• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:37:07 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

139 changes

Started by FFMaster, January 05, 2013, 09:33:37 pm

Barren

FFM, I'm not sure if you saw my post about a faith proc gun Tetragrammation. But if you did, what do you think of it?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Dokurider

One of my biggest problems with adding Haste is that it screws up timing unless you're very careful and even then, that relies on the other team giving you time to setup, which you can't always rely on. This is very important on teams with Mages on it, because they want to go last. So what I'd like to see in a staff is a Haste Immunity. Or add it to an existing accessory like Reflect Ring.

The Damned

February 07, 2013, 03:17:20 am #82 Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:22:57 pm by The Damned
(I could actually get behind that, even if I'm not sure if it's totally "necessary".)

So...the more I think about it, the more that the realization that Cursed Ring for some reason guarantees revival on the fourth turn 100% of the time rather than a mere 50% makes it even clearer to me that Quickening needs to die.

Quickening literally adds nothing substance to ARENA and becomes even more brain-dead when used with inevitable resurrection like Phoenix Blade or Cursed Ring or, hell, even just Dragon Spirit (or HP Restore) with Warpath (or Pilgrimage). If anything, then beyond the brain-dead aspect of it, Quickening also devalues several other abilities that would otherwise would be more than decent if it wasn't around: Speed Ruin, Cheer Song, Last Song, Speed Save, etc.

There's really very little reason to use any of those at present with Quickening around, especially when Quickening's just going to get more MP to feed off with the likely changes coming to Clothes. When combined with that and the Headbands maybe becoming mass-use via Equip Clothing or something, not even dedicated stuff like Seal Evil or Consecration is going to keep an Undead Quickening user "down"; before you claim that breaks are a solution, Maintenance answers that, especially since Gold Armor blocks both Petrify & Dead and Monks are already great users of Cursed Ring.

Between that and the fact that Dokurider figured out how to manipulate the normally stupid AI into using the damn thing, it really just seems like it's run its (unwelcome) course finally. Kudos to Dokurider for figuring out how to manipulate AI into using it considering it's been more than a year since it's been around and no one (publicly) figured it out.

So, yes, FFMaster, I know you said to try to come a compromise, but I would implore you to please just kill off Quickening already, especially since there's really been no valid counterarguments for it staying around at present. I mean, if we are admitting that Speed is so important that Sprint Shoes is declared good by literally adding only +1 Speed off the bat, then how is Quickening anywhere near balanced if you get at least one Sprint Shoes worth for free almost every time?
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Dokurider

Oh you poor fool, if you're sick of Quickening now...

reinoe

I was looking back at some old videos for inspiration.  Like page 59 of the AI VIDEOS thread.

Anyway I ran across this gem...

Avalanche...
QuoteYes i didnt want to say that magic-guns are to strong.
I just think that using those guns are to strong with abilities that use Wp in their formular. Because in those cases, as far as i understand it, they dont care of the actual Formular of the Guns, just for the Wp.
And Guns have the highest Wp, eventhough their Wp, eventhough their normal-dmg is not so high. --> this is what i mean with discrepancy between actual dmg. and Wp. (which is fine).

Hope its clear what i mean.

Barren...
QuoteI hear you, like even at 40 brave you can do over 200 damage with Kagesougi with a blaze gun like SSM's Archer. If you still feel that Magical Gun WP should be nerfed you can post that in the final check on bugs for the tournament topic. FFMaster is planning at some point to release 1.38 with the proposed changes anyways before we get underway with the tournament.

Lol at Magic Guns being O.P. for the entirety of 1.37 and 1.38.  First it was because they could be combined with Kagesougi.  Now it's because of their raw damage.
My dreams can come true!

Malroth

I say give quickening a 8 CT casting time that way by the time they top 13 speed they'll stop using it

The Damned

(That would be better, but I'd rather just have Quickening die, especially since 13 Speed without having to really sacrifice anything is still rather "overpowered".)

Before I forget and "really" leave, two quick things to comment:

1. Bullrush and most likely Counter Tackle seem to be unavoidable instead of actually taking P-EV as the Master Guide says they should. I'm...actually kind of fine with this given Bullrush damages the self. Still, it might end up being too much, which is part of the reason I'm mentioning it.

2. It would seem that Masamune the katana is casting Dispel Magic 100% of the time rather than 50% of it from what I've seen of it, which is surprisingly a lot of as late. I'm beginning to think that the general variation formula for procs is what's awry here given all the other proc issues, but I personally have no way of checking that, so....

I'm still annoyed that I can't remember the one general thing that I know is still missing from that list. Hmm....

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

The Damned

(Ugh. I hate "double posting" even if it's been two weeks.)

Regardless, this post is an addendum to the above anyway. Bullrush and, by extension, Counter Tackle are avoidable. I just have yet to see them miss as with Mage Masher apparently since Dokurider said I was wrong about being 100% accidentally. With that said, I'm now unsure if I would prefer it being unavoidable considering, even or perhaps especially if Counter Tackle changes....

Aside from that, if you have the time on top of everything else, FFMaster, then can you please change the start positions on Bervenia Volcano to be on opposing shores?