• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:46:11 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

[Old] FFT Plus 1.02 upcoming changes

Started by Dome, June 01, 2012, 12:45:58 pm

Dome

...So fucking Tired
Full FFT: Plus Master Guide .xls Format
Again, need feedbacks.
Feel free to point out whatever does not seem right in your eyes

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Stretch

July 27, 2012, 05:06:17 pm #161 Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 05:21:49 pm by Stretch
The Draw Outs should be scaled so that the ones you'd want to use most are the most expensive.  The most powerful ones are also the cheapest. Maybe, give the earth and lightning ones a status as well to compensate? Or just switch up some of the magic power numbers.

I like the swordskill changes. Making them more unique is a good idea.

Perfumes: in this day and age who cares if dudes wear perfume?
Yeah, right

Dome

Draw Out is not that powerful anyway...
Single Target MA*12 Dmg isn't very strong unless you equip stuff to boost fire/stack MA

@Swordskills

@Perfumes
LOL! XD

Dome

P.s: There is a small error in the Master guide:
Squids are supposed to half Fire, and not Earth

Dome

July 30, 2012, 03:39:05 pm #164 Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:15:59 pm by Dome
Those are the ASM hacks I'm planning to implement in FFT: Plus
Feel free to discuss/suggest whatever you want about them

- Best compat does 25% instead of 50% extra dmg, good/bad 12.5%
- Specials can do propositions
- You can change name of human units
- Cursor starts on "Continue" instead of new game
- Equip Crossbow lets you equip Bow+Crossbow
- Equip Sword lets you equip Swords+K.Swords
- Equip Axe lets you equip Axes & flails
- Undeads always come back 100% of the times
- Support above Short charge gives you 25% more precision
- Short charge works on charge
- Arrow Guard blocks Bows, Guns & Thrown Items
- Axes do PA*WP damage
- Party Roster hack
- Move/Jump +3 become Solidify (Walk on Lava+Water, half: Fire & Water) & Ground Aware (Swim + Poison Immunity)
- You can enter the Fur Shop without "Poach"
- Stolen & Broken Equipment can be bought back at the fur Shop V2.
- Player gains less money from winning fights
- Hi Potion heals 20% of HP and X-Potion 33%
- Attack Up/Defense Up/M.Attack Up/M.Defense Up 25% instead of 33%
- Removed randomization from level ups
- Jp Glitch Fix
- Oil Glitch Fix
- P.Down does 25% dmg to undeads
- Charging/performin units do not take extra damage
- Gear scales based on story progression instead of level
- Fist damage becomes PA/2*PA
- MP Switch damage overflows to Hp
- Removed Permanent Br & Faith alterations
- Untruth bug correction
- Martial arts boost is 25% instead of 50%
- Inherent RSM limitation hack
- Elemental weakness reduced to 3/2
- Death Sentence ignores Cancel: Dead
- Job 46: Undead Oracle is mountable
- Remove item duplication (Removes the "Best Fit" feature)
- Blind overrides concentrate
- Haste is 25% speed boost
- Slow is 25% speed loss

Stretch

Quote from: Dome on July 30, 2012, 03:39:05 pm

- Undeads always come back 100% of the times

Wouldn't this make the Cursed Ring an awesome item? Inifinite reraise? let them rot to an item 50% of the time.

- Stolen & Broken Equipment can be bought back at the fur Shop V2.

Is this still horribly buggy, resulting in tons of duplicates of end game items?

Yeah, right

Dome

QuoteWouldn't this make the Cursed Ring an awesome item? Inifinite reraise? let them rot to an item 50% of the time.

Cursed Ring IS an awesome item. I <3 undeads
Sadly, undeads can still be easily defeated with items/White Magic/Seal Evil...

QuoteIs this still horribly buggy, resulting in tons of duplicates of end game items?

This ASM received an update (By Choto? IIRC) implementing a check to avoid charmed units stealing your own stuff

The Damned

(Doesn't that still mean it screws up if charmed allies break your stuff, then? Or...?)

I'll download the Master Guide later and reply to it then. This may happen as early as tomorrow now though.

That said, I can at least use this time to ask yet more questions:

1. Good compat does 25% instead of 50% extra dmg
2. Equip Sword lets you equip Swords+K.Swords
3. Undeads always come back 100% of the times
4. Support above Short charge gives you 25% more precision
5. Short charge works on charge
6. Arrow Guard blocks Bows, Guns & Thrown Items
7. Party Roster hack
8. Move/Jump +3 become Solidify (Walk on Lava+Water, half: Fire & Water) & Ground Aware (Swim + Poison Immunity)

"Luckily", most of these are just asking for clarifications:

1. I'm guessing this means that you're using the hack that turns Best and Worst to 12.5% instead of 25% then, correct?

2. I'm not really sure how I feel about this, though that's a general feeling when it comes to Swords & Knightswords being on the same thing, not just your Swords and Knightswords. I'm guessing you're not changing any of the other Equips besides Equip Sword and Equip Crossbow, right? (The change to Equip [Cross]Bow is fine.)

3. I'm guessing this applies for all units afflicted with Undead, rather just the ones that Always: Undead? Also, if Undead units are coming back 100% of the time, then have you normalized the HP recovery? Considering that Undead can come back with up to full HP.... I suppose it isn't that problematic if you're still having them instantly keel over to Phoenix Down, Raise 2 and Seal Evil, but as I said before, these are mostly clarifying questions.

4. Uh...isn't this still straight additive (as in +25% independent of original value) instead of multiplicative (as in x1.25, like all other standard boosts)? That's most of the reason that I'm not using it anymore....

5. Short Charge affecting Charge...doesn't sit right with me given the nature of Charge, mostly conceptually, despite Short Charge's name, especially since you could just make Charges short in time anyway. It also partly doesn't sit right because Short Charge straight-out halves CT, but meh, I'm probably in the minority, so....

6. I can get behind Arrow Guard absorbing Catch, which I guess means Catch is dead, right?

7. I'm guessing this is the hack that allows you to have 20 party members?

8. Wait, you're using Move +3 and Jump +3 for these respectively? Why not just use Move on Lava or Walk on Water and Move in Water/ Swim respectively? Again, not a huge deal, I'm just curious.

P.S. The image links to your Equipment are all dead.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Dome

Of course, added

If you think I should change some other "Equip X" feel free to speak

A little clarification:
Undead monster are immune to both Crystal and Treasure, and so they will come back 100% of the time
Generic units can have the undead status only equipping the cursed ring, which gives immunity to crystal (All human units are immune to treasure)

Yes, it's dead

Yes :-)

Move in water/Swim are innate on some monster
Messing with those abilities will mess with them as well

P.s
Check the Master Guide or Download it if you can't see the images

P.p.s:
Added another ASM to the list

Dome

Added more hacks to the list, if you guys are interested :-)

Neophyte Ronin

Why is Undead Oracle #46 able to be mounted?

Oh, wait.  That's right: Boco, the White Chocobo.  Never mind.

Dome

Quote from: Neophyte Ronin on August 01, 2012, 07:45:16 pm

Which is now Boco... the Blue chocobo!
Why? Because Blue is my favourite Color, and gold is too similar to yellow (FF7 rulez)

Dome

Last tactical bump
If no one has to comment/add/suggest something about the ASMs I listed, we will move on to the next thing to discuss

Dome

Ok, so far the master guide is completed and the ASMs to use have been decided
Next point: Boss Battles

Do you think that Human bosses (Like Wiegraf, Izlude) should have Better gear than you/Innates/Higher level? Or maybe all of them? Generic/Special skillsets?

The Damned

("It might help to say which ASMs are new, Dome, especially since you put Equip Axe in there in between the old ones," he said as he idly began typing two hours ago, before the latest post, while he was doing other things.)

So, I've read through the Master Guide, especially since it's a lot shorter than I expecting compared to...my utterly plain, not-yet entirely detailed but dreadfully long Excel documents. As such, I'll respond to your question about it after I respond to these two quotes and then the new ASMs:

Quote from: Neophyte Ronin on August 01, 2012, 07:45:16 pm
Why is Undead Oracle #46 able to be mounted?

Yeah. It's pretty easy to forget that, but thankfully pretty much everyone seems to be using that Undead Oracle spot for Boco anyway, regardless of what color he is.

Quote from: Dome on July 31, 2012, 02:21:20 am2
If you think I should change some other "Equip X" feel free to speak

A little clarification:
Undead monster are immune to both Crystal and Treasure, and so they will come back 100% of the time
Generic units can have the undead status only equipping the cursed ring, which gives immunity to crystal (All human units are immune to treasure)

Move in water/Swim are innate on some monster
Messing with those abilities will mess with them as well

I see. I don't have any other Equip [X] suggestions at present, especially since you have 5 types of weapons I don't even have anymore. You could probably get away with just jacking ARENA's equipment stuff if you wanted to, though. At the very least, due to the fact that you have 18 different weapon types, you could get away with giving every other Equip [X] besides Equip Shield and Equip Armor three weapons to choose from. Up to you, though.

Regardless, it interesting to see you're not using Treasure at all either then. I can't say that I'm surprised given you asked me about the Undead rising thing in the first place. Do you have any intentions to replace it? Not that you have to, obviously, especially since you if wanted to add just want new status you could just use Wall's or Dark/Evil Looking's space, especially since the former has a CT that can be manipulated.

Anyway, I shall now ask for another clarification, though it seems obvious and I think I already know the answer; I'm merely asking this since it's jarring otherwise: Currently, there is no way in Plus to be afflicted with the Undead status save equipping the Cursed Ring, correct?

[NEW ASMs]
- Equip Axe lets you equip Axes & flails
- Charging/performin units do not take extra damage
- Gear scales based on story progression instead of level
- Fist damage becomes PA/2*PA
- MP Switch damage overflows to Hp
- Removed Permanent Br & Faith alterations
- Untruth bug correction
- Martial arts boost is 25% instead of 50%
- Inherent RSM limitation hack
- Elemental weakness reduced to 3/2
- Death Sentence ignores Cancel: Dead
- Job 46: Undead Oracle is mountable
- Remove item duplication (Removes the "Best Fit" feature)
- Blind overrides concentrate
- Haste is 25% speed boost
- Slow is 25% speed loss

Can't say I really object to any of this outside of Barefists still being quadratic formula, but damn if I've thought of a solution to that the problem myself really. It isn't exactly alleviating my fears given that even though you took away Monk's innate Martial Arts, you gave them infinitely free Accumulate as a sort of "consolation prize". This despite the fact that it's even more abusive even if it does make sense for it to be on that set. (Well, it actually makes the most sense to be on Charge, but since we can't intermingle Charge with anything yet still....)

Other than the Equip stuff I "suggested" above, I'm not really sure MP Switch being a 1 to 1 thing in Plus is going to work just because you're not planning on upping (raw) MP and/or lower damage that much from what I can tell. As such, I would have to agree with Raven when he chided Glain (or was it Pride?) that a 1-to-1 MP Switch is kinda underpowered, even with Move-MP Up around.

Still, I suppose it could work and it's better than taking it away, so meh.

Would you mind elaborating on "Inherent RSM limitation hack" or at least linking to it? I don't know what you're talking about there at all or recall ever having come across it.

Having looked over the Master Guide, I think it's best if I handle things in spoiler since I'm going to comb through it again right now to be thorough. I didn't see many mistakes when I went through initially though, so good job.

The element color-coding is...interesting. Keeps it from being drab at least.

Sigh. I really need to learn more about Excel...:

Generic Human Stat
1. Outside of nitpicking about the minor issue of inconsistent capitalization in the Innate section, I can see nothing wrong in this section. Well, nothing format-wise and grammar-wise, anyway.*

Special Human Stat
1. The same minor nitpick about inconsistent capitalization among the Innate section is the only issue here that I notice.

Generic Monster Stat
1. All three Behemoths are missing the second "h" in their names. I'm assuming that intentional though, just like using "Morbol" instead of "Ma(r)lboro", but I figured I'd point it out since I'm not entirely sure. Everything else looks to be as it seems it should be.

Special Monster Stat
1. I'm assuming that "Dragon" should actually be "Holy Dragon", especially since "Dragon" already seems to be taken by your Class C Dragon in the Generic Monster list.
2. Other than that, the fact that none of the Innate aspects of special monsters are giving is a bit odd coming after the Generic Monster State page, but that's obviously intentional, so I'm not sure you want to change/"fix" that.

Generic Skillset
1. I'm going to seem even more pedantic here, but I have to again urge consistency here. For instance, there's no reason that the Cancel: [Insert Two or More Statuses] shouldn't have commas between said statuses if you're going to bother doing it for Eye Drop; this applies for the far fewer abilities that Add more than one status, like Wall or Freeze. So, please either put comas between all things or don't.
2. Similarly, I will again harp--Bloody Strings yo--on inconsistent capitalization of the two word statuses...and "Mana syphon"...and maybe even Hp & Mp. One or the other for everything please, though those last two don't really matter, per se.
3. When it comes to something of actual substance, the only thing I notice is that if Soul Drain is "Wpn" element, then technically "Steal Mp" should also be "Wpn" element. That said, I'm admittedly unsure how Wpn element would affect that, at least in terms of weakness and resistance/halving.

Special Skillset
1. Presumably, Mighty Sword is missing "Req. Sword" in all of its Special column.
2. Related to that, even if the other "Sword Skills" (from vanilla Holy Knight) aren't "Wpn" Element, shouldn't Holy Explosion be, you know, Holy element still?
3. [Insert more harping on consistent formatting even in the most minor sense here.]

Monster Skillset
1. [Insert more kvetching about commas and consistency here.]
2. The Tier column in Demi's row under Skeletons saw "1-2-4" instead of "1-2-3".
3. Dark Whisper's "6,25%" should be "6.25%".

Weapons
1. [Insert more insistence on comma-use, though with respect to job classes given in blue, here.] Not else to say really given we went over Weapons in this thread already.

Shields
1. [Insert yet more Lamia Harping about comma-use, though with respect to both job listing and the special column this time, here.]
2. Genji Shield is currently misspelled as "Gengi Shield".

Headgear
1. See the first one of the above section.

Armor
1. [Insert slightly more kvetching about commas here.]
2. The bright blue "Equippable by" rows are blank for both Armors and Clothes.

Accessory
1. [Insert final kvetching that combines nagging about comma with the return of consistent capitalization under the Special column here.]
2. "Cherche" is presumably missing its first "h" since it's spelled as "Cerche".

Like said, nothing much that's "major" or even "moderate".

*I'm not sure how innate Move-Find Item on Thief will end up working out, especially given the frequency that Thieves show up as enemies and especially because they have tendency to do so on one-time only maps like Thieves' Fort, Dorter II, Goug and others. You're going to make sure to move the Move-Find Items close to the player party on all those maps.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Dome

The Damned, I love the way you post
Seriously, I like it :-)

Anyway...
- Treasure status is used for monsters. Crystal for humans. But if Boco dies, he crystallizes. Guess why? xD
- Yes, there's no way to have the undead status unless you equip the cursed ring or being a Skeleton/Ghost/Special undead monster
- Inherent RSM limitation hack:
Instead of preventing Chemist & Throw Item / Mediator & Monster Talk / Ninja & Two Swords / Monk & Martial Arts, this hack prevents all inherent abilities from being equipped. So in vanilla it alters nothing, but it will adjust to whatever you do in FFTPatcher. If you're feeling silly, you can do things like giving Knights innate Equip Armor / Equip Sword / Equip Shield to prevent the player from equipping junk. It does not stack with the previous hack; you can't ban specific combos.

It also prevents equipping multiple copies of a single R/S/M ability, which again has no effect in vanilla, but is probably desirable if you're using a "merge Support/Movement" hack.

- Thanks for the grammar-check on the master guide, I'll work on fixing those errors ASAP
- Do not worry about move-finds: Nothing that can be found with Move-find is unique (Except for the Materia Blade)

The Damned

August 03, 2012, 05:22:16 am #176 Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:25:21 pm by The Damned
(Hmmm...that's an interesting take on Treasure and Crystal.)

*palms hidden face*

Oh, right. Inherent RSM limitation hack is the hack that gets rid of such limitations. I should really remember that since I plan to use it; hmmm...now I have the nagging feeling I haven't listed it, but I digress. Still, I guess I'm just used to having it phrased differently.

Sigh. I'm such an idiot.

Quote from: Dome on August 03, 2012, 03:49:34 am
Ok, so far the master guide is completed and the ASMs to use have been decided
Next point: Boss Battles

Do you think that Human bosses (Like Wiegraf, Izlude) should have Better gear than you/Innates/Higher level? Or maybe all of them? Generic/Special skillsets?

IMO, Human Bosses having Better Gear and being Higher Leveled than you makes logical sense given how who most of them work for and how pretty much all of them, save perhaps Algus/Argath/Asshole, have way more battle experience than you.

Innates are potentially fine too, though I don't think they should have as many as monsters in most, if not all, instances just because they already have the benefit of being human. That and some innates are extremely irksome, like how Innate Concentrate on 1.3 Izlude bugged the crap out of me, though part of that was because Blind didn't do anything to Concentrate in 1.3. Still, if they get Innates at all, they should only get one or two and preferably not be any of the UP abilities and, more optionally, they should be noted in their job description to encourage people to use the Select button.

I'm not sure what you're asking with "Generic/Special Skillset" since pretty much all Human Bosses have Special Skillsets anyway.

Dome

Quote from: The Damned on August 03, 2012, 05:22:16 am
(Hmmm...that's an interesting take on Treasure and Crystal.)

I feel it's another way to make monsters/Humans different (It also has a gameplay purpose: If you want the enemy's gear, you have to steal it)

IMO, Human Bosses having Better Gear and being Higher Leveled than you makes logical sense given how most of them work for and how pretty much all of them, save perhaps Algus/Argath/Asshole, have way more battle experience than you.

I lol'd IRL at the bolded part xD

Innates are potentially fine too, though I don't think they should have as many as monsters in most, if not all, instances just because they already have the benefit of being human. That and some innates are extremely irksome, like how Innate Concentrate on 1.3 Izlude bugged the crap out of me, though part of that was because Blind didn't do anything to Concentrate in 1.3. Still, if they get Innates at all, they should only get one or two and preferably not be any of the UP abilities and, more optionally, they should be noted in their job description to encourage people to use the Select button.

Ok, got your suggestion: Higher level, better gear, and not so many innates (Which have to be listed in the description)

I'm not sure what you're asking with "Generic/Special Skillset" since pretty much all Human Bosses have Special Skillsets anyway.

FFT Plus is a work in progress, we can decide everything:
For Example, I could give Izlude the knight's skillset as primary and jump as secondary to make the fight easier (He would become a "beefed up" knight in this way)

The Damned

(Whoops. That first "how" was supposed to be a "who". Fixed.)

Oh, so that's what you meant. I briefly thought that's what you did, but I then thought it couldn't be since, honestly, that seems kinda pointless.

I mean, I could see you would do it to make the fight potentially easier, since I'm assuming that putting it secondary means it's more unlikely for the AI to have all the skills there (for whatever reason). However, that ultimately just seems like more work for you to little actual effect, especially since you're the one determining what the special skillsets hold in the first place.

Neophyte Ronin

Though I've been out of it in terms of discussions, I have full confidence that we'll have a new version, discover even less bugs than before, and have some fun with this patch.

Algus/Argath/Asshole... I'm going to remember that one.

Funny you mention that, because I took the liberty of rewriting virtually every word in the original translation, using sugnuf's script and going through everything featured in TactText, hence my slow trickle of posts.  I should submit this for approval: I wish to mow down and neaten up the translation.

There are a few caveats, not the least of which involve the amount of desired profanity and a general consensus on what to name each character.  Most of these are straightforward, although a few were changed for the worse and others for the better, and still a few others are just out there.  I intend to change a couple names here and there and, as a result, I have performed research about where they came up with some of them.

Now, most are eerily similar to combat terms (Meliadoul sounds like Melee and Duel and probably pronounced the same way, a Japanese sort of pun that didn't translate all too well since, to overseas people, it sounds garish and loud).  However, there are actual rhymes of reason behind each one:

Vormav is a Russian word for Thief.  Voorman is a word combining the terms for "Before/in-front-of" and Man, so it could also mean a boss or head of agency.  Yeah, that's pretty literal.  The Russian word is very telling of Vormav, so using the WotL version is off limits.

Rofel is awkward beyond belief.  Loffrey is most likely the intent of the original script, hence we change it.  Now, we could give him a nickname like ROFLCOPTER, but that's just pushing buttons.

His last name, Lachish, refers to the Lachish Letters, a series of ancient correspondences found on carbon ink and clay ostraca.  It may be found at the British Museum in London.  The original term "Rakshu" is a clearly Japanese-sounding transliteration of the word Lachish.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/lachish_letters

For a long time, I thought Meliadoul was pronounced "Melee-Duel" as a typical Japanese pun, sort of like naming characters after food products because they think it sounds funny (over here, we name them after rock musicians where appropriate).

After using Google's search engine, I happened upon the "Melian Dialogue", a conversation written by Thucydides about the response of a neutral island off the coast of Sparta to an invasion by the Athenians as part of a game to spite their rivals.  The similarity between the names was genuine enough for me to incorporate a revision of her name to better capture the origin of the name, and to brush it up a bit: Mellian Diala (fancy female middle name) Tyringel.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/melian_dialogue

Celia and Lede/Lettie are gross mistranslations of phrases meant to describe their attire: Celia wears blue and Lede red.  The Romanji for Lede is REDI for God's sake!  How could we have missed that?  I hated Lede/Lettie's name for the longest time and sought to alter it; I dubbed her Liedel, a witch who appeared in the first Ogre Battle game and who doubled as the chronicler (like Alazlam) in Ogre Battle 64.  What can I say?  I'm a fan of Yasuni's work.

Anyway, REDI can be switched to Liedel, although I intend to fix the text to include pet names among these enchanting little succubi; her friend Celia (now called Seria) calls her Rouge, a sexy-sounding variant for the color red.  As for Celia's change, it sounds closer to Cerulean, or indigo, a variation of the color blue, which she happens to be wearing.  In short, the Ultima Demon Assassin girls are named after their fucking outfits.  Could Azrael get any less creative with his cohorts?  Then again, they're likely pseudonyms in place of their true names, which could be used by a savvy magician to bind them to a mortal's will.

Kletian Drowa is fucked-up.  The name is inspired by the French scribe, Chretien de Troyes.  I'll go with that, thank you; both translations failed to capture what it was.

Izlude, or Isilud, are both wrong.  The closest word that comes close is Isolde, better known as the hottie babe in the Tristan & Isolde romantic epic.  Why the fuck is this kid named after the chick, huh?  Fucking Japan, I swear....

But to be honest, Tristan isn't such a bad name, so we'll name him that.  That's his real name, which is alluded to once or twice in my (revised) script, assuming nobody objects.  He gets the name Isolde as a cheap hazing gag on the Knights Templar's part.  Meliadoul will allude to his name during a few of her dialogues during the scenes involving her.

Golgoroth is actually the name of a toad-like great old one in the Lovecraftian tradition, one with a particularly hard stare.  Golgoros and Gorgoroth are close, but Golgoroth is the one we'll use.  It doesn't really matter a whole lot beyond the cosmetic side, as Sir Levigne is a passable name and the Golgoroth is probably just a nickname anyway.

Milleuda is almost there, but not quite.  To be honest, there are several allusions to Old English terms like Weald, which stands for forest.  It's not the Siedge, but rather the Sweegy, yet it's a Weald now.  Relax, it's cool.  Speaking of Old English, while looking up Mildew, I found that it's an Old English word standing for Honeydew (you know, that stuff that aphids leave behind?), before it became associated with sick building syndrome in the modern age.  Milldeua (pet name: Milly) is a slight change that befits her honey-golden hair and once-sweet persona turned rotten and festering from the abuses of the nobility.  It's not a major change, but it is closer to what she's like.

Wiegraf is now Wiglaf.  Fuckin' eh, I mean, really?

A lot of the dialogue has been given a face lift as well.  I noticed that the stolid script lacks a good sense of humor, no matter what translation there is.  The only bit is slapstick and it happens to Mustadio.  In Plus, Mustadio is halfway near being a decent player character, so keeping him the only whipping boy ain't gonna fly.  I just pulled this scene out: it's the brief family reunion.

By the way: if you know if {0xf4} is meant to be a pause in the scrolling dialogue that you press Confirm to continue displaying (saw it used in TactText and I remember it was used in Mustadio's Formation Screen Quote), and that it still works in other programs by virtue of it being legitimate code, let me know.

The Aegis, Agrathi: You should know, the Sadalfas family was once respected and praised just like yours, {Ramza}.  But my grandfather was captured during the Fifty Years' War.  They say he did something unconscionable.  They said he sought to save his own skin by trading those of his comrades.  But, as he left the bastion....  He was stabbed in the back, by none other than a squire just like myself.  One of my grandfather's former comrades escaped and spread the lies around like Germinas wildfire.  Of course, father never believed one word of it.  But everyone else did, and he was deserted... whitewashed.... (tosses stone into fountain) With the rank I was born with... I would never have entertained the notion of an audience with Dycedarg....

Young Girl's Voice: Deeelllitaaa!  Oh, Deeeeellliitaaaa!

Delita (turns): I heard ya the first time, Teta!

Ramza (turns, startled): Whoa!  Alma, Zalbag!  How long were you...?

(They approach together)

Alma: Hey {Ramza}, you never wrote anything about coming home!

Ramza: So brother, did you get my letter about me coming home?

Zalbag: What letter?  (Pause) Never mind that; I only heard you lambasted those thieves in Gariland to a pulp!  That's worthy of our name; I've no doubt our father above is pleased with both of you right now.

Ramza: ...Thanks.

Zalbag: Ha, ha... just the same as always.  Still uncomfortable hearing that... (pause) do me a favor and never change.  So, Delita, looking good; I did hear you're doing all the heavy lifting.  (pause) Teta can't stop chattering about you.

(Teta approaches Delita)

Teta: Yeah, and I'm almost impressed you're still vertical, wearing that suit.

Delita: Heh, I'll take that as a compliment.  You look good, too.  How's school by the way?

Teta: Uh... it's all right.  I am passing every class, and the teachers are nice....

Zalbag: Alas, I'd love to stay and chat, but I got suckered into another string of manhunts for prowlers and such.  If I may take my leave....

Ramza: Good luck and God's grace, we shall pray for your victory.

(Zalbag waves goodbye and turns to leave, but pauses)

Zalbag: We've received a pigeon: they demand a ransom.

Agrathi (pissed, hence red text): What's this?!

Zalbag: 'Tis beyond my ken: (pause) these rebels preach death to the nobility and their servants.  Their hatred knows these bounds; they'd have slain poor Elmdor at Mandalia.  Why then would they abduct him for the sake of money?  It runs against their idiom....

Agrathi: Absurd!  They're no more than gil-per-grain brigands and beggars, I say!

Zalbag: The winds carry nothing from the grass planted in their midst. (Pause) Now, I voiced my concerns....  Yet, the nobles believe that our circumstances do not warrant further investigation....

Ramza: (to himself) A true Aquilor never abandons one in need.  (To Zalbag) Brother, where did the grass blow last?

(Note: sugnuf used the Japanese euphemism for spy in the original text.  I think it gives a flavor if you keep it in, and Zalbag and Ramza are among the girls, who might not catch onto the term.)

Zalbag: The Merchant Crossroads of Dorter, south of here, and east of the Abbey of Orbonne.

Note: The Ivalice Map is actually lop-sided, for many Medieval-era maps actually had north pointing to the left, and south pointing to the right.  It's a massive, massive self-perpetuating translation error to think that North, for whatever reason, is at the top of the map, when you pause to consider the range of climates as you head further to the "Right" of the map--that being warmer climates prone to excessive drought and dried salt flat lakes, etc.  It also makes sense when you note the Order of Northern Sky's location and Order of Southern Sky's location: left and right, respectively.  Did anyone else notice this besides me?

I dare say, guarding a castle is such a dull grind, eh {Ramza}?

(Zalbag leaves, having dropped his hint)

Delita: Looks like we have to cut our reunion short, Teta.  We'll resume afterward.

Teta: W-Worry not Delita, I know. (Pause) Make sure we reunite with you in one piece, all right?

(They embrace)

Delita: It's all right, sis, we won't do anything stupid; try to be good and keep Alma outta fights, okay?

(They let go)

We had better move, Aegis.

(Note: sugnuf could not decipher how the first translation incorporated the term Limberry Aegis Knights from what he observed was simply being part of the Marquis' private guard.  However, Aegis is synonymous with the word for guard, so the fancier term still makes sense in this context.  Delita makes it into something of a pet name for the wayward squire, up until their falling out.)

(Delita, Agrathi/Algus/ARGATH/Cocksucker/Asshole, and Teta take off; before Ramza can follow)

Alma: She wasn't telling him everything, {Ramza}.  (Pause) Not that she was lying....

Ramza: Don't tell me: you went and burned the schoolhouse?

(Figured that, since they're teenagers and in school, they have rapier wits of some kind.  Ramza should not be as clueless as he is described in the game.)

Alma: We thought about it for real.... (Pause) see, those witches at school won't leave her alone for, you know....

Ramza: So, those fights....

Alma: Yeah, I shouldn't have said a word of this to a hothead cadet with a pig sticker.  Listen: Teta will be all right, okay?  I'll be there for her.  Trust me.

Ramza: I'm not worried. If worse comes to worst, call me.  Don't over-strain that fist.

Alma: Speak for yourself!  You, the one pushing hard just to meet everybody's expectations!  Be yourself.  (Pause) Names are naught but shackles in love and war.

Ramza: Ha, ha, ha!  A year passes by and you're already sounding like our mother, heh-heh-heh!

(Ramza splits; Alma takes the chill breeze in stride)

Alma Ramza....

Now, for boss battles, they have to be thematic, true, but that also means you have to be able to prepare for their worst tricks.  Make sure there is a way to stave off the nasty and that the Reaction Abilities chosen fit the boss' idiom.  Critical Quick can be a painful occurrence at the wrong moment, for example.

EDIT by FDC: I had to edit your post because spoiler tag titles cannot contain apostrophes or they won't open when clicked.