• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 03:31:39 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

WotL with Vanilla names?

Started by Eternal248, June 30, 2011, 07:01:10 am

Eternal

Just curious- what do you guys think about WotL's script, but using Vanilla names?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Dome

What do you mean with "Vanilla names"?
The normal FFT PSX version with only the script changed?

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Eternal

Yeah. i.e, using WotL's script, but with location and character names remaining the same as their Vanilla counterparts. So it'd stay Algus instead of Argath, for example.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Dome

June 30, 2011, 07:44:59 am #3 Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 07:45:50 am by Dome
Quote from: Eternal248 on June 30, 2011, 07:12:10 am
Yeah. i.e, using WotL's script, but with location and character names remaining the same as their Vanilla counterparts. So it'd stay Algus instead of Argath, for example.

As long as ability/skillset/skill/equipment/character...etc names stays the same (So..only the script is changed) I'm fine
But...whay are you asking? Do you plan to implement the WOTL script in PW?

Eternal

Not particularly. It was just a random thought I had since people who complain about WotL mostly complain about the new names for things, rather than the dialogue itself.

Dome

Quote from: Eternal248 on June 30, 2011, 07:48:44 am
Not particularly. It was just a random thought I had since people who complain about WotL mostly complain about the new names for things, rather than the dialogue itself.

Mainly because, after the first time, everyone skips the dialogues (At least this is what I do)

Kaijyuu

I'd prefer the PSX script with all the typos and engrish fixed.

The WotL script is more accurate to the original, but the ye olde english and lack of some awesome lines makes me not like it so much.
  • Modding version: PSX

GeneralStrife

Yeaaah. I like 'teta' better than tietra. Argath sounds gay too.

Dome

Quote from: GeneralStrife on June 30, 2011, 03:26:19 pm
Yeaaah. I like 'teta' better than tietra. Argath sounds gay too.

Algus/Argath is gay no matter what

RandMuadDib

I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

MagiusRerecros

Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

Fenrir90

July 01, 2011, 01:02:50 pm #11 Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:04:06 pm by Fenrir90
Quote from: Kaijyuu on June 30, 2011, 08:28:24 am
I'd prefer the PSX script with all the typos and engrish fixed.

The WotL script is more accurate to the original, but the ye olde english and lack of some awesome lines makes me not like it so much.

I've made a personal patch for myself which takes the best of the three FFT (Japanese), FFT (US) and FFT WotL and merge them all into one. Many changes includes nearly all the WotL ability names (Fire, Fira, etc) except for a few (Cheep Up is now Encourage (Jpn version), where the hell did they get Steel from!? WTF?), equipment (Weapon, Armor, etc). Generic Quotes have been put back in, modified from the old English to FFT/Modern English. Blade Grasp to Shirahadori, Oracle to Onmyoshi just to name a few that I remember. All character names/Town names are PSX version.

I took a few liberties with a few names in particuliar. Ramza's Shout, I change the name to War Cry. There could be others, but I don't remember. Haven't touch it in months. Ah, remembered another one, Holy Sword to Seiken.

Balmafula now has a full skillset (for hacking purposes - she has a full working sprite, so why not), jobs like Duke, etc. They can now learn Counter Tackle, Equip Axes, Beastmaster, JP Boost and Move +1 (for hacking purposes), but they do not have any battle skills/abilities associated with them (possess no skillsets).

Midgard Swarm now has a summon animation on it and requires MP to use, Aegis and Dispelna (Holy Magic) are now spells (spell casting animation) and have quotes. Beowulf's quote are enable. There were some dummied out skillsets, they now have skillset names and description on them. Of course, you can only get and see them thru hacking/gamesharking them into the game.

I've run into a little obstacle along the way. I can extrant the script from the rom, but I can't insert it back in with the very same editor. The editor keeps giving me the same error over and over again. I've tried it even with an unmodified script along with an unmodified rom even and still got the same error. Since the editor is uncooporative with me, I simply just stop trying. So the progress has come to a stop unfortunately... :(

The remaning stuff that needs to be done: Revise and fix all errors in the PSX script (Engrish).

Specific scene and parts of story that I planned on changing: Changing all mention of Funeral's title from High Priest to Pope (Jpn version, his job is Pope - Makes sense if you think about it), change Holy Knight to Arc Knight (Delita and Goltana scene before the later is killed, Goltana says that Delita will become a Holy Knight after the events. But how can a Holy Knight become a Holy Knight?). Plus the fact, "King" Delita's job is Arc Knight after said event. Change Death Corp Priest to White Mage (Thief Fort scene).

Things that can be done easily by me with FFTactext, but haven't done it yet: Priest/Wizard to White Mage/Black Mage, High Priest to Pope. Correct Engrish on the World History part (Biography, Scene Recall, etc) - Treasure and Legendary Lands are finish (WofL version minus the old English). Description of items, abilities, jobs haven't been done. But I don't see anything wrong with the PSX version description, but would need to be revised for errors and stuff. Found a few errors like double spacing in a few and mispelled words here and there.

If I could get that damn editor to work, I would of shared it with you. And here I though I was the only one who prefer the PSX script.

But yeah, not much of a fan of the Old English in the WotL script.

Eternal

I prefer the WotL script, but a few of the WotL names are... weird. I mostly just wanted to see what peoples' opinions on the matter are. You might want to ask Xif about your event issues- she may be able to help.