• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 18, 2024, 01:22:27 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Just some small questions

Started by JamesOnyx, February 25, 2011, 04:42:04 am

JamesOnyx

So I was sitting down enjoying a nice snow day when I finally decided to try and get to know these modding tools I found on this site, since they were capable of editing my favorite video game of all time.  And after a bit of working I've been able to slightly edit things here and there.  Unfortunately in order to create a new ability for my messenger job class I had to write over a preexisting one (which was praise, which sucks since I love that ability to death but it is a little op inducing) and I was just wondering if there was any way to create new blank slots in the FFPatcher so I wouldn't have to do this every time or what other abilities can be replaced without too many problems.

Another question I had while working was if there was a way to get the job tree past 20 for the PSX version of the game.  The chart I found in the patcher has some open space where it seemed like you could add more if you could find a way.  The reason for this is because I was lucky the jobs I thought of could just be modified versions of the bard and dancer (a messenger and a shade maiden, I thought those were rather ingenious) and I'm pretty positive I won't think of something so basic next time so... yeah.  Either that or just what kind of special jobs can I edit without messing up too much storyline by replacing them (although I'd like to learn how to edit storyline in the future as well). 

Just a newb of the noobs looking for some feedback.

Oh yeah, and this is my first post here so... hello ffhacktics community. 

Eternal

Welcome to FFH! (Where your dreams may or may not come true.)

You can't create free slots to use, but there are already some free slots for you to use. The slots right above Item, I think it is, are free for use. Just don't use the one directly above Potion.

As for extending the job tree, it's not doable to my knowledge. You can edit the job levels needed for each job, but you can't extend the tree itself. As for editing special jobs, that's entirely up to you. You can make them whatever you'd like. Replacing their spritesets will cause the special characters too look different, however.

(Hope that made sense, I'm only half awake.) >_>
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

JamesOnyx

I'm pretty much half asleep myself, but I usually can't get past that stage.  I'm always tired yet can never actually fall asleep.

Anyways, thanks for the reply.  Sad to know that I can't make more jobs accessible to my normal units, but I guess those are the limitations I get when working with a game that was on ps1 (and that I'm not actually programming the whole chalupa).  And the whole creating custom characters seems nice but it's just that I don't fancy myself as a spriter.  Basically what I did for my personalized pic is the extent of my abilities.  I've been trying to work on a dragon for one of my friends projects and it's taken me about 5-6 hours and I haven't even gotten through 1/6 of the first panel xD.  So yeah... I'll probably make an attempt in the future but that's probably in the far distance. 

Another small question.  For the ENTD enemy levels, does Party level - Random stand for the party level minus a random value or it's just randomly around the party level? 

Eternal

I'm pretty sure it's just randomly around the party level, as opposed to Party Level or Party Level +X which are firm values.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

philsov

Howdy!

QuoteEither that or just what kind of special jobs can I edit without messing up too much storyline by replacing them (although I'd like to learn how to edit storyline in the future as well). 

Arc Witch (Balmafula), Arc Duke (Barinten), high priest (Marge Funeral) and... holy Priest(?) (Whatever Simon is) are the top contenders because they don't have any battle roles in the storyline.  So... you can edit these jobs and go to town with them.  Just make sure to keep their sprites around in some fashion, and then force set them to that sprite in the ENTD.  There's likely a few other classes that are similar (like you can merge the assassins, and malaks, and such) and can be compressed as well. 
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

JamesOnyx

Thanks for the info, I'll be looking into those shortly since I came up with a couple of new idea's to try and test (Dream Sages and Sentinels, there going to be epic).  I found it somewhat weird when I learned that there were two different jobs for Malak, I was wondering why that was.

And I'm sorry but I've come across another question that I'm finding somewhat difficult to figure out by myself.  Is it essentially possible to make a character like Rad, a set character who isn't special have a special job instead of squire?  I'm trying to see how the characters are set to have certain first jobs but I'm not finding it.