• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 01:29:47 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

☢ ☢ ☢ FFT Arena AI Tournament Season 3 ☢ ☢ ☢

Started by CT5Holy, July 28, 2014, 04:08:02 pm

Barren

September 06, 2014, 02:03:27 pm #200 Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:34:43 am by Barren
FFT Arena AI Tournament Season 3 Loser's Bracket Match 21 - Zotis vs Angelus

I'll upload Loser's match 22 later on tonight, having some problems with my internet
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

reinoe

Quote from: CT5Holy on September 05, 2014, 04:10:59 pm
FFT Arena AI Tournament Season 3 Losers' Bracket Match 17 - Angelus vs Shadowstrike

FFT Arena AI Tournament Season 3 Losers' Bracket Match 18 - DomieV vs TrueLight

This was such a good match.  I kinda feel bad for shadowstrike.  He always seems to make these formidable teams that never really go far.

Well we get one every season.  An incredible match that just blows you away.

The tradition of Loser's bracket being way more exciting than winner's bracket continues.
My dreams can come true!

Barren

DomieV

Damn man that as a long match. I just happened to get fortunate that truelight got caught in a corner with my AoE southern cross and that chemist is a trooper. seriously it took all of truelight's units to take him out in round 2. GG TrueLight, that's definitely a upset victory for me

Round 1 was intense as hell with the back and forth sandbag. And my chemist again, the trooper! And my archer held up as well. That 385 crit was beautiful! GG Mallen, now I face the guy that put me on the doom train in the first place

Leif1991

Is DomieV vs Zotis up next? That should be good to watch. Reinoe is right about the Loser's bracket being more exciting than the Winner's bracket.
Season 3 A.I. Tournament Champion

CT5Holy

Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Leif1991

I feel terrible. I got so lucky with Round 1. Earlier in the season, I ran a few practice matches with Barren's team and it did curb-stomp mine during some of the matches; his damage output is much higher than mine. GG Barren, you would have won if I didn't get lucky with Charm and Don't Act procs.

Barren

September 09, 2014, 06:12:43 am #207 Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:46:16 am by Barren
that dont act and charm really set the tone for my loss in round 1 and i just got squashed due to rng wanting revenge on me. Round 2 pretty much the same. GG Leif. Good luck in the next match. Now its my turn to visit the doom train

Let's add another visitor to the doom train!

FT ArenaAI Tournament Season 3 Match 30 - CT5Holy vs Dokruider

Leif1991

Quote from: Barren on September 09, 2014, 06:12:43 am
that dont act and charm really set the tone for my loss in round 1 and i just got squashed due to rng wanting revenge on me. Round 2 pretty much the same. GG Leif. Good luck in the next match. Now its my turn to visit the doom train

Let's add another visitor to the doom train!

FT ArenaAI Tournament Season 3 Match 30 - CT5Holy vs Dokruider
Shortest match ever. Dokurider steamrolled right through CT5's team. O_O

Dokurider

Oh this video is 5 minutes long. Looks like I finally get the stomping I deserv-WHAT THE FUCK? How the hell did that just happen? My team's name is turning out to be far more prophetic then I ever thought it would be.

Barren

Looks like I lost...again. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted. GG reinoe

CT5Holy

I knew I lost when I saw the match was so short. That Summoner was going to be a huge problem. The other problem was your Thief 1-shotting my ninja on turn 1. Didn't see that coming, but yeah it was alllll bad for me haha. Good stuff Doku.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

reinoe

Quote from: TrueLight on September 09, 2014, 09:33:29 pm
FFT Arena AI Tournament Season 3 Losers Match 28 - Barren vs reinoe

At 9:32 when the geomancer got revived.  I thought it was curtains fo me.  I thought the geomancer was going to use kotetsu to kill 2-3 of my units and heal Barrens Ninja, but she didn't do it.  Instead she used masamune.  Wow.  There were several points where I thought it was going to be curtains for me, but nope.  Never happened.

GG Barren.
My dreams can come true!

Barren

I felt that i did slightly better than season 2 but i was no where as dominant as I was in season 1. I felt that there was something i could have done better with my team by like adding reflect or projectile guard. Also the rng completely shat on me during my last 2 matches and while having masamune in general is great unfortunately what reinoe pointed out costed me my match since my geo didnt attack with koutetsu. I know it sounds like im complaining somewhat but i couldnt help but to be a bit let down for me that i didnt win. But hey cant win all the time. Maybe I'll try again next season pending on if i can think of one.

Good luck to the remaining players in the tourney

The Damned

(So I'm apparently ten matches behind not counting the four I had rewatch to jog my memory of what happened during them. Hunh.)

As it was, I got through only two of the still-new-to-me matches before I got distracted by BotanicSage, of all people, and by learning that apparently Mr. Herriman's voice actor is the person who is Magneto's MvC3 voice actor. I just had to see that in related videos for some reason--Youtube is so weird like that. My accursed attention span grows ever shorter, it would seem.

Oh well. I guess it's for the best given I did promise I'd get to those now two-page-old quotes in the next post I did. Getting through about half of the video backlog seems a fine set-up for next time, especially given how long it seems one of DomieV's matches turned out to be:

(reinoe)
Team: 10 Gauge
Palettes: Yellow/White

================================

Unit 1
Male
Scorpio
Thief
Item
Counter
Two Hands
Fly
Platinum Sword

Twist Headband
Rubber Costume
Angel Ring

Quickening, Steal Heart, Steal Accessry
X-Potion, Hi-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Unit 2
Male
Scorpio
Ninja
Basic Skill
Abandon
Attack UP
Move-HP Up
Hidden Knife
Ninja Knife
Green Beret
Power Sleeve
Feather Mantle

Kagesougi
Accumulate, Throw Stone, Heal, Wish

Unit 3
Male
Capricorn
Archer
Punch Art
Projectile Guard
Magic Attack UP
Pilgrimage
Blast Gun
Kaiser Plate
Thief Hat
Black Costume
Setiemson

Arm Aim, Seal Evil, Hawk's Eye, Execute, Armor Break, Weapon Break
Stigma Magic, Revive

Unit 4
Female
Taurus
Time Mage
White Magic
Damage Split
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Mace of Zeus

Golden Hairpin
White Robe
Sprint Shoes

Haste 2, Slow 2, Comet, Sinkhole, Demi 2
Cure 3, Cure 4, Raise, Raise 2, Wall, Esuna, Holy

vs.

(Fenire)
Team: A Knight at the Movies
Palettes: Black/White

The Untouchable
Male
Sagittarius
Squire
Item
Abandon
Throw Item
Warpath
Shieldrender
Escutcheon II
Twist Headband
Power Sleeve
Wizard Mantle

Accumulate, Throw Stone, Wish
X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage

Sniper
Male
Sagittarius
Archer
Draw Out
Projectile Guard
Attack UP
Move-HP Up
Mythril Bow

Thief Hat
Secret Clothes
Cursed Ring

Seal Evil, Hawk's Eye
Kiyomori, Masamune

First Knight
Female
Gemini
Paladin
White Magic
Counter
Magic Defend UP
Move-MP Up
Battle Axe
Diamond Shield
Platina Helmet
Robe of Lords
Setiemson

Nurse, Transfusion, Reraise
Cure 4, Raise 2, Esuna

Druids
Female
Gemini
Summoner
Time Magic
MP Restore
Magic Attack UP
Pilgrimage
Wizard Rod

Golden Hairpin
White Robe
Magic Ring

Moogle, Fairy, Carbunkle, Cyclops, Zodiac
Haste 2, Slow 2, Comet, Sinkhole

I'm admittedly surprised that the battle at Dougola Pass didn't go Fenire's way even with the obvious speed advantage reinoe had due merely to Fenire having a Summoner. Then again, given how annoyingly overpowered Hidden Knife and Spellguns currently are, the Summoner being forced into healing earlier is likely what saved reinoe there given how much damage that single Cyclops did. She generally got stuck healing when she wasn't dying.

As it is, reinoe largely won this due to having a speed advantage and three out of four units on his team not giving a damn about The Untouchable the Squire's significant evasion. That one of those units--the Ninja--could OHKO Fenire's Undead Archer as well and that neither Fenire's Paladin nor Archer could really do much of anything only doomed Fenire more. Maybe if Fenire's Archer had dodged that Raise 2 early on in round two he could have won that round and maybe the match as a whole. After all, said Archer is the most dangerous unit on Fenire's team after the Summoner, who was too slow here. Then again, Hawk's Eye was also shown to be a bit too slow though, so who knows.

(Otabo)
Team: Season 3
Palettes: Brown/Black

Teabag
Female
Scorpio
Thief
Draw Out
Projectile Guard
Equip Armor
Move-HP Up
Sasuke Knife

Flash Hat
Gold Armor
Cursed Ring

Kiyomori, Masamune

Mallory
Female
Scorpio
Monk
Talk Skill
HP Restore
Equip Shield
Move+1
H Bag
Genji Shield
Chakra Band
Santa Outfit
Diamond Armlet

Secret Fist, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive
Insult

Mackenzie
Female
Pisces
Mediator
Item
Auto Potion
Magic Defend UP
Flee
Main Gauche

Thief Hat
White Robe
Setiemson

Blackmail, Death Sentence, Mimic Daravon
Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Echo Grass, Chrono's Tear, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Perria
Female
Pisces
Priest
Time Magic
Counter Magic
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Wizard Staff

Golden Hairpin
Silk Robe
Defense Ring

Cure 2, Raise, Raise 2, Esuna
Haste 2, Slow 2, Don't Move, Sinkhole, Balance

vs.

(Reks)
Palettes: Black/White

Luke
Male
Taurus
Squire
Steal
Abandon
Defense UP
Move-HP Up
Hunting Bow
Escutcheon II
Green Beret
Santa Outfit
Feather Mantle

Throw Stone, Heal, Wish
Bad Luck, Quickening, Steal Heart, Steal Accessry

Cynthia
Female
Capricorn
Samurai
Lore
MP Restore
Magic Attack UP
Pilgrimage
Chirijiraden

Cross Helmet
Linen Robe
Magic Ring

Bizen Boat, Murasame, Masamune, Chirijiraden
Tornado, Quake

Azra
Female
Virgo
Dancer
Jump
PA Save
Equip Polearm
Warpath
Dragon Whisker

Twist Headband
Black Costume
Cursed Ring

Level Jump6, Vertical Jump8

Reksalya
Female
Virgo
Priest
Time Magic
Counter Flood
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Wizard Staff

Thief Hat
White Robe
Setiemson

Cure 4, Raise, Regen, Protect 2, Shell 2, Esuna
Haste 2, Slow 2, Don't Move, Comet, Sinkhole

I have to wonder how the first round would have worked out for Reks if the Samurai hadn't stepped out of the way of Esuna and then gotten Insulted. Similarly, I have to wonder if the Priest used Esuna on the Berserked Samurai & the Don't Act Dancer instead of going for fucking Regen--what in Athena's name was she thinking? Finally, I have to wonder if Reks could have won the first round had the Otabo's Monk's Revive missed on his Thief after the two Raise 2s amusingly missed her. Who knows.

As it was, Reks just got kind painfully picked part by a bunch of negative status effects, especially given both of his most damaging units didn't really get to do what they were best at, especially in the first round. Luke wasn't exactly helpful the entire match despite Steal Heart, especially given he ran away like an idiot while Death Sentence'd in the second round. Isolating himself right before he was about to die sure was a genius move. Yep....

A lot of Don't Move got thrown around in the first round and Cursed Ring, of course, and Sleep generally dragged things out much longer than they needed to be. Otherwise, there's not much else to say about this beyond Reks getting further than he thought he would and my being sorry to see him go even if it's not like he lost to a crappy team.

I suppose I am/was a bit suprised that all that Charm didn't really amount to much of anything for either of them, but meh--Charm is always pretty hit or miss in the devastation it does or doesn't get to reap unlike, say, Slow. That 98% Steal Accessory missing for Reks in the second round was a bit thematically appropriate too I suppose.

(spacethypoon)
Team: Black Sheep
Palettes: Black/Green

Hattori
Male
Serpentarius
Ninja
Item
Abandon
Throw Item
Fly
Hidden Knife
Ninja Knife
Thief Hat
Secret Clothes
Feather Mantle

Meiton, Fuuton, Suiton, Kagesougi
X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Krypt
Male
Sagittarius
Paladin
Draw Out
Counter
Defense UP
Move-HP Up
Ice Brand
Escutcheon II
Crystal Helmet
Reflect Mail
Cherche

Nurse, Reraise, Southern Cross
Koutetsu, Bizen Boat, Murasame, Masamune

Cherice
Female
Pisces
Priest
Time Magic
Dragon Spirit
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Wizard Staff

Golden Hairpin
Wizard Robe
Chantage

Cure 4, Raise 2, Wall, Esuna, Dia
Haste 2

Kikyo
Female
Aries
Archer
Steal
Auto Potion
Concentrate
Warpath
Windslash Bow

Green Beret
Power Sleeve
108 Gems

Leg Aim, Arm Aim
Quickening

vs.

(Angelus)
Palettes: Green/White

Shinobi
Male
Pisces
Ninja
Punch Art
Damage Split
Overwhelm
Move-MP Up
Hidden Knife
Ninja Knife
Golden Hairpin
Power Sleeve
Cursed Ring

Meiton
Secret Fist, Stigma Magic, Revive

Shogun
Female
Virgo
Samurai
Steal
MA Save
Magic Attack UP
Move+1
Kiyomori

Circlet
Diamond Armor
108 Gems

Asura, Koutetsu, Bizen Boat, Murasame, Heaven's Cloud, Muramasa, Kikuichimonji

Potz
Male
Pisces
Chemist
Snipe
Auto Potion
Defense UP
Move-HP Up
Romanda Gun

Thief Hat
Black Costume
Cherche

Hi-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down
Leg Aim, Arm Aim, Head Break, Armor Break, Shield Break, Weapon Break

Evenflow
Female
Virgo
Time Mage
Summon Magic
Absorb MP
Short Charge
Pilgrimage
H Bag

Black Hood
Robe of Lords
N-Kai Armlet

Haste 2, Slow 2, Stop, Sinkhole
Moogle, Fairy, Carbunkle, Lich

I must admit that I'm rather surprised at how close spacethypoon came to winning the first round before the Chemist's timely Arm Aim ended up screwing him over. If I had expected anyone on Angelus's team to run roughshod over spacethypoon, it was Angelus's Samurai between just Asura and Koutetsu. Between Angelus's Chemist being a wall to spacethypoon team & stopping spacethypoon from taking round one, however, and Angelus's Time Mage being a damage dealer and disrupter, his Samurai got severely outpaced as MVP.

The second round worked out a lot less well for spacethypoon than I expected it would between his having a Ninja and Kikyo the Archer getting to maintain higher ground for all of a round again. Not much else to say about the second round really except that I think it was the first instance of Krypt the Paladin getting Charmed that ultimately did spacethypoon in here. I say that due to the sheer amount of damage that he did to Kikyo with Southern Cross despite her both not dying and Auto-Potioning. Not that it wouldn't have mattered had Angelus not had a gun to advantage, but he did, so....

As a whole, Krypt the Paladin generally was the weakest link on spacethypoon's team between the Draw Out mistake and Reflect Mail not really helping his team. Hell, like with my team, Reflect Mail actively worked against him.

Still, it was nice to see someone's team actually use Wall and it's indeed rather rare to see Sinkhole KO someone.

(Celdia)
Team: Bad Romance Novel
Palettes: Blue/White

Bait
Male
Serpentarius
Thief
Sing
Speed Save
Equip Shield
Teleport
Phoenix Blade
Zephyr Shield
Green Beret
Secret Clothes
Battle Boots

Heretic, Bad Luck, Spellbreaker, Steal Heart
Last Song

Comic Relief
Male
Serpentarius
Monk
Draw Out
PA Save
Attack UP
Warpath

Choice Band
Power Sleeve
Cursed Ring

Earth Slash, Secret Fist, Chakra, Revive
Kiyomori, Masamune

Mary Sue
Female
Serpentarius
Oracle
White Magic
MA Save
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Faith Rod

Golden Hairpin
Silk Robe
Defense Ring

Zombie, Blind Rage, Beguile, Paralyze, Sleep, Petrify
Raise 2, Dia, Holy

Sidekick
Male
Serpentarius
Chemist
Ninjitsu
HP Restore
Unyielding
Move-HP Up
Air Knife

Thief Hat
Black Costume
Angel Ring

Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Maiden's Kiss, Bandage, Phoenix Down
Suiton, Kagesougi

vs.

(Shadowstrike)
Palettes: Black/Red

G
Male
Leo
Monk
Snipe
Damage Split
Martial Arts
Move+1
FS Bag

Chakra Band
Power Sleeve
108 Gems

Spin Fist, Repeating Fist, Wave Fist, Earth Slash, Secret Fist, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive
Arm Aim, Head Break, Armor Break, Shield Break, Weapon Break

Comere
Female
Gemini
Dancer
Chivalry
HP Restore
Concentrate
Float
Tactician's Blade

Twist Headband
Brigandine
Bracer

Iron Will, Reraise, Southern Cross

Go Hard!
Male
Libra
Thief
Item
Dragon Spirit
Two Swords
Move-HP Up
Hidden Knife
Ancient Sword
Flash Hat
Earth Clothes
Cherche

X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

T
Female
Aquarius
Priest
Time Magic
Counter Flood
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Wizard Staff

Golden Hairpin
Robe of Lords
Diamond Armlet

Cure 3, Raise 2, Esuna, Holy
Haste 2, Slow 2, Comet, Sinkhole

For a "joke" team or at least a team that she didn't expect to do well, Celdia actually got decently far and did decently well. It's just that Shadowstrike's team did too much damage for her to handle, especially G the Monk who also has far too much range. Her Chemist having Ninjutsu, Shadowstrike's Dancer & Monk getting back up quickly when they went done and Faith Rod's Faith working against her Oracle is what specifically lost her the match. That first round was lost almost solely to G's Earth Slashes though.

It's kind of amusing to see that she essentially won the second round primarily because her Monk who otherwise kept missing the Dancer hit said Dancer with Kiyomori early on. That Reraise loop was rather annoying though, which is exactly part of reason why Reraise the ability shouldn't be 0 CT. Celdia's Monk got relatively unlucky otherwise, at rather crucial times too. Still, she did at least take round two.

I have to wonder if she would have won round three and thus the match had Secret Fist not missed the Priest, even with Shadowstrike's Dancer having Reraise.

Not much else to say about this outside of being a bit weird see the only Phoenix Blade go. I honestly expected a lot more people to use it, not that I'm aggrieved to see that not be the case. I'm similarly not sad to see it go, but it was nice to see someone at least try to use Last Song.

Regardless, between Reks and Celdia doing better than me while claiming to have worse teams they supposedly just kinda of threw together, the message is clear: Aim for the lowest goal possible rather than have any expectations of hope or focus in mind. Truly a truthful and life-affirming insight (that I already knew).

(Vireblaze)
Team: Nottinghamsire
Palettes: Black/Blue

The Prince
Male
Capricorn
Bard
Talk Skill
MA Save
Unyielding
Move-HP Up
Fairy Harp

Green Beret
Brigandine
N-Kai Armlet

Battle Song
Blackmail, Insult, Mimic Daravon

The Sheriff
Male
Taurus
Squire
Steal
Projectile Guard
Attack UP
Move-MP Up
Ancient Sword
Platina Shield
Thief Hat
Earth Clothes
Battle Boots

Heal, Wish

The Knight
Male
Virgo
Paladin
Punch Art
HP Restore
Martial Arts
Warpath

Genji Shield
Crystal Helmet
Diamond Armor
108 Gems

Reraise
Spin Fist, Repeating Fist, Wave Fist, Earth Slash, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive

The Bishop
Male
Taurus
Priest
Summon Magic
Absorb MP
Short Charge
Float
Wizard Staff

Golden Hairpin
Light Robe
Magic Ring

Raise 2, Esuna, Holy
Moogle, Carbunkle, Odin

vs.

(DomieV)
Palettes: Yellow/Brown

Paige
Male
Sagittarius
Chemist
Draw Out
Auto Potion
Defense UP
Move-HP Up
Main Gauche

Thief Hat
Black Costume
Setiemson

Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down
Kiyomori, Masamune

Arthur
Male
Sagittarius
Paladin
Talk Skill
HP Restore
Attack UP
Warpath
Tactician's Blade
Zephyr Shield
Barbuta
Chameleon Robe
Cherche

Southern Cross
Blackmail, Refute, Insult, Mimic Daravon

Alicia
Female
Gemini
Archer
Steal
Projectile Guard
Concentrate
Move+1
Silver Bow

Golden Hairpin
Power Sleeve
Feather Mantle

Arm Aim, Seal Evil, Head Break, Armor Break, Weapon Break

Serena
Female
Gemini
Time Mage
White Magic
Damage Split
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Rainbow Staff

Black Hood
Robe of Lords
Cursed Ring

Haste 2, Slow 2, Sinkhole, Balance
Raise 2, Esuna

Haha at the first things that happened being everyone but the Paladin on VireBlaze's team getting Slowed by a single Slow 2 and then DomieV's Time mage getting her Cursed Ring stolen and almost killed by Holy because of it. I have to wonder if Vireblaze could have won round one had the Time Mage gotten hit with Charm or Sleep given how unlucky he got outside of hitting Mimic Daravon on two units simultaneously twice. I mean, The Sheriff the Squire couldn't really dodge anything save for that single Slow 2 for all the evasion he had. Shades of reinoe's fight with Fenire, only without guaranteed hits.

Speaking of luck, DomieV's Archer generally got rather fortunate with dodging things & generally didn't care about being Charmed since she kept Quickening (ugh) herself. Mimic Daravon also worked out really well in round two for Arthur given how long he got stuck fighting half of Vireblaze's team in the form of The Bishop the Priest and The Knight the Paladin; he almost outright killed them both with the resultant Southern Cross due to Sleep's damage bonus.

Even Vireblaze getting rather lucky with Charm status and The Knight's HP Restore going off didn't really do anything for him, especially since his Bard both got relatively unlucky and decided to be a dumb-ass. I swear, it's like half of the time the A.I. deigns to use Insult, the go after the worst possible unit to Berserk.

Anyway, it's a bit telling how one-sided the second round actually was that causal Balances from the no-longer-Undead Time Mage actually proved a deciding factor. Funny how she would have just died from The Bishop's Holy would have killed her if The Prince the Bard had just hit her with Fairy Harp instead of trying to oddly kill the Critical, just-Charmed Archer. Sigh. Why are you so dumb at times even on things you aren't blind too, A.I.?

Finally, ending on oddities, I still don't understand why the A.I. insists on using equipment Breaks on units without that particular piece of equipment as just another way to regularly attack instead of just attacking normally. DomieV's Archer kept using Weapon Break on The Knight despite the fact that he's a Martial Arts Paladin with only his fists as weapon. Is the A.I. just trying to spice up its artificial life by using something that's essentially the same thing, sort of like (trophy) wife-swapping between suburban W.A.S.P.s?

(reinoe)
Team: 10 Gauge
Palettes: Yellow/White

Unit 1
Male
Scorpio
Thief
Item
Counter
Two Hands
Fly
Platinum Sword

Twist Headband
Rubber Costume
Angel Ring

X-Potion, Hi-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Unit 2
Male
Scorpio
Ninja
Basic Skill
Abandon
Attack UP
Move-HP Up
Hidden Knife
Ninja Knife
Green Beret
Power Sleeve
Feather Mantle

Kagesougi
Accumulate, Throw Stone, Heal, Wish

Unit 3
Male
Capricorn
Archer
Punch Art
Projectile Guard
Magic Attack UP
Pilgrimage
Blast Gun
Kaiser Plate
Thief Hat
Black Costume
Setiemson

Arm Aim, Seal Evil, Hawk's Eye, Execute, Armor Break, Weapon Break
Stigma Magic, Revive

Unit 4
Female
Taurus
Time Mage
White Magic
Damage Split
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Mace of Zeus

Golden Hairpin
White Robe
Sprint Shoes

Haste 2, Slow 2, Comet, Sinkhole, Demi 2
Cure 3, Cure 4, Raise, Raise 2, Wall, Esuna, Holy

vs.

(Otabo)
Palettes: Brown/Black

Teabag
Female
Scorpio
Thief
Draw Out
Projectile Guard
Equip Armor
Move-HP Up
Sasuke Knife

Flash Hat
Gold Armor
Cursed Ring

Kiyomori, Masamune

Mallory
Female
Scorpio
Monk
Talk Skill
HP Restore
Equip Shield
Move+1
H Bag
Genji Shield
Chakra Band
Santa Outfit
Diamond Armlet

Secret Fist, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive
Insult

Mackenzie
Female
Pisces
Mediator
Item
Auto Potion
Magic Defend UP
Flee
Main Gauche

Thief Hat
White Robe
Setiemson

Blackmail, Death Sentence, Mimic Daravon
Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Echo Grass, Chrono's Tear, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Perria
Female
Pisces
Priest
Time Magic
Counter Magic
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Wizard Staff

Golden Hairpin
Silk Robe
Defense Ring

Cure 2, Raise, Raise 2, Esuna
Haste 2, Slow 2, Don't Move, Sinkhole, Balance

Given how horribly the first round started off for Otabo, I thought it would be over much quicker. Then Raise 2 and Stigma Magic happened to get rid of the Monk being Dead and Charm & Poison & Blind respectively. And then I saw how laughably little damage the Blast Gun did to Otabo's Mediator before Otabo's Thief Charmed both reinoe's Thief and Ninja, who both promptly teamed-up to kill the Time Mage. That was when I figured it wasn't going to be that clear-cut at all.

Despite being a quite good back-and-forth, there's not really much to say about the actual fighting itself since this is one of those matches where it could be close either way and thus Charm was usually a lot more devastating than it might normally be. The good compatibility also meant that much of the back-and-forth was "just" sandbagging given how easily the Ninja could kill the Mediator and Cursed Ring being in play on Otabo's side as well as reinoe's Thief having a one time Reraise. That reinoe's Insulted Thief got almost immediately put to Sleep in the first round also made that round longer than it most likely would have been otherwise despite reinoe still managing to win the round anyway.

I suppose the rounds were also slowed down a bit by Innocent lasting so long, meaning the overpowered Blast Gun did jack all damage to half of Otabo's team for most of the match; of course, that's assuming it hit at all given Otabo's Thief also has Projectile Guard. The laughable 35~ damage it was doing to his Mediator, however, was still enough to negate Phoenix Down. There was also a lot of Sinkhole from Perria the Priest and generally undoing statuses on both side, including Charm, rather than letting it "ride", at least where it could.

*looks at Insult and Death Sentence*

Otabo's Monk also having HP Restore kinda slowed down things as well. I have to wonder if he still would have won the second round had it not gone off or had Insult not hit the Archer. (Or had reinoe's Archer just waited for the Ninja to lose Charm rather than using Hawk's Eye to basically kill him for reinoe.) Shrug.

The third round just saw Otabo getting steamrolled because reinoe finally got Haste 2 off on his entire team in one go and Otabo got less lucky with Talk Skill while his team rushed ahead to risk using it as the A.I. is wont to do. Also, Death Sentence on the Ninja kinda backfired due to the A.I. ignoring units with that status. Oh well. Match-ups were good compatibility is a factor are usually kind of quick, so I'm more surprised that this match ended up taking so long, relatively speaking.

*looks at DomieV's next match with dread*

It's a shame to see Otabo go given he usually makes good teams, but I'm not at all unhappy to see another team with Quickening and (the current form of) Cursed Ring go. Those things can burn.

I've only now realized that I was capitalizing "Teams" and "Commentary" in the spoiler titles before. Figures. I'm not going to back and fix that, at least not right now.

Quote from: DARKANGELUXZ on August 29, 2014, 03:55:03 amLeaving aside the ingredient sarcasm,
I am grateful for the opportunity and I'm learning a lot from you, greetings
luck to all

Yeah, sorry. I kind of default to sarcasm for most things, even if I'm being blunt, and the Internet's--well, text's--utter lack of audible tone only exacerbates that. As long as it helped a bit, then I suppose that's good. At least I had a bit of a semi-legitimate excuse to not be concise for once.

Quote from: silentkaster on August 29, 2014, 03:27:24 pm
As a side note, if you disappear again, The Damned, I will be very sad. I appreciate and enjoy reading your thoughtful commentary.

Noted and thanks. It's useful to know some other poor unfortunate can endure my abrasive, demonic walls of text.

That said, I'll probably disappear again at some point though; it's rather inevitable. It's just a question of whether I disappear sooner than later and for how long.

I'll try to stick around to at least the end of the tournament though.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Reks

• Discord username: Reks#0128

Otabo

Cursed Ring at its best. For sure that was the greatest comeback I've seen in quite some time. Time Mage and the female archer share the title of MVP no doubt; the instant Raise 2 on the archer, then the Arm Aim on the male archer, then the charm on the ninja!? Epic stuff.