• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 09:20:38 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Nooby Problem

Started by Niteblade, August 15, 2013, 12:05:31 am

Niteblade

Hey guys, I'm stalked around your forums for a couple months now and started my own recreation/hobby mod... I've changed sprites, jobs, skillsets, animations, etc. but I've run into some problems.

I changed Beowulf, Reis, and Cloud's sprites and when I go to do the sidequests to unlock them at Goug I'm getting stuck at an infinite "Now Loading" screen. I've been playing this modded version just fine up until this point without issue, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Also, I'm trying to add some new skills to the archer job. 1 will disable, 1 will immobilize, and 1 will blind. I can't get these to work with a bow though. I tried taking the setup from the engineer class and those don't work. When I go to use them it says it will deal damage as a normal attack and when I confirm the action nothing happens and I lose my turn.
Boy oh boy... The price of freedom is steep.

Angel

In the case of the sprites, it sounds like either a bad palette mismatch or corruption from shishi. Some versions of shishi are known to cause problems when importing non-character graphics, and there have been isolated cases of issues cropping up with just character sprites as well (though far from a common problem). So, which version of shishi were you using, and were you importing sprites that were already made, or sprites you made yourself? And more importantly, were any other graphics changed?

The abilities, someone else would be better to respond than I.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Niteblade

August 15, 2013, 01:59:30 am #2 Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:06:47 am by Niteblade
Quote from: Toshiko on August 15, 2013, 01:53:58 am
In the case of the sprites, it sounds like either a bad palette mismatch or corruption from shishi. Some versions of shishi are known to cause problems when importing non-character graphics, and there have been isolated cases of issues cropping up with just character sprites as well (though far from a common problem). So, which version of shishi were you using, and were you importing sprites that were already made, or sprites you made yourself? And more importantly, were any other graphics changed?

The abilities, someone else would be better to respond than I.

I'm using Shishi version 1.0.0.482. It came with the FFTPatcher Suite version 0.482.

I swapped Beowulf for Hector, Reis (Human form, Dragon form is untouched) for Lysay, and Cloud for Shadow. All the sprites I used came directly from this site.

I've changed some of the other special characters and some of the generic jobs sprites. All of them have been changed since New Game and worked just fine up until this point, literally right before the final series of battles in Chapter 4. I can list all the sprite changes I did if it's necessary.

Aqueous

Hi Niteblade,

It's difficult to narrow down exactly what the issue is with the sprites. For starters, are you playing a burned copy on a physical PSX or emulating?

On the issue with the Archer abilities, unfortunately there's some real stumbling blocks with using bows and special attacks. It's been awhile since I modded any abilities/classes etc. as I'm pretty much finished with my own hobby mod, so my memory is a little hazy, but I can tell you for certain I tried to do something similar to you (I wanted to make the Archer have a lot of utility).

Eventually I managed to get the skills to execute correctly. however the animations were messed up (the arrow wouldn't actually hit the target but just go across the screen).

I think there's an intrinsic limitation with the animation and the "Aim" skill set that the only way to get past is ASM Hacking, which is way beyond my port of call. There are spreadsheets on the site which can produce code for you that acts as an ASM Hack, I believe that's how I got around the issue you're facing with the abilities not executing properly, but the animation fix would require manual intervention.

If ASM Hacking isn't an option for you then I'm afraid you might be limited to just buffing the Aim skill set - I personally made it so it could be used with other weapons so at least Archers had a skill set that transferred to other jobs.

Niteblade

I downloaded a PSX .bin file. After I mod it I then convert it to an eboot and play it on my PSP because I can't get FFT to run properly on my ePSXe emulator. The video runs at like 300 fps and the audio does the same. I've tried a couple setups I found on your forums, and they help a little... But it's still virtually unplayable unless I put it on my PSP.

3lric

Use Psxfin instead of ePSXe. Its alot easier to setup.

Or use Connectix VGA if you can find it. Its even easier to setup, but the quality isnt quite as good
  • Modding version: PSX

Niteblade

I downloaded PSXfin and got it running. It's playing the game wonderfully! :D only problem now is I have to play through the whole game again to see if that cutscene will work.

I still haven't gotten my archer skills working. If anyone has any tips, I'd be happy to hear them.

ovshanevo

August 21, 2013, 04:02:22 pm #7 Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:12:10 pm by ovshanevo
I know very little about programming or the mechanics of this game, but something creep'd into my mind after reading your posts about the Archer issue: What about other skills instead of the Engineer, such as Oracles, Knight Swords or Beowulf's skill set?

:EDIT:

Just rumaging aroudn the forums and I came across this that might help: "The only thing taken the abilities are the effect and the ability Y. Since those status spells it would be doing damage WP * 0 and inflict no status. It could be hacked to shoot status spells but the vanilla coding would not allow such a thing to happen." -Pride (ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9917.0)

What I understand from this is that the skills used by Archers are, I think, WA based; so, if what Pride says is correct, then I guess the skills will not proc and not allowing you to cause a status ailment.