• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:24:15 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

RavenOfRazgriz

The Damned as a point.  (World is beginning to end, oh no.)  If you're looking to challenge Malroth's point, you should be putting it against proven or otherwise long-standing teams like Y U SO DERP, Do Not Disturb, any S1 Arena teams that're updated and placed well, etc.  DomieV's team is tearing people up but there's a difference between tearing up other people's newer teams and tearing up long-standing ones.  Y U SO DERP became terrifying because it rolled teams like Do Not Disturb and others that were previously considered to be some of the best ever, after all.

It's definitely a solid team but it needs to be thrown to the wolves before I can give it half the rep Malroth wants to.

CT5Holy

For the record, I don't think Do Not Disturb is that good anymore, and I'm not sure how beneficial my most recent update for that team is. Currently (IMO) Ele Break is my best team.

But yeah, what Raven and Damned said with regards to Famous Knights.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Barren

Well Otabo requested me to run DomieV's team against his newest team "stolen property"

So while DomieV's team may have had some warm up matches, he really needs to be tested like you guys have been saying. So stay tuned for that
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Eternal

Can I please get some battles against my newest team "Guests", too?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Reks

Quote from: Eternal on November 30, 2012, 08:35:29 pm
Can I please get some battles against my newest team "Guests", too?

I volunteer Minds and Ogre Lands. Minds takes priority, since they still need some testing from the edits they got.
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Dokurider

I'd like to see Chrono storm against them, too.

Also, whenever you get around to filming fdc, I'd like go up against him.

Otabo

I may have some time tomorrow to record some matches, so might make some of those happen.

The Damned

(For the record, "them" is "Famous Knights" I'm guessing, Dokurider? Or...?)

Do you want to continue with the "Famous Knights" videos Barren and I'll just do Eternal vs. both of Reks's teams at least? Same question to you Otabo.

Provided the damn thing records for me of course....

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on November 30, 2012, 05:43:29 pmThe Damned [h]as a point.  (World is beginning to end, oh no.)

Well, we are heading into December, so I figured I'd start reminding everyone by being correct about something for once. Only about three more weeks until this piece of crap world (read: humanity) potentially comes to an end.

That probably won't happen though. Unfortunately. [/bitter!]
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

reinoe

November 30, 2012, 10:37:55 pm #1808 Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:07:12 pm by reinoe
Quote from: The Damned on November 30, 2012, 07:25:53 am
(People are getting interested in making all-four-same-class teams now just cause the usual all-Paladin and all-Lancer teams pop up again? *snorts haughtily*

Quick! Someone make an all-Mime team!)

More seriously, I can't recall if anyone's done an all-Samurai one yet, so you should be "good" reinoe. Off the top of my head, I think about a little more than a third of the classes have already had mono-class teams done with them, not counting possible gender differences: Squire (back when Ultima and their stats were OP), Paladin (probably the most common), Archer (at worst third most common), Geomancer (Otabo's at least), Mediator (recently), Lancer (the other candidate for most common), Dancer (when Wiznaibus was more [?] obnoxious or, at least, MP-less and quicker).

(Mind EDIT: And now that I didn't skip over Celdia and Reks's fight, I see that all-Bards have been done.)

I think the single class teams are just getting into vogue because of things beyond "Famous Knights".  For example, I made my all archers team simply because I made multiple teams and none of them had an archer.  When I first joined back in mid-august, elemental absorb teams were becoming popular.  Another new phenomenon is teleport geomancers.

But I have to admit if I see that something's already been done it will often kill my enthusiasm to do it, even if it's an original idea that I had separately.
My dreams can come true!

Reks

Quote from: reinoe on November 30, 2012, 10:37:55 pm
I think the single class teams are just getting into vogue because of timing and circumstances.  For example, I made my all archers team simply because I made multiple teams and none of them had an archer. When I first joined back in mid-august, elemental absorb teams were becoming popular.  Another upsurge in popularity is teleport geomancers.

But I have to admit if I see that something's already been done it will often kill my enthusiasm to do it, even if it's an original idea that I created seperately.

All of the single-job teams that are being brought around now is only coincidence: I'd had thoughts to bring most of my older teams back eventually. It happening now only reminded me to bring back Minds now because it's a single-job team as well.

And full of my trademark class, the Bard.
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

reinoe

November 30, 2012, 11:23:02 pm #1810 Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:38:56 pm by reinoe
Also let's not forget the nature of "rock, paper, scissors" when it comes to some of the matchups and the complete bs of random a.i. stupidity.  Mello Yello defeated, Elebreak which CT5HOLY stated may be his strongest team.  But Mello Yello lost to Magical Melodies.  Magical Melodies lost to Famous Knights.  I'm sure Famous Knights will lose to a high status team like Y U SO DERP or Wiz's "S1".

But it doesn't really matter too much because all teams will lose to Short Circuit :lol: /trolling.
My dreams can come true!

The Damned

(Yeah, things are cyclic. Not really surprising since that pretty much applies to everything in existence if changes at all or doesn't just get uniformly worse.)

That said, all-four-same-class teams are hardly new. I'm pretty sure one of the very first teams was CT5Holy's all-Archer Standstill team because Concentrate with Hunting Bow molested everyone when it had a 100% Don't Move proc. Likewise all-Paladins and all-Lancers have been around for a while, the former even when Chivalry was a terrible skill set aside from Grand Cross and maybe Nurse.

That's why I "snorted haughtily" that people seem to be getting excited again over an admittedly strong--but strongest?--all-Paladin team of all things and acting like it's such a novelty: it's probably the most done all-four-same-class team that has been in ARENA. And it's been shown that it can be quite effective despite the seeming lack of variety.

Similarly, just because someone else already has a similar team idea, don't feel dissuaded from making a team unless you would be copying it wholesale or making relatively few "changes" to what they already have. Seriously, if you don't make an all-Samurai team that you want to try just because other people are doing similar things, then I'll make one almost purely out of spite because I'm petty like that.

You've been warned.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Eternal

Now all we need is an All Squire team, amirite? *glances at CT5*
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

CT5Holy

Wait how'd you know I'm actually working on one right now wtf
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Ahong

@CT5Holy Well, He's a Mediator right?  :lol:

Eternal

I'd like to see a mini tournament, with everyone submitting mono-job teams.

reinoe

Quote from: Eternal on December 01, 2012, 12:29:40 am
I'd like to see a mini tournament, with everyone submitting mono-job teams.

I call dibs on the all Oracle Team.
My dreams can come true!

Otabo

December 01, 2012, 01:42:20 am #1817 Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:47:42 am by Otabo
I have an all priest team AND an all summoner team in the works. I'll show 'em. You'll see. :D

Quote from: reinoeI'm sure Famous Knights will lose to a high status team like Y U SO DERP or Wiz's "S1".

Property Loss has a good shot at bringing them down. I believe in them.

The Damned

December 01, 2012, 02:54:58 am #1818 Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:42:15 am by The Damned
(I should maybe stop using "molested" so despite it being an actually legitimate word for harassment and such unlike that...r word. [/sensitivity]

Maybe.)

I'd be down for a mini-tournament. I actually sort of thought that was the natural conclusion to this really. Hunh. That means we could even have a "proper" 5v5 if too if we wanted since sprite limitations would definitely not be reached.

Hmmm....

Quote from: reinoe on December 01, 2012, 01:39:06 am
I call dibs on the all Oracle Team.

Harlot! That one was my mine!

*begins making all-Samurai team out of spite even though he hates Masamune*

Malroth