• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 08:45:18 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Animation skill links

Started by Xifanie, August 27, 2008, 11:54:31 pm

Zozma

November 07, 2008, 07:00:51 pm #100 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
can someone plz help me with the "JUMP"

Quote from: "Zozma"awww this is pretty sweet...

okay so i changed one of the empty space below parasite to have the animation link thats the same as the lancer, and it created a JUMP and return all in one! it can be in any normal skillset!

only thing is and maybe its because its the skills after parasite, but it does that thing where it doesnt display the damage or make it look like the monster was hit...

:( i need it to show the monster getting damaged and showing the numbers....
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Lydyn

November 07, 2008, 07:05:28 pm #101 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
I don't know. =/ I changed "Spin Fist" to Jump and it works perfectly (except if you press "O" too often too early, the unit can get stuck in the air) - showing damage and the animation. It's very possible it's because it's the skill below Parasite.

Zozma

December 30, 2008, 03:18:58 pm #102 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
say vanya, you know how you knew all those animation skill links? is there one for the defense stance? i really need it...

Vanya

December 30, 2008, 05:32:29 pm #103 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I haven't come across one in the unedited data. I haven't checked every possible value either though. I imagine there should be one for it since the defending status forces that pose. ^_^

Edit: IIRC Zodiac put up a list of all the values on the wiki. You might want to check there before testing them yourself.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

December 30, 2008, 05:34:57 pm #104 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
oh i thought those animations were for events but its for spell links too?

see, barrets skills require him to temporarily take the defend stance...

Vanya

December 30, 2008, 05:39:05 pm #105 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Wait. Those are for events?

I'll double check and see if they match up with the list I have at all...
¯\(°_0)/¯

Vanya

December 30, 2008, 05:43:54 pm #106 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Never mind. Those have nothing to do with skill animations. I'll have to go ahead and start testing them myself. That is unless you want to help. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

December 30, 2008, 05:47:25 pm #107 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
well i work all night tonight XD and then i have to finish my sprite.....

id have to keep it on the back burner myself.

Vanya

December 30, 2008, 05:55:52 pm #108 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I don't plan to work on a damn thing until after I get over my eventual new years hangover. Plus my friend lent me his Wii & LoZ: Twilight Princess which I had never gotten to play. So yeah. Back burner. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

Kaijyuu

March 21, 2009, 01:20:46 pm #109 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
I'm getting an odd effect trying to change an animation. I turned one of the Bio 3s into a sword skill, and mechanically it works great and everything. Problem is, when I changed the animation to the same as the other sword skills (07 00 00), it uses the punch animation instead of a sword (which is equipped). Night sword (which is in the same skill set) works fine.

Am I doing anything obviously wrong?

EDIT: Fixed it. Had to check "weapon strike" in the patcher.
  • Modding version: PSX

R999

Quote from: "Zozma"can someone plz help me with the "JUMP"

Quote from: "Zozma"awww this is pretty sweet...

okay so i changed one of the empty space below parasite to have the animation link thats the same as the lancer, and it created a JUMP and return all in one! it can be in any normal skillset!

only thing is and maybe its because its the skills after parasite, but it does that thing where it doesnt display the damage or make it look like the monster was hit...

:( i need it to show the monster getting damaged and showing the numbers....

Are you still having problems with this? Have you tried using another animation? I have used 10-11 slots below Parasite in the Abilities and they all function perfectly normal for me. So I am guessing it could just be that single animation that's having problems. It could also have something to do with the "Effect" that you apply to it as well. There are a lot of effects that do not show any message after hit.

Vanya

It probably has to do with the effect, but even with the correct effect it's a bit glitchy because the effect tends to go off before the jump animation is done.
It will probably only be fixed with ASM.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

a solution was never found for this

R999

Can you be more specific Zozma?  I have gotten a custom Jump animations + Effect to work perfectly.  There are only Four things to be aware of,

1) use an effect that is long enough, but not too long that syncs up with the jump landing animation.

2) Disable the display of the effect name if the skill is useable by the Player to avoid "Walk in midair glitch". And I am sure you already know,

3) must be instant cast. And

4) choose an effect that Do show damage/status. There's a workaround for 4) if you must choose an effect that normally doesn't (like a story effect). But I haven't fully tested this workaround yet though you are free to PM me if you are interested in it.

Zozma

my only real problem is that it does not display hp damage. my intent was an instant cast lvl8 jump

other than that the effect i used was simply an "animation skill link" and not using an effect file at all effect "FFFF"

R999

@Zozma,

Don't use FFFF for ability Effect. Some skills, like the Knight's default X Break abilities are hardcoded to display the damage/status/target reacting animation (hurt or raise hands) (Coincedentally, those are the same slots which you will need to use for workaround effects as well that don't normally display those messages). There are some caveats involved, such as making sure Weapon Strike is flagged (but again, I haven't 100% tested it especially if these slots work for Jump landing Byte2 animation).

And, it is not limited to the Jump animation either. Setting FFFF effect will not work on a lot of other skills. The short solution problem is to simply set an Effect that is not FFFF. For the workaround, you must experiment with those Knight X Break ability slots. The Throw Stone slot is also hardcoded to display the Stone being thrown, as well as the aftermath animation/message/status. Otherwise, try not to use the FFFF effect.

Zozma

hmm interesting. this would at least give the oportunity to make lancers have a nicer skillset including the jump skill

i wish someone knew how to hardcode a second slot with the "stone throw" animation so i could make a grenade skill lol

Btw, another thing im curious about, there seems to be an alternate magic casting sound effect, i wonder if there is a second spellcasting animation that uses this sound effect instead of the normal one...

Zetaro

is their a way to make my own move. like for example, using a sword to cast fire or something.
Everyone will know the name Zetaro!

Eternal

If by that you mean swinging a sword, and then having the fire animation play, just use Weapon Break's animation bytes and set the skill to use Fire's effect. If you want it to require a Sword, just check the "Requires Sword" checkbox. :)
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Zetaro

weapon breaks animation bytes? what that?
Everyone will know the name Zetaro!