• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:52:16 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

How to Patch an ISO With a PPF File

Started by Eternal, December 08, 2012, 01:55:48 pm

Eternal

December 08, 2012, 01:55:48 pm Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:57:13 am by Nyzer
Systems: PSX, PSP

This tutorial assumes that you'll be trying to patch an .iso/.bin/.img file with a .ppf file. If you aren't, please disregard this tutorial.

What you'll need:

1) A FFT .iso/.bin/.img (we cannot provide you with one- Google is your friend)
2) PPF-o-Matic, which can be found here.
3) A .ppf file.

I have all those things! What do I do now!?

First, make a copy of your clean FFT .iso/.bin/.img. ALWAYS KEEP A CLEAN BACKUP ISO! And NEVER patch an already patched ISO. Always patch clean.

Once you have two copies of your .iso/.bin/.img file, you'll need to open PPF-o-Matic. Once PPF-o-Matic is opened, you should see a screen similar to the one pictured below.

Now, click the little disk icon next to .iso/.bin/.img file. This will bring up a menu to select an .iso/.bin/.img. Select your clean .iso/.bin/.img.

Next, click the disk icon next to Patch, and select the .ppf file.

Once you've done both of those steps, hit Apply to patch the .iso/.bin/.img. Note that the patching process may take a while. If it still hasn't finished patching after five minutes or so, stop PPF-o-Matic and try repatching.

Hope this helps!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

yasko

ok im fairly new to this my self and i have a .bin file how would i patch that? is there a program for patching .bin files or what about... would i convert the .bin to iso then patch it... then convert the iso back to a .bin hmm would it still be patched ohhh im so confused--- help

3lric

.bin .img .iso are all the same thing

you can use this tutorial for any of them. Eternal should've mentioned that...
  • Modding version: PSX

Eternal

"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

savantopus

I have the .fftpatch and the clean ISO, how to change the fftpatch into a ppf?
Every word man speaks is a plagiarism.

Eternal

You patch the ISO with the .fftpatch using the FFT Patcher. From there, you create the .ppf using PPF Studio, which is covered in another tutorial.

savantopus

Ok thank you for the reply. I am now watching the video by Xiphanie (incorrect spelling probly) and following her instructions but when I attempt to change the bytecount using HxD hex editor it gives an error: Out of memory. Fix? Thanks
Every word man speaks is a plagiarism.

exix

I know this topic is old, but i am just now looking into trying out this game. just so I am sure i am doing the right thing. I take an existing fft .iso and patch in the journey of the 5 ppf. using ppf o matic. then i run the iso on my emulator?

3lric

Correct, just make sure the image is clean, no patches or expansions through Shishi and it should work fine

exix

Thank You. Now to get my iso file and give it a whirl. By the way the game looks great! cant wait to get into it

Kira Hokuten

Hi! I tried to patch my FFT .iso file took me about less than 10 secs, and I tried to play it on my android phone with PPSSPP but it says corrupted file, or I can only play it in PSX emu?

Angel

WotL = PSP (but we host like... one WotL patch here, so I'd assume that isn't what you're trying to accomplish)
FFT = PSX (nearly every single one of the patches we host here are for real FFT, not that WotL abomination)
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

3lric

Correct, if it's a PSX patch you need to play it on a PSX or PSX emulator.
You can't patch a PSX patch to a PSP ISO.

likewise

A PSP patch much be played on  PSP or PSP Emulator
You can't patch a PSP patch to a PSX ISO.

alphawolf

January 31, 2015, 05:31:49 am #13 Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 02:27:32 pm by Elric
I had to do 1 more step (PC Windows7)

1. Download ECM Converter
2. Take Original FFT .bin .ecm and convert to .iso
3. Then Patch with JOTF

Now it works ;)

3lric

This is only applicable if you have a ROM that is in ESM form, of which most people don't. Since that means it was downloaded somewhere rather than ripped yourself.

Angel

Correct. ECM is a form of compression used to archive disc images. Much like 7-zip, it isn't playable in most emulators.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

dragobobbio

I've downloaded the original FFT which runs perfectly with the ePSXe. Then I patch it in less than two minutes and there seems to be no problem. Once I run the patched version of Journey of the 5 my emulator window goes black, there aren't any error messages but the game simply doesn't run. What am I missing?

Jumza

Could be your version of ePSXe, which one are you using? (This forum usually recommends using a different psx emulator, so you could try that as well)
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

Make sure its not in ECM format. If its not, then there is a issue with the image file and you'll need to get another one.

Try the emulator pSX aka PSXFin. See if that helps.

Xujints

So, today I downloaded the Rar file and extracted it to get the ppf file and attempted to patch my .bin with it and play the game, but whenever I try to load it using PSX, it says that it cannot read the CD-rom. Can anyone please explain what the problem is?