• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 04:23:14 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Placing Chemist further down the job tree and how it affects new units

Started by Shrikesnest, January 19, 2013, 11:42:06 am

Shrikesnest

My apologies if this was answered in a different thread.  I really did try looking before I made a new topic.

So I'm working on a little personal vanity patch, changing several generic classes to custom generic classes and rearranging the job tree accordingly.  Part of my patch's general thrust is that I'm making healing slightly tougher, for example having the cure spells only target one square.  One of the things I did was change Chemists to Alchemists (yeah, I know, zero points for originality) and push them far down the job tree, buffing items a bit to compensate but only having them appear in shops in later chapters of the game.  My idea was to have *three* base level jobs, essentially Squire, White Mage and Black Mage.

So I opened FFTPatcher and fiddled around with the job requirements, making Chemist require 3 Black Mage, 4 Enchanter and 4 Illusionist.  I patched the ISO without a problem, fired up the game and the tutorial battles went off without a hitch.  However, after I checked my formation screen at Gariland I discovered that all of my units had unlocked level 3 Black Mage, 4 Enchanter, 4 Illusionist and 1 Chemist, with several hundred unspent JP in each job.  It appears that at least your starting units are set to have Chemist unlocked no matter what the requirements are.  Since Chemist is one of the jobs whose skillset can't be altered without all sorts of weird effects, this puts me in the usual bind.

Anybody know if there's a way to make it so that starting generics don't have Chemist unlocked by default?

EDIT:  Just to be clear, new generics purchased from the soldier office do not share this quirk, just the generics you are given for free at the start of the game.

EDIT 2:  Solved it.  For posterity's sake, you can edit your starting generics in ENTD #188 in FFTPatcher.
  • Modding version: PSX
Put a drop of vanilla behind each ear and you'll smell like a cookie all day!

savantopus

Right on thanks I can see the potentiality in this... So how exactly are you editing your generics via the ENTD #188 in order to not have the item-glitch? Are you changing the "jobs unlocked" scroll down to something other than chemist? Thanks!
Every word man speaks is a plagiarism.

Shrikesnest

The generics in ENTD #188 are particularly set to have Chemist level 1 unlocked.  If you change that from Chemist to Base, they'll have whatever jobs don't have any requirements instead.  I can show you exactly where to change it in a screenshot if you can't find it.
Put a drop of vanilla behind each ear and you'll smell like a cookie all day!

savantopus

Ok awesome this helped a bunch! Now we know how to edit the starting characters. Interesting how the new units coming into the game are edited with this ENTD window. Have you tried editing Ramza from here?? I made some changes to him but they're not working the same as the generics... for example I gave him 65 brave and faith and they come up correct at the first battle Orbonne Monastary but revert back to 70/70 at the second battle Magic City Gariland...?

[edit] Is there another window that works for Ramza? Been trying different ones out..

RavenOfRazgriz

You need to use one of my workbook utilities to edit Ramza's Pre-Raw Stats (or edit them via a Hex Editor) in order to edit his Brave, Faith, starting equipment, etc.  However, this worksheet has a bug I've been too busy to fix so right now you're better off going in with a hex editor and doing it manually.  Razele's ASM thread has an easily-followed Tutorial on how to do this, though, so check the bottom of his opening post there and you can probably figure it out.

savantopus