• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Expanding the job wheel! Seemingly forgotten knowledge...

Started by LastingDawn, September 15, 2008, 02:03:39 am

LastingDawn

September 16, 2008, 07:23:13 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
No, the skills could not be put as a secondary, but your other idea regarding them works.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Vanya

September 16, 2008, 09:03:52 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Ah, so they would be treated entirely as special jobs. With some ASM hacking we could set them up to be special rewards for specific events, I think.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

LastingDawn

September 16, 2008, 09:27:39 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Such a wonderful thought... but you would think the game would use that at least once for a job... though the blanket "ASM Hacking" is never as simple as it looks. Before we delve into that world we need to see the world which lies before us. An interesting case might be how one unlocks the Dark Knight... that seems like a lot of work, and many strange conditions to make it happen...

Art of War

Vanya

September 16, 2008, 11:00:35 pm #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Square simply added extra ASM code for the extra requirements for that case. Similarly, the Onion Knight was given extra restrictions. It really all boils down to our ASM knowledge.

That's how Zodiac was able to remove the Permanent Brave / Faith changes. If we can find the code that calls certain subroutines we can change a lot with minimal coding knowlegde.

Take the godforsaken Mime. I'm absolutely sure that once I find the code that checks for whether a unit is a mime or not I can disable it and make the bastard act normally. All that is needed is to find the code that branches and basically erase it. I'm sure the same is true for the Dark Knight and Onion Knight.
¯\(°_0)/¯

DarthPaul

September 16, 2008, 11:05:07 pm #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
are you sure you have minimal code knowledge cause some of that stuff takes a bit to even think of changing

but if you can im all for it im rootin through the code seeing what certain snippets do
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Vanya

September 16, 2008, 11:11:46 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Well, I know a lot of programing in general. C++, Visual Basic .NET, GameMaker Language, and by extension Pascal. I know the very basics of SNES ASM, and nothing about the type of ASM the PSX uses.

I'm having the most trouble right now getting the hang of the stupid pSX debugger.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Nagafen

September 17, 2008, 11:00:22 am #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Nagafen
Oh wow. I just read this.... LD, you are a god.

So, if I get this wrong, sorry, but are a lot of the classes unplayable in battle, or is it they need better battle sprites?

Vanya

September 17, 2008, 11:02:48 am #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
After a certain number of jobs the code starts reading other data as if it were job data which causes wierd effects.
¯\(°_0)/¯

DarthPaul

September 17, 2008, 01:28:01 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
and has funny results too
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

LastingDawn

September 17, 2008, 04:09:22 pm #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well... I didn't do a thing... I found a code Aerostar had made back in 2002, it was nothing... at all to do with me.

Art of War

EDarien

November 02, 2008, 04:33:33 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by EDarien
So, curious. I used this code once a long time ago, but I think I did something wrong because I don't much remember it working. Few questions hoping you could answer if you've tested it, but all assuming what I interpreted of your posts are correct. Assuming that 1)you can only add "specials" and no generics or monsters 2) even if you add Soldier to the job wheel, you can't add Limit as a secondary if you change out of the job. That's what I've gathered so far.

So the questions: If you change into Soldier, does that generic character look like Cloud? If yes, does this have an effect on Ramza/other specials? Since it seems you can't put the new classes' command sets as secondaries, but if you change into the job, can you put Basic Skill/Guts/etc as your secondary?

Thanks for any help since I used to do a lot of Sharking in the past, but am rather new to the patching the iso, plus I've made some mistakes when using the Gameshark so I'm curious how this might work.

EDarien

November 03, 2008, 09:09:09 pm #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by EDarien
Sorry for the double, but also I forget. Is there a specific way to use this code? I remember there being a minimum number you're supposed to use if you don't want to affect the existing jobs. I'd test these things my self with PEC (since the FFT Patcher doesn't allow to manually enter GS codes) but I just haven't had much time lately and would even have to redownload PEC since I don't have it again, yet.

Thanks.

Xeno3

November 21, 2008, 07:30:38 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xeno3
question: how exactly would we implement this into the patcher? or is there a way to run GS codes an an emulator?

Gamesoul Master

November 24, 2008, 09:24:01 am #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Gamesoul Master
@EDarien: If you change to a special character job with a generic character, the sprite will change to that special character while you're that job. This holds true in the pre-battle setup, but *not* in battle it seems. I saw no effect on any other characters by changing a generic into a special job (except portraits were messed up during the pre-battle setup). If you change a character (any) into a special job you added to the wheel, that character's initial job's skillset (whether it be from Squire, Holy Knight, whatever) is accessible as a secondary skillset.

And there is no specific way to use this code besides putting it in. You can set the number of jobs to be lower, the same, or higher than what you already have unlocked... doesn't really matter. If you set it higher though, you'll want to actually *set* the jobs after the ones you already had unlocked using the codes that come right after the "number of jobs" code. Otherwise you end up with a ton of blank and/or glitchy jobs after your unlocked ones (I tried changing my number of jobs to 32 while having 9 unlocked, and every single one after the 9th one was either blank or glitchy, and selecting it gave the result of having no job title and no main skillset, though my sprite stayed exactly the same).

@Xeno3: You would think it'd be simple to implement this into the patcher, but regardless of the simplicity, there'd be a problem that seems to have been overlooked here. This code basically takes the variable for how many jobs are currently viewable/unlocked, and changes it. It is *not* a static value. So even if you were to change the value in FFTPatcher, it would be instantly overwritten in-game by properly determined values for each character.

Running GS codes in an emulator... all you have to do is download PEC or CEP (one is plugin-based, one works for anything). Both will allow you to run GS (or just about any other type) codes in an emulator (though PEC is limited to PS1 emulators, and only ones that utilize the standard plugin style used by emulators like ePSXe).

HatterMadigan

November 30, 2008, 08:09:32 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by HatterMadigan
LastingDawn, do you need a gameshark to put in this "hack"? Could you not just extract it from the gameshark and/or game file and put it into a patch for both PSX and PSP? Would you then be able to assign copies of basic jobs onto the new job slots? Afterwards, could you somehow with other programs stretch and edit the 'Job Levels' section and overwrite the annoying 'unknown's and would that result in more jobs in the abilities learning bar? Is that even possible?

HatterMadigan

November 30, 2008, 08:16:20 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by HatterMadigan
I just looked at FFTPatcher, and forgot that CW and Gameshark were replacing each other. Woops. Is there a way of getting the code from gameshark and putting it on CW?

Vanya

April 08, 2009, 01:03:07 pm #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I just had an idea.
If I were to add in a job with these codes, give that job the Item skill set, and implement the All units have 'Item' menu hack...
I think it might free up Chemist for use as an additional job.
What do you guys think?
¯\(°_0)/¯

Skip Sandwich

April 08, 2009, 01:41:03 pm #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
I can't think of any reason that wouldn't work, it sounds like a good plan
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Vanya

April 08, 2009, 03:15:06 pm #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Still need to figure out how to make the GS codes permanent, though.
¯\(°_0)/¯

SentinalBlade

April 08, 2009, 04:25:27 pm #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Hex edit it? just take teh GS address and look for it in world.bin(zodiac will need ot help you here though, i dont remember how many bytes exist until world.bin starts(i.e., Battle.bin is "Address in RAM - 67000"

Most likely though, youll have the same problem as every other attempt. The switched jobs do not have a primary skillset. Even if you jsut enable teh code and switch chp 1 ramza to chp 2 Squire, the primary skillset doesnt want to appear. same goes for hell knight and others.