed that way. She's a tool from the start to the end of the World of Balance. Celes was meant to be the show stealer (quite literally) and in my opinion is the main character moreso than Terra. Terra may start the story, but she's not even needed to finish it.

Art of War

Kaijyuu

December 10, 2009, 11:17:10 pm #59 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Well, if you finish the game without Terra, she shows up anyway, so that kinda solidified her as the "main character" to me.

But yeah, FF6 has no true lead character. I'll agree with that.