• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Question on sprite editing...

Started by thisisstupid999, June 02, 2011, 11:11:04 pm

thisisstupid999

I like the whole idea of it, but it bugs me how the sprite never shows up differently in the party roster and pre-game battle formation setup, and if these don't work, then somehow I doubt that they will be different in cutscenes. They only seem to work during battle, yet I see people's videos all the time where it shows up with the patched sprite in all of those things. What am I doing wrong?

MagiusRerecros

They do show up during cutscenes, because that loads the in-battle sprites. To get the special sprites into the formation screen, you have to import the front-left facing frame of the sprite into unit.bin (using CDMage to get unit.bin out of the iso, using FFTEVGRP to replace the originals, and then using CDMage to put unit.bin back into the iso), and the portrait into wrldface.bin. Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, there may also be hex-editing involved. For example, Zalbag does not have a sprite in unit.bin, so his sprite automatically points to chapter 1 Ramza in unit.bin. You can use hex editing to change that so it points to slot 08 in unit.bin, which never otherwise shows up, and then put Zalbag's front-left sprite into slot 08 using FFTEVGRP. But if you're just changing, say, squire (which DOES have a sprite in unit.bin), then there is no hex editing necessary.

Celdia wrote a pretty good tutorial for it here.
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

thisisstupid999

Alright, thanks man. I'll look into it. Just to make sure, this is possible with a PSP, correct?

MagiusRerecros

Should be... For the psp, though, getting/replacing unit.bin/wrldface.bin is a bit different. Instead of being able to rip them directly out of the iso, you have to rip fftpack.bin from the iso, and then use fftpatcher to extract the contents of fftpack.bin (I recommend putting these contents into a separate folder from anything else... there's quite a bit of stuff, including other folders). Then, you can use FFTEVGRP to modify unit.bin/wrldface.bin (which are in the EVENT folder in wherever you put the contents of fftpack.bin). After that, you rebuild fftpack.bin using fftpatcher, and then throw that back in the iso with cdmage.

I don't know if the whole hex editing thing works properly in the psp version; I mean, I'm sure it's possible to accomplish the same thing, but I wouldn't know how to do it. Somewhere around here, there's a list of locations and whatnot to modify to get new special characters to work properly in formation, but I don't know if the locations are the same in the psp version.
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.