• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 15, 2024, 03:55:17 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

portrait color mumble jumble.

Started by scorpiovaeden, November 06, 2012, 04:21:32 pm

scorpiovaeden

November 06, 2012, 04:21:32 pm Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:48:54 pm by scorpiovaeden
Hi Guys,

I have learned a lot in the last few days about this.... but I have one problem that is plagueing me.

When I save the initial custom sprite spreadsheet .bmp file to open in graphicgale... the portrait itself has messed up colors... the colors stay that way in the game's formation screens when added (in battle the portrait has the correct colors).

I am wondering what I am missing that made the colors stay mixed up in the formation/char selection screens?

en4cer1133

I am having the same issues.  I have made my custom portrait, but I am trying to figure out why it looks really crappy when I load it into Shishi.  If you look at the ones that are already on the ISO, the portraits are messed up, so my question is, how do I take the portrait that I have, mess it up to look like the ones from the stock game so they display correctly in game?  I have already run through the tutorial about the portrait, but it is telling me how to fix it and make it look right on the sheet, not in the game.  any ideas?  I have tried using the "damaged" image as it looks kind of like a negative, but that doesn't work.  If you need the portrait, and the sprite sheet, just ask, and I can attach them.

Twinees

The portrait colours are loaded from the 9th row of the palette. If you want to edit the portrait exclusively, replace the first row colours with the colours in 9th row.
  • Modding version: PSX

en4cer1133

I have the colors for my portrait on the 9th row.  My portrait on the sprite sheet looks like it should, but when I load it into shishi, it looks terrible, and it also looks really bad in the game.  Do you know what I have to do to the portrait portion so it looks messed up on the sprite sheet so it will display properly in game like all of the standard sprites?

Glain

November 13, 2012, 09:19:32 am #4 Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:44:34 pm by Glain
If this is happening on the formation screens and not in battles, isn't it actually the wldface.bin portrait that has the wrong colors, not the battle sprite?

Edit: I think these are actually two different problems.  The formation screen problem is probably wldface.bin.  For the battle sprite problem, it could be that the portrait colors are actually pointing to the ninth row of the bitmap (so they would look right in an image editor), but they should be pointing to the first row?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

Review and learn Celdia's formation sprite tutorial, the same method for applying a portrait and palette apply here.
  • Modding version: PSX

en4cer1133

November 14, 2012, 05:36:38 pm #6 Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:14:09 pm by en4cer1133
Sorry for the wall of text before.  I found one little step that I skipped in changing the color depth to a lower setting to erase the portrait palette before I add in the portrait. :oops:  I got it all working and it looks great!  Thanks for the help!    :D