• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 04:22:22 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Quick list of changeable sprites?

Started by Timbo, October 05, 2011, 09:03:28 am

Timbo

I'm working on my patch again. I've decided to add one special character and three generics to the game. The only thing I didn't really think about is where I'm going to put all 7 of these sprites. Is there a quick list of sprites that can be replaced. Is there room for 7 more sprites?
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Timbo

Zozma

October 06, 2011, 08:17:50 pm #1 Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 08:29:19 pm by Zozma
ok so... there is PLENTY of space to add in new sprites, what your biggest challenge will be (IF) they are all supposed to be recruitable in addition to all the characters that are normally available will be the menu sprites/portraits...

now then, about that. there are a few unused menu sprites inlcuding Olan, Simon, and Balmafula who are never used:

Pigtailed girl in blue and gold skirt (Teta is linked to this)
unused priest (Dead Malak is linked to this)
young male priest (the final version of Alma is linked to this)

this is 6 right here but you said one special, and the rest generis, so you really don't need all of this info for generics or are you saying in all your adding 7 new sprites?

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Timbo

I plan to add 3 generics as RAD jobs; a version of the Dark Knight, an Onion Knight, and a Red Mage. All 3 of these jobs need to have male and female sprites and portraits for world map menu, battle, battle formation, and anything else that a full on generic would need. They are going to be RAD jobs so I won't be cutting any of the existing generic sprites to add them, so I think I'll have to squeeze them in. Then I'm hoping I can snag the Marche event from 1.3 so I can add him as a special character complete with dialogue.

Note: the only thing in common between my Dark Knight and WoTL is the sprite. I'm even calling him a Blackguard.

Timbo

So is that it. Six spots for recruitable sprites?

Zozma

well there is something else u can do to free up more unit.bin sprites

make all of your guests NEVER appear in the menu, only in the event battles themselves...
example: with Algus, whos almost just a plain old squire anyway, you could then use this for a special RAD job and have a menu sprite for it that isn't algus

this of course is if you have no intention of a character like such joining.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!