• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 18, 2024, 03:09:12 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Urgent: Monitor/Video Card Help.

Started by DarkxFatal, December 27, 2012, 12:10:46 pm

DarkxFatal

So, for Christmas, I got a new video card (a Geforce Gtx 650) which I managed to install into my computer (Acer Aspire M1100) after some puzzling time. In order to put in the new card, I had to take out the smaller card that came with the computer (no idea what it is, exactly. I recall something like Intel....something..something..something.) But when I turned the computer on, the monitor was completely blank. Reading up online, I found out I should've (probably) installed the drivers first, which I then managed to do without being able to use the monitor. When the drivers were installed and I restarted the computer, the monitor worked!

...Albeit with some downgrades compared to the original card. The Geforce barely had any resolution options (only 4 and the highest was somewhere around 1620x720-ish) and it seemed to put my computer into Windows Basics mode, something that only used to happen with certain emulators and other programs being up. After some work, I managed to get the original card and the Geforce card in together, but the monitor wouldn't turn on. I tried doing the Geforce drivers again and the monitor turned on. For about ten seconds before it 'shut off' again.

It might be important, but the Geforce had a new video input slot..thing. Where the monitor's cable goes. It had a cross shape on the left side if you were looking at the adapter/slot head-on. Also, I already checked both video cards to see if they were properly set, which they were.

Sorry for the chunk of text :/

tl;dr Monitors not working, most likely due to video cards. I have drivers for the new one, but not the old one.
New Video Card: Geforce GTX 650
Old Video Card: Intel -something-
Computer: Acer Aspire M1100 (or M1, but probably M1100)
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster P2250

Thank you in advance for reading, and extra thanks for helping.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Tristan#9682

3lric

pcie cards are normally auto select but you should remove your other card.

does the new card have a plug on the inside of the conputer? likely at the end of the video card? this HAS to b plugged in. otherwise it wont get all the power it needs.

make sure you download the latest nvidia drivrrs as well as most discs are out of date.

lemme know if this helps since ive had this issue several times. but im always able to get around it one way or another.

DarkxFatal

Quote from: Elric on December 27, 2012, 12:57:54 pm
pcie cards are normally auto select but you should remove your other card.

does the new card have a plug on the inside of the conputer? likely at the end of the video card? this HAS to b plugged in. otherwise it wont get all the power it needs.

make sure you download the latest nvidia drivrrs as well as most discs are out of date.

lemme know if this helps since ive had this issue several times. but im always able to get around it one way or another.
Yeah, it does need to be attached to the power source, which I did. I'd try to download the nvidia drivers, but my wireless doesn't work too well without the wireless antenna that the initial card can use. (and even if my internet was perfect, the monitor is still blank so I can't see what I'm doing anyways. :/
  • Discord username: Tristan#9682

3lric

You may also want to check the total wattage on your Power supply, if you aren't running enough
this will also cause the card and other parts of the PC to not get all the power they need.