• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 08:01:39 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFTPatcher needs some lurve

Started by Pickle Girl Fanboy, June 27, 2011, 05:05:31 pm

RandMuadDib

Quote from: MagiusRerecros on July 06, 2011, 04:41:11 pm
Again, you're assuming that people are demanding that others stop what they're doing right now and get this done. This isn't "omg we need this right now, so if you don't stop your current projects and update this now we're going to kill your family", this is "hey, if someone has some free time and knows how to do this, it'd be really cool if you'd be willing to get this done."

Sure, but it sounds like everyone with the knowhow is already working on something else (its relative importance notwithstanding, as its a matter of opinion) and anyone who does have the time doesnt know how. Like Cheetah said, its a moot point.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

MagiusRerecros

And if that's the case, that's the case. It just annoys me that so many people seem to be making this out to be some kind of demand that has to be done right here and now.
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: MagiusRerecros on July 06, 2011, 11:57:30 pm
And if that's the case, that's the case. It just annoys me that so many people seem to be making this out to be some kind of demand that has to be done right here and now.

I make it out that way because some of the people who have the skill to actually do these things will see it that way, and aren't the best at prioritizing.  (I can think of 3 people who fit this off the top of my head.)  If someone doesn't point out they should focus on more useful things first, they won't, and we'll be left even longer without progress.  And I'm tired of the stagnation on our tools and our overall progress.  Really quite sick of it, to be frank.  My Spreadsheet Shoppe is the result of the hate I'd begun harboring for the stagnation in tools this site's been under, since when you want something done right, sometimes you just gotta do it yourself.

MagiusRerecros

Well, I suppose that's a fair point. I guess maybe we should make an effort to point out that certain things that we may want, like a more encompassing patcher, are not as useful as other things that should take priority. Perhaps some of us who have been advocating this particular project should have been more understanding of that particular point of view, and I apologize for that. Projects that have already been started, such as various asm hacks (for example, fdc's formula hack; I'm very much looking forward to seeing that completed), or projects that will see a greater amount of use (a more user-friendly, comprehensive event editor, or perhaps a nice map editor or something) should see a greater emphasis then something like this. I mean, again, seeing patcher updated to a spreadsheet, and expanded to include recent hacks would be handy, but it's not essential. New things should be the main focus point, this is more of a side-project for someone to work on if they get frustrated with a current project or they're particularly bored.
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

Glain

Before I weigh in... have the Linux people tried running any of the .NET apps like FFTPatcher in wine? It might get around the problem. I do have a Linux setup I could test some of this on, but a lot of it is just seeing what other people have done...

If not, .NET might be pigeonholing us a bit into Windows. Can't say I agree about spreadsheets being more useful than apps.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Eternal

From what I've used of the various spreadsheets, they're incredibly easy to use. The thing the Patcher really has over them is instant patching, as opposed to needing to use orgASM, as well as a slightly more user-friendly GUI. But really, that takes a minute tops and even without the Patcher's GUI, the spreadsheets are still incredibly easy to understand.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Quote from: Glain on July 07, 2011, 09:30:21 am
Before I weigh in... have the Linux people tried running any of the .NET apps like FFTPatcher in wine? It might get around the problem. I do have a Linux setup I could test some of this on, but a lot of it is just seeing what other people have done...

If not, .NET might be pigeonholing us a bit into Windows. Can't say I agree about spreadsheets being more useful than apps.

FFTPatcher might be a little slow in Wine, but if you could tell me exactly what I DLLs I need to copy to my Wine folder, that would be cool.

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

October 15, 2011, 11:08:49 pm #47 Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:18:35 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Quote from: Cheetah on July 06, 2011, 02:59:08 am
Has anyone yet mentioned the fact that we have a freaking amazing map editor that essentially goes unused?

Where is this map editor that Cheetor speaks of?  I've been cruising through all the hacking posts with the word "map" in them courtesy of the search function, and the only ones that come close are some SentinelBlade topics with broken links.  Can anyone help me locate this?

Cheetah

Current Projects:

Kuraudo Sutoraifu