• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Ideas for simulate Red Mage's double cast

Started by Rfh, October 12, 2011, 12:09:40 pm

Rfh

October 12, 2011, 12:09:40 pm Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:49:08 am by Rfh
You need:

- Use Xifanie ASM hack [#+1% Chance of Spell Casting (formula 02)] and select 100% chance of casting
- Create Weapons that can only equip Red Mage and select formula 02 for these weapons and the spells that you want cast.
- Create a Red mage Job with innate Dual Wield and Reequip.

- (only if it is possible) Use a ASM hack that makes Reequip doesn't require one turn.
- (only if it is possible) Use a ASM hack that removed 3/2 first squares for ranged weapons. (Or remove Direct/Arc effects and the weapons can hit in any height conditions.)
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: rfh

Desocupado

A hacked Truth and Untruth formulas might work better, no?

Rfh

Quote from: Desocupado on October 12, 2011, 12:52:31 pm
A hacked Truth and Untruth formulas might work better, no?
But you can only use one type of spell.
  • Discord username: rfh

Vanya

I've always thought the best way to go about it is to hack the Math Skill to work like double cast. The basic menu structure for it is already there making it the easiest, I think. If I had better ASM skills I would have done it ages ago myself.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

RandMuadDib

I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Vanya

I dunno, he seems pretty busy lately. Would be nice if SOMEONE would take it up.
¯\(°_0)/¯

pokeytax

October 12, 2011, 11:23:32 pm #6 Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:25:13 pm by pokeytax
I've tried it before, because it seems like a natural fit. It's not that easy! But yeah, I really would like a real Doublecast.

Vanya

That's definitely one of those "holy grails". But I can see how it would be difficult, and probably takes up quite some space, right?
¯\(°_0)/¯

Kaijyuu

How would double cast work with two spells with different charge times? Or you going to ignore those?

If you ignore charge times, do understand the main reason math skill was ridiculously overpowered was due to lack of them (well and magic point cost). Double cast is already pretty powerful in concept.

*thinks for a bit*

Adding the two charge times together would actually be pretty balanced. That probably adds a humongous layer of difficulty to code it in, though.

Vanya

Or you could take the average of both charge times. How does FFTA do it?
Also I would definitely help to reactivate the MP cost of spells along with the addition of a penalty to each spell's power.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Pride

Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Vanya

OK. Then I'd say stick with taking the average of both chosen spells.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Kaijyuu

That opens the following abuse (feature?):

Use a long CT, powerful spell with something like Fire 1. Boom, your powerful spell's cast time is drastically lowered at the cost of a tiny amount of MP. Who needs quick charge?

Glain

You could use the max of both charge times. Higher than the average, lower than the sum (Unless the charge times are equal, where it's the same as the average).

Vanya

Quote from: Kaijyuu on October 14, 2011, 01:37:36 am
That opens the following abuse (feature?):

Use a long CT, powerful spell with something like Fire 1. Boom, your powerful spell's cast time is drastically lowered at the cost of a tiny amount of MP. Who needs quick charge?

That's kinda the point, though isn't it? Plus I wouldn't leave it like that either. Double Cast basically amounts to casting the spells in rapid succession to get them off in one round of combat. I think it would be logical that this should incur a penalty to the power and/or accuracy of each of the spells. It may also be a good idea to make the penalty based on the caster's MA that way having a Black Mage using Dual Cast won't turn them into a magical juggernaut.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Choto

I'm fairly sure people have thought of this before, and not knowing how the ASM works I have no idea if its plausible or not but:

Could you call whatever routine loads a spellcast twice in one turn? That way both charge times would be tracked seperately and retain their mp costs, you just get to start charging them at the the same time. There would exist the natural penalty of the original mp cost. Again I have no clue if it would work, but maybe theres some way to have the first spell picked not cancel the act phase while disabling any commands other than magic skillsets.

Kaijyuu

October 14, 2011, 04:53:17 pm #16 Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:58:10 pm by Kaijyuu
Hrm, penalizing the power/accuracy would work, but would be a bit clunky in my eyes.

Having it add together the charge time is superior to me because it makes sense, requires no additional penalties, and encourages usage of a wide variety of CT spells depending on the situation. Sometimes you'll have time for two flares, sometimes only two fire 1's. Anything that encourages use of lower ranked spells is good in my eyes (well, outside of high speed units fucking things up and making high CT spells irrelevant because they always take a full turn or more to go off).

Trying to think of a mathematical formula to do that is making my head spin a bit though, heh. Darn CT system.

@Choto
That'd be pretty neat, actually, but I think it'd be overpowered without any drawbacks. A support ability (or secondary action, I suppose) giving you a full 100% boost to your effectiveness makes for a ridiculously powerful ability. Two swords had this problem in vanilla for any class that was attack spamming; nothing else remotely compares.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

There's no need to penalize anything - where do you think the cost in MP Cost comes from?  That alone should be sufficient for a double cast ability.  More important is making double cast work like the other meta-ability skillset (Calculate).

RavenOfRazgriz

Pay the sum MP, wait the sum CT.

You're getting two Actions for the price of one as it stands, anyone who understands tempo should get how huge this alone is.  If anything, even like this, it's probably busted-ish.

RandMuadDib

to bring it under control have it not be allowed to follow target, even if the original spells can. that should make it so you can't 1hko everything with double fire 4.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!