• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 10:19:22 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Question on repurposing the Math Skills (CT, Level, etc.)

Started by Mysfit, September 25, 2011, 12:42:55 am

Mysfit

Hi. I'm extremely new to the idea of modding FFT. My experience extends only as far as having just managed to apply some custom skins to a PSX ISO. I got hold of FFT Patcher 0.478 and have been reading through the documentation and the wiki on it, as well as whatever forum topics I could find that were relevant to certain questions that arose.

I'm still only just throwing around ideas about a patch idea I have in mind, so I haven't taken the opportunity to actually test anything. The question I have is if there's anything anyone can direct me to that can allow me to use the sort of multiple menu functionality of the commands in the Calculator skill set like CT and the "Multiple of" commands, but repurpose them as something other than a targeting mechanism. The idea I had in mind was for each selection to modify the final command selected.

So something like:

First choice: Add Status Effect (Where CT and skills like it would be)
[First choice pulls up second menu]
Second choice: Add some other Status Effect (Where a "Multiple of" would be)
[Pulls up list of applicable skills]
Final selected skill activates within it's assigned range and additionally attempts to apply the modifications selected previously

I'm assuming that the Calculator skills (CT, Level, Height, etc.) are somehow coded to allow for the multiple menus rather than the skills in question simply being in the Calculator set, hence the details of my question. Any information from those familiar with modifying abilities would be greatly appreciated.
  • Modding version: PSX

pokeytax

This is too hard for us right now. Repurposing Math Skill has proven difficult. In general, it's easier to fiddle with what a skill does than alter the menu structure.

Mysfit

Good to know. I'll just have to rethink my idea. Thanks for the reply.  :)