• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:05:22 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Formula Editing Tool

Started by Kilor Di, October 25, 2016, 06:54:00 pm

Kilor Di

Does anyone know of a good tool for editing formulas?  I have an idea for a "Gau" type class, but I think I would need to edit the formula for the Moldball Virus spell in order to make it work.
  • Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

All formulas are hardcoded... the only way you'll edit any of them is by learning MIPS r3000 assembly.

This is our documentation on the moldball virus code: http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/58_Generic:_Set_Morbol:_Hit(MA%2BX)%25

Also, there's a huge flaw in your idea: Malboros can transform other units into Malboros because the spritesheet is already loaded into the VRAM for it. If you change a unit into a Malboro through other means while there is no Malboro type monster in the battle, the target unit will become a Malboro, but the sprite will be completely glitched all to hell since it hadn't been loaded. If you feel like trying to figure out how to dynamically load a spritesheet in battle from the use of an ability, be my guest; I would have no idea where to start.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Kilor Di

I was actually hoping to find a way to get the game to keep the character's current spritesheet instead of trying to swap it out.  Basically, I want to be able to have characters with this class get a monster's skill list and become uncontrollable without transforming.

I might go ahead and try learning MIPS r3000 assembly.  It would be nice to have another programming language under my belt.