• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 31, 2024, 10:34:36 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

How to disable orgASM hacks?

Started by Wandering Cloud, August 12, 2012, 08:50:04 pm

Wandering Cloud

I accidentally enabled a couple ASM hacks using orgASM and patched it to the wrong ISO. I was meaning to patch an iso I was using to test but by mistake I patched my original one. Does anyone know how to remove / disable ASM hacks that were enabled using orgASM?

Eternal

Sadly, you can't undo the hacks you apply with orgASM unless you know ASM. :(
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Wandering Cloud

Ah that is really disappointing. My iso is patched with FFT+, would repatching it somehow fix the asm hacks to be like they were before? Probably not a viable solution, but I thought I would ask.

Eternal

You should patch a -clean- ISO with FFT+ and re-apply the ASMs you want with orgASM.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Wandering Cloud

If I did do that, is there any way I would be able to import my save from the old iso?

Eternal

So long as you don't touch the memory card, yeah.

Wandering Cloud

August 12, 2012, 10:59:05 pm #6 Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:36:35 am by Wandering Cloud
So I patched a new iso and the saves did carry over, thanks for your help!

Eternal

Aqueous

August 17, 2012, 03:44:14 pm #8 Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:53:22 pm by Aqueous
For future reference if anyone wants to know how to undo a hack - if you're really desperate there is a way and it doesn't require even close to the same level of knowledge to actually create the hacks, just tracking down where the code was changed and in which files, information contained clearly in the XML file.

If you're trying to simply remove one hack from your ISO and don't want to have to start everything from scratch with a Vanilla ISO, here's what you can do:

- Download a HexEditor - I'm personally using Frhed.

- Download CDMage from this site.

- Open the XML file for the hack you're trying to undo in Notepad.

- In the XML file, Edit-> Find the name of the hack as it appears in orgASM - you'll find something like this:

<Patch name="Regain 10% of Max MP after each turn">
    <Description>Regain 10% of Max MP after each turn</Description>
    <Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="F6EBC">
      2E000296
      9919033C
      9A996334
      1980033C
      902D638C
      0A0062A4
      250062A0
      FD350608
      5B000392
    </Location>
    <Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="1267EC">
      AF770508
    </Location>
  </Patch>

- <Location File=" will show the file the hack altered, in this example it says BATTLE_BIN so it edited Battle.BIN.

- Open your ISO with CDMage.

- Extract the file(s) the hack altered.

- Open them up in your Hex Editor.

- Do the same with for Vanilla ISO.

- Back to the XML file - next to the file the hack alters will be the offset such as F6EBC above in the example; copy that offset.

- Back in Frhed, go to the modified file, press Ctrl+G, type "x" into the dialogue box (tells Frhed it's a hexadecimal number) and then paste in the offset you copied and press enter.

- Do the same with the Vanilla version of the file.

- Last time back to the XML file, check the hex code underneath the location tag - however long the code is you need to copy and paste the same amount of data from the Vanilla file onto the modified file - for example, if your XML shows something like this:

<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="F6EBC">
      2E000296
      9919033C
      9A996334
      1980033C

Then you need to copy 48 characters (24 bytes) of data from that offset in the Vanilla file and Paste OVER (DO NOT INSERT) the same data in the modified file - Frhed will paste over (Paste Write) by default but some other Hex Editors do not.

- Repeat this for each of the offsets/files that the hack changed.

- Finally, reopen the modified ISO and import the files you changed.

You need to weigh up whether it's quicker to do this or start from scratch, it depends on how much you've modified your version of the game vs. how much you want to remove. I've personally done this twice because it would've taken me longer to start from scratch.

Good luck!

Glain

You don't actually have to extract your modified version of the file; you just need to have the correct file from the vanilla ISO. (And really, since that never changes, you can just keep an extraction of the vanilla ISO somewhere on your hard drive).

You can just create a patch that undoes the changes by copying and pasting the patch XML, giving it a new name, and overwriting the hack characters with the vanilla characters, then applying the "undo patch" with FFTorgASM.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Aqueous

That's very true actually, thanks for destroying my post! :lol: