• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 04:30:42 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Other games with WOTL-ish scripts?

Started by Gnomish, February 27, 2011, 04:31:56 pm

Gnomish

Can anyone name any other games (preferably from the 90s or early 2000s) that employ dialogue akin to that found in the WOTL translation? I am an English major of a Shakespearean bent and would love to try my hand at some other games that use that Early Modern English style of dialogue.

Thanks in advance! :)

LastingDawn

Hmm... I really think that Alexander O. Smith is a master of his craft, but... you may be able to find something of similar worth in Odin Sphere, which is a retelling and heavily altered version of the events of Ragnarok. It's an enjoyable game and a unique take on the side scrolling genre. In some ways it is like FFT by the way the story is presented. I suggest you give that game a look.

As for other Alexander O. Smith translations with that... I suggest the brand new Tactics Ogre which just sets the bar even higher in terms of translations (this one had Matsuno overseeing the entire translation process).

And the ever paramount Vagrant Story which put Alexander O. Smith on the map!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Eternal

To note, Odin Sphere has the same composer as FFT/FFXII. Crazy, eh?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Gnomish

March 01, 2011, 09:47:10 pm #3 Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:59:24 pm by Gnomish
Thank you for the input, both of you.

I have had my eye on the new Tactics Ogre for PSP, actually. I found it at the local mall the other day but was uneager to spend the $40 that the store was asking. (I've been out of the handheld loop for some time and have only had my PSP for a few months now, but $40 just seems so much for a mere handheld game.) Perhaps I should bite the bullet and splurge on it....

As for Vagrant Story, I really should give it a try. I've heard some people speak of it as the last glorious gasp of air from Square before it lost its touch with RPGs. A highly subjective statement, of course, but one that flatters the game nonetheless. I am a fan of Xenogears and the PS1-era Final Fantasies, so perhaps this game would be right up my alley.

Odin Sphere looks to be very interesting indeed. I glimpsed the trailer and one or two gameplay clips on YouTube, and it seems like a quirky mix between SaGa Frontier and a platformer like Castlevania. (Am I at least warm with that guess? Haha.) Of course, if you say it has the same composer as FFT, Eternal248, that is probably enough of a selling point for me to want to give it a chance. I am a composer myself, and oftentimes, the music makes the game for me--or at least it can salvage a bad one. :)

Eternal

Also, randomly, Vagrant Story is now on PSN (in the US) for $5.99.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817