• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:37:16 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Malroth

yeah, nobody has berserk protection because its almost impossible to get unless you're a samurai or paladin

The Damned

(*looks at Defense Ring*)

Uh....

*looks at Reflect Ring*

Um....
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

reinoe

T.D., when I go to your Youtube channel I don't see any of your uploaded videos.  When I go to "Browse Videos" there's nothing there.  Also when I go to "playlists" there's nothing there either.  That probably because you have everything hidden while you were trying to get everything set up.
My dreams can come true!

reinoe

January 06, 2013, 08:32:59 pm #1904 Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:33:40 pm by reinoe
I have to admit that I was surprised at this match.  Both teams hit for eleventy billion damage and can apply oil to their opponents.  I thought for sure Elebreak had the match.  Elebreak predictably won the first match and Air Kreig predictibly won the second match.  The third match was really interesting because what set the tone was when "Corrupt" on the Elebreak team tried to shoot the priest with Hawk's Eye.  Because he positioned himself badly he wound up too close to the enemy.  He was in range to get attacked by the Air Knife weilding "Luft-Jaeger".  The match still may have turned out differently if it wasn't a critical hit that killed "Corrupt" in one shot.  What really sealed it was the silence on "Hydroblast".  That's too much bad luck to overcome.  Also unfortunate was when the "Ziet-Reglar" brilliantly used Reflect Ring to anti-sandbag "Corrupt".  Reflect Ring totally backfired.  CT5HOLY may have to reconsider the ring altogether.  It wound up hurting him more than helping in this match.

EDIT...
Quote from: CT5Holy on January 06, 2013, 09:40:14 pm
Um, reinoe, I'm pretty sure I won my match - there was just a for-fun round 3.

Thanks for the vids Damned.

Yeah.  Watching the Wiz vs Dokurider match definitely turned my brain to mush.
My dreams can come true!

CT5Holy

Um, reinoe, I'm pretty sure I won my match - there was just a for-fun round 3.

Thanks for the vids Damned.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

The Damned

(Yeah, CT5Holy would have won by round 2 if that was a best of three, hence the rather...abrupt music style change in round 3.)

No problem. I figured that I should do something after not for so damn long, even with all my...issues.

As for the videos being unlisted still, that's intentional and why I linked to everything in the last post. I'll probably de-listed them in a week or so, but I'd rather try to get the damn annotations working on them before I make any of them public.

I demand perfection, damn it!

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on January 06, 2013, 08:36:36 pm
You missed Dracula Mantle.

Yeah, I realized that only five minutes after I posted and then didn't feel like editing it in.

*pats Dracula Mantle as it cries in the corner*

It's okay. You may never defeat a Belmont, but you're important...to someone else.

*walks off wearing a Wizard Mantle*

Anyway, re-rendering videos into MP4 is currently taking a hell of a lot longer for some reason. Currently getting to the end of re-rendering--now finally finished--the match between DarkxFatal & feeldawrath. Not sure what hell that's about.

Regardless, I should have at least three more videos up in a couple of hours.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

The Damned

(More like I'll spend a couple of hours pointless re-rendering videos I had already re-rendered and then another couple getting screwed over trying to record myself versus AeroGP.

By the Espers, why must Queklain/Cuchuulain's map at Lionel be such a pain in the ass? Same goes for pretty much every Deep Dungeon/Midlight's Deep map.)

Anyway, I'm still counting these as my videos for Sunday, so I'll be putting at least a couple on Monday. It will probably be three since TrueLight vs. CT5Holy is the last match I have thought shouldn't take close to an hour.

After that, due to the likely length of videos and other things, my pace will probably slow to one for the rest of the week and then I'm going to be "out" of things matches on that memory card:

FFT ARENA 138d - formerdeathcorps (Broken) vs. reinoe (Short Circuit) [10:36]

FFT ARENA 138d - DarkxFatal (Four Fangs) vs. feeldawrath (Team of Graces) [16:57]

FFT ARENA 138d - Angelus (Set of Bells) vs. Zalbagg (Dark Fire) [12:02]

I'll do my commentary on CT5Holy vs. Dokurider and Dokurider vs. myself come morning. Apologies.

*yawns*

Malroth

i officially am in music envy of the Dammed

reinoe

Quote from: The Damned on January 07, 2013, 03:08:51 am

FFT ARENA 138d - formerdeathcorps (Broken) vs. reinoe (Short Circuit) [10:36]

FFT ARENA 138d - DarkxFatal (Four Fangs) vs. feeldawrath (Team of Graces) [16:57]

FFT ARENA 138d - Angelus (Set of Bells) vs. Zalbagg (Dark Fire) [12:02]

Round 1.
It's a large map.  Does your team have Autopotion? No? AoE healing? No? MagicDefendUp/Shell or Flashhat? No? Oh ok, then I win.
Round 2.
Massive deaths via AoE midcharge madness.  Round 2 was full of epicness.  Changing my team now, because as awesome as that was I'd rather not win that way again.
Round3 A formality.  Functionally it's like a large map.

Round 1.
Darkx learns the hard way that if you run cheer song, you'd better pair it up with Phoenix blade.  His bard quickly become useless.  Then after everyone else on his team was dead the Bard stopped singing and started fighting.  Fighting really well!  Holy moley.  Unfortunately it was 4v1 at that point.
Round 2.
Once again in the long run Dark X needs stronger sandbag power.

Round 3.
Darkx' Summoner casts silence on Feel's Summoner near the end of round 3.  I think that this is his chance to turn it around.  Then feel's summoner hits Darkx' Summoner with her rod, causing Fire 2 to proc.  That's it, game over.

I don't know what it is but Zalbaag's "Dark Fire" performs so much better on small maps even though the team is more oriented towards spellcasting.  But when I saw the damage output on Angelus' team I suppose it was inevitable. 
My dreams can come true!

The Damned

(Ah, damn it. I knew I forgot to make a note of something in the last video's description. Meh. I'll add it later.)

Commentary time! First for the rest of the first batch of videos.

Actually, first, since I didn't say it when I posted those first batch of videos, I'll say something now: GG, Dokurider.

Thanks again for the help and all:

This was technically a victory for Dokurider, at least if were fighting a normal 2 of 3 and the middle map had been on Tutorial (1). That or another similar medium map where the Mediator could essentially murder one of the Scholars right off the bat; them having Faith Rods don't really matter since the Scholars gets OHKO'd by her anyway without it from what I can tell despite having Neutral compatibility due to Serpentarius.

So the best 3 out of 5 was me showing that maps of the same "size", especially ones that have been classified as medium and still acceptable for use, are hardly still "equal". Not that everyone didn't already know that, at least implicitly. Still, having video evidence of is good and being able to use up more maps is good considering those were to be used for Eternal vs. dragonblade's and Dokurider vs. Wiz's matches (Especially if it allows me to win in what's arguably "cheating"...not that this was the reason for anything. [/Suspiciously Specific Denial])

That said, despite being 5 rounds, there's not much to say about it actual combat-wise. If the Scholars stayed up, then Dokurider lost. If the Mediator got near the Scholars off the bat, then I lost. That's really it as far as "mechanics" go.

I got lazy about not changing my Archers despite realizing that Counter wouldn't really work with the Bow as "Knife Nuts" finally reminded me again, though ironically having Counter is actually what allowed me to win the fifth and final round. That and I got lazy about not changing Wish & Kiyomori despite them sucking. This especially since Dokurider's Squire on this team is the second most dangerous unit and I kept getting unlucky against him with regards to Armor Break despite a working Projectile Guard. I seriously still can't believe I got hit by that three times in a row and that, when I first recorded, I literally got Blinded every time he hit me (through unpatched, not working Projectile Guard).

Thankfully, his two other units were more concerned with using Chivalry on themselves than being actively threatening. That said, the Samurai hits fairly hard when actually does attack and the one time the Paladin hit me, he of course gets a critical that's enough to outright kill and end the round; that round was pretty much lost from the beginning anyway though.

Oh, I suppose that reminds me that I should clarify something I referenced in the commentary for Malroth's match. When I recorded this first time before Camtasia's...issues, the first three matches went the same more or less. The key exception is that the second time I won the first round a lot more handily between Weapon Break hitting. That and the Cover Fire actually killing the critical Mediator rather than allowing her to live by hitting for a mere 36 HP, allowing her to cook one of the Scholars before getting put down. I also lost the second and third rounds a lot more quickly the first time around, partly because of unpatched Projectile Guard and Move-HP Up not working.

This was similar to my own match vs. Dokurider in that, as soon as the hardest hitter on one side went down, the other side was doomed to lose; I suppose I should say that the other way round since my own match came after this one, but whatever.

By that token, even with Air Knife being broken, CT5Holy had more "hard-hitters" do his poking. And thus the rhyme was spoken.

More seriously, though, Spellguns hitting as hard as they can alongside the nuke in Wizard form and the Longbow Archer both also hitting hard made this an uphill struggle for Dokurider from the beginning. As hard as his Thief hits and as fast as he can be, said Thief still has to get in range against all of that. It didn't really help that Nameless Dance's randomness doesn't exactly get room to breathe against a team so much harder hitting overall, even if Ice Dancer has her own Spellgun. Also didn't help that Dokurider's "mages" did some especially stupid crap the first two rounds. I could only sigh as Mediator used Comet to wake up someone just put to Sleep in round 1. Then I barely resisted palming face when the Priest "Leeroy Jenkins"'d forward in Round 2 & got Don't Acted while charging Raise for troubles (read: idiocy), which caused literally everyone else on her team to get brutalized.

Hell, Dokurider arguably was only able to win Round 3 as it was because he both got that initial fatal Critical against the charging Archer and because Nameless Dance finally decided to be extremely generous in what it caused. This is rather telling given that Air Krieg, for its vulnerabilities, is still one of the stronger teams, at least in terms of sheer damage output.

So, yeah, Spellguns claimed more victims. No one's really surprised by that, so I'm going to try to avoid recording any more matches, or at least as many matches, with spellguns as I can while 138 is still around.

I'll do forum commentary for the other three matches after I'm sure more people have watched them, probably when I post another two or three tonight. This is admittedly partly because of laziness and partly because, even if I've decided only to record that Being Human marathon for now rather than watch it, I do have other things that need to be done.

Quote from: Malroth on January 07, 2013, 04:29:32 am
i officially am in music envy of the Dammed

I'm not sure why. I've tried to make sure that everything I use in the videos is credited at the bottom of every description, with most of it being easily and readily available from OCRemix. The only exception at present is "A Conclusion", which I really need to see if I can find the source of.

I should probably make sure the links work though. The links do work, right?

Unless you just mean I have good musical taste, in which case....

*dons K''s shades*

Guilty as charged.

The Damned

(Sigh. Just realized need to reformat the songs bit for first 10 videos. Hurray. I'll do when I get back.)

Similarly, I'll save the commentary on the last three matches for tomorrow or at least until I'm sure more people have seen them.

Regardless, here are three more videos:

FFT ARENA 138d - Barren (Hero Lancers) vs. Otabo (Geo Dudes and Dudettes) [8:59]

FFT ARENA 138d - Barren (Hero Lancers) vs. Otabo (Neo Geos) [22:11]

FFT ARENA 138d - TrueLight (Black Viper) vs. CT5Holy (Tag!) [14:25]

I may skip putting anything up tomorrow since all that's left are longer videos and I won't be around for at least three hours tomorrow on top of not getting anything that I needed to get done today. Apologies.

reinoe

Quote from: The Damned on January 08, 2013, 12:55:38 am

FFT ARENA 138d - Barren (Hero Lancers) vs. Otabo (Neo Geos) [22:11]

Sound cuts off at 18:20.  I did what you recommended earlier and provided my own music.  Interesting concept with the first two matches btw.
My dreams can come true!

TrueLight

Thanks for the videos, Damned.

That was rough. Paladin couldn't stand up to do damage, even though he accumulated quite a bit of PA. Squires couldn't dodge and once the Bard went down it was pretty much GG.

Time to watch the rest of the videos...
  • Modding version: PSX

The Damned

January 13, 2013, 01:30:59 am #1915 Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:49:26 am by The Damned
(Oh, hey, I'm behind on something. How surprising.)

Ugh. I might have to re-re-record my match versus AeroGP. Pain.

Anyway, speaking of pain, I recorded the last match of Wiz's I'm going to record (for now). I considered having him fight Raven's "Y CHIKEN SO DERICIOUS" just to "get everyone coal for Christmas", but I decided to run a test match after I patched it yesterday. As I note in the description of the second video I'm posting, that "match" was actually only one round...that took 90+ minutes.

Yeah...glad I didn't record that, because I'm sure as hell not going to.

Anyway, this is Wiz vs. DomieV in two Parts:

FFT ARENA 138d - Wiz (S1) vs. DomieV (Famous Knights) Part 1 [25:55]

FFT ARENA 138d - Wiz (S1) vs. DomieV (Famous Knights) Part 2 [45:09]

Enjoy your Quickening since almost everyone is so fucking ambivalent about it for some reason.

Quote from: reinoe on January 08, 2013, 05:44:01 am
Sound cuts off at 18:20.  I did what you recommended earlier and provided my own music.  Interesting concept with the first two matches btw.

Weird. I think it might have to do with Opera acting up because my stupidity while I was uploading it.

Regardless, it's uploaded and the audio seems fine now, though I only checked after the point that you specified, so knowing my "luck", it possibly fucks up earlier now:

FFT ARENA 138d - Barren (Hero Lancers) vs. Otabo (Neo Geos) [22:11] (Reuploaded)

Thanks for the heads up though.

The Damned

(Sigh. I'm so easily distracted.)

Thanks for the quick catch.

That link is fixed now.

reinoe

These comments are exlusive to match 2 only.  I lost my comments from the first video and I don't feel like reposting them since I post as I watch.

Loved how at 3:48 there was a sequence where Esuna removed poison (and blindness) from 4 people and then the thief removed poison from himself.  All that buildup was removed in 2 actions.

I was confused as heck when none of Wiz' mediators used Berzerk.  Sure two of the paladinss have Diamond Armour equipped but Page, the ItemKnight doesn't have EchoGrass.

The A.I. places no priority on Healing Blindness.  Interesting.  If I ever want to ensure my teams don't get blinded I'll have to prioritize them not getting it in the first place.

What the heck is going on at 18:02 when one of the paladins uses Southern Cross to heal the Thief and hurt his ally?  The hurt ally proceeded to use Balance to kill the thief in a one shot.  Is the A.I. glitchy or was that a brilliant tactic?

The paladins, Lancelot in particular, were really babying themselves with Nurse.  The were using it even when they had full hit points and could attack someone who was in range.

Also lol's at 44:00 when the critical paladin is trapped in a corner.  The Wiz' team can't move into range because the paladin is surrounded by the dead bodies of his teammates.  Then more lol's because the Thief moves into range to finally try and kill the critical paladin but instead uses quickening.  Wiz' team consist exlusively of trolls.
My dreams can come true!

The Damned

January 15, 2013, 05:20:28 pm #1919 Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:55:04 pm by The Damned
(So...I fixed some of the description errors, found out that I could put brackets in titles and tags [which means Wiz's team name is now truly correct], accidentally double-replied to Malroth [damn Youtube's lacking editing] and fixed Wiz vs. DomieV: Part 1's psychedelic-looking thumbnail.)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it was actually intentional by on AI's part, especially since that Southern Cross healed Wiz's Thief due to the Ice Brand. [/nag] Similarly, the AI seems to at least somewhat know that Balance is based off its own damage, even if that doesn't stop them from healing it up (mid-charge) and they don't/can't take Regen & Move-HP UP into account. They might take Poison into account, but it's difficult to tell, especially when we've all seen them choose to use Balance for 0 damage a couple of times even when seemingly completely undamaged.

Still, the only reason it turned out to be "brilliant" was because that particular Balance actually hit and killed. Otherwise it would have been dumb as hell, which more usually describes the AI is way too many cases unfortunately.

=======================

Anyway, I finally was able to edit the match between AeroGP and myself. It turns out I didn't need to record it again, though the second part has a lot of lag for some reason despite being on smaller maps and not having the "constant animation" issue that the aforementioned match inside of the windmill shed had.

Fucking Lionel and its curse:

FFT 138d ARENA - AeroGP (Inferno) vs. The Damned (Flurry of the Dancing Flames): Part 1 [22:22]

FFT 138d ARENA - AeroGP (Inferno) vs. The Damned (Flurry of the Dancing Flames): Part 2 [19:57]

I'll post a bunch of match reviews next time I post if I find that I still can't annotate anything (from my desktop) without slogging through e-molasses.

Also, sorry for being "lazy" about the music in the past few videos. I just haven't listened to the Dark Side of Phobos album in a while and the timing for most of the songs ended up working out well enough for two videos.

Balanced EDIT: Ugh. Fixed the typos present here and clarified a few things. I really need to proofread and do it much better.