• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 17, 2024, 10:23:33 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

There has to be a better skillset for the Archer than Charge

Started by Dokurider, April 30, 2009, 01:19:43 pm

Dokurider

What I was thinking the other day was something along the lines of this:

QuotePotshot (tentative name)  :
Deals 7/8 Weapon damage. Unevadable.

The reasoning behind this attack is to encourage different builds of Archers rather then it's current state of "Concentrate or GTFO". I wanted it to be so that an Archer can still be effective without Concentrate.

I get 7/8 from wanting "Potshot" to be weaker than your regular attack, yet if you had Attack Up equipped on, "Potshot" will be stronger than your regular attack if you didn't equip Attack Up.

QuotePoison Shot:
Deals Weapon damage with 25% chance of adding Poison.

This attack would be the attack you'd spam the most.

QuoteBlinding Shot:
Deals Weapon damage with 25% chance of adding Blind.

You would also spam this attack a lot if your front-line units have high evasion. Maybe not.

QuoteSilencing Shot:
Deals Weapon damage with 25% chance of adding Silence.

Great vs. Mages.

QuoteSlowing Shot:
Deals Weapon damage with 25% chance of adding Slow.

Great way to impede advancement of enemy units.

QuoteSlick Shot:
Deals Weapon damage with 25% chance of adding Oil.

I'd be okay if this had to go. It's designed to soften up targets for Wizard and any other types packing fire.

QuoteFlaming Shot:
Deals Fire Elemental Weapon damage.

Self-Explanatory.

QuoteKilling Shot:
Deals Half of Weapon damage with 25% chance of adding Dead.

Should be used as a last-ditch effort.

I don't think that Charge is an effective skillset for the Archer at all. At best, it's somewhat effective, acting as a small damage supplement, but is usually worthless. I think this skillset is much more effective for Archers, and might be effective for others as well.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

philsov

April 30, 2009, 01:32:41 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
If we could somehow cause both Charge +X and some other skills to work within the same skillset, I think it'd be a lot better off.  The same can be said for Jump as well -- both of those skillsets could use some supplimentary skills like above to help round them out.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Dokurider

April 30, 2009, 02:04:01 pm #2 Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 03:21:53 pm by Dokurider
Quote from: "philsov"If we could somehow cause both Charge +X and some other skills to work within the same skillset, I think it'd be a lot better off.  The same can be said for Jump as well -- both of those skillsets could use some supplimentary skills like above to help round them out.

Charging Jump?

In fact, that's a great idea.

Think about it. Jump, Jump+1, Jump+2, Jump+3, Jump+4, Jump+5, Jump+7,  Jump+10, Jump+20. Each +1 takes off 1 speed for the Jump Calculation to compensate.

SentinalBlade

April 30, 2009, 02:52:16 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Thatsa fucking great idea doku!

i wonder how hard itd be to fine the block of code charge/jump is in... this would take alot more space than what im alloted in battle.bin

*speculates in a dark corner*

Dokurider

April 30, 2009, 03:25:26 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
Honestly, I don't think it would be that hard. I'd imagine the most complicated part would be the -1 speed aspect. Otherwise, it's just an issue of adding Jump to Charge+X. (Jump is considered a status, right?)

Then again, I only play a coder on TV.

akwikone

April 30, 2009, 03:47:09 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by akwikone
while on the subject of jump, I can't find its animation on the patcher

anyone know why?

philsov

April 30, 2009, 03:47:48 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
erm, I was more talking about allowing the Charge skillset to have both Charge +5 and Poison arrow and not somehow glitch.  Can Charge +X work outside of a skillset marked Charge?  Can an ability in a skillset flagged for Charge still work?

You -could- mark up some abilities to act just like charge -- that is, swordskill formula, weapon range for effect area, and +PA and CTR variables to set as needed -- but that involves ability consolidation.  I'm talking about the real Charge skills here >_>.

Jump is a little more tricky, I haven't toyed much with the jump status.  Still, additional abilities would be a welcome addition to both skillsets.

Zozma

April 30, 2009, 03:58:26 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
Quote from: "akwikone"while on the subject of jump, I can't find its animation on the patcher

anyone know why?

it doesn't have one in the patcher

its a skill use animation, like how when you cast magic they collect energy or when you summon you see those orbs, or when u use a sword skill they swing a sword

http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=20
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

akwikone

April 30, 2009, 04:03:36 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by akwikone
oh, ok, thanks Zozma

Zozma

April 30, 2009, 04:18:20 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
also, those abilites sound great but how... i mean without sacrificing other skills

Volrath_Rahl

April 30, 2009, 07:03:29 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Volrath_Rahl
Is there the same issue with throw?  

Can we add different skills with it that work?

I would love to see better ninja skills, leave shuriken and ball but drop the rest for some real ninja action.

Dokurider

April 30, 2009, 07:05:06 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
I think throw is okay, actually.

Zozma

April 30, 2009, 07:13:35 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
no i dont think you can, like any comand using items i think they are sensitive to that sort of thing arent they?

LastingDawn

May 01, 2009, 06:51:25 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Yes they are... oh gods... yes they are... Ninja, Dragoon, Geomancer, Chemist, Samurai! Bah! All so case sensitive it is mind boggling!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Vanya

May 01, 2009, 01:21:59 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I'm dumping all those skill sets in my hack in favor of more 'interesting' ones.

Ninja is getting a Ninjutsu set with the old ninja spells and hopefully I'll be able to make a skill similar to throw. I imaging it'll require some ASM to get working correctly. especially if I want it to consume shuriken etc.

Dragoon is getting a set with dragon breaths and a better set of jump skills. especially since we can already make functional jump skills with varying ct's.

I have no problem with Geomancy as is.

Chemist is a bit of a problem. I have to test out that 'all units have item command' hack. I'm hoping that it grants all skills by default to all units so that I can give chemists a completely different skillset. But it'll probably be another hassle.

Samurai aren't as much of a problem now that we can turn the % chance of breaking katanas down to 0. They'll probably get a new skillset anyway though.

Since my hack won't feature any generic units at all I'll be able to avoid those little problems from using them with alternate skillsets.
¯\(°_0)/¯

LastingDawn

May 01, 2009, 01:46:11 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
That was actually a mistake on my part, Vanya... it was a guess I made a long time ago that just happened to be an eerie coincidence, I assure you, unique character or not, if you deviate from the initial skillset of those five jobs there will be repercussions down the line.

Art of War

SilvasRuin

May 01, 2009, 01:53:11 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Out of curiosity, what would be the repercussions of changing Lancer and Ninja skillsets?  Less abilities available for the patch, or something worse?

LastingDawn

May 01, 2009, 02:08:04 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Broken skillsets, they plain will not work, very well at all.

Art of War

philsov

May 01, 2009, 02:18:28 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
but can't you bypass that, through either flagging them normal and putting in "standard" abilities or simply dumping some standard abilities into an otherwise blank skillset and assigning it to that class?

LastingDawn

May 01, 2009, 03:16:32 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
That you cannot, the game is very finnicky with what skills are assigned to what skillset, in example... the game only stores the JP and JP gained of your Main skillset and the generic skillsets. This makes getting by much more difficult. If you equip a self made skillset in place of a job, the result will be Chance To Learn%, when used in battle, regardless of what skills you've already "learned". Now if you change abilities for some classes (such as Samurai) you get a few interesting results... but all in all, unusable, for instance, the items it reads seems to be set in a strange way, Putting Cure and Cure 2 will opt the game to want to use a Defense Ring and Magic Ring (if Memory serves right) though by doing this nothing happens, if it could, it would make some people's work a bit easier. Changing them to "normal skillsets" doesn't seem to do a thing.

Art of War