• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 23, 2024, 04:49:02 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Is it possible to make a specific unit unable to change job?

Started by toast, November 16, 2010, 12:02:21 am

toast

Basically, I'd like to make a unit that can change equipment and abilities and has a gender-appropriate death cry, but cannot change jobs. Is such a thing possible?

Mari

I think ASM is the only way for that one. Unless there is something I missed in the patcher...
Buuuttt..
It doesn't seem like the ASM for it would be too hard, actually.

I haven't looked into this stuff with FFT yet, though so I'm still ignorant to what's what in ASMing FFT.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
As the puppeteer pulls His strings,
The fragile doll spreads Her wings.
To dance a ballet as He directs
That is the Curse of the Marionette.

Controlled by a hand far, far above,
Forbidden to care, forbidden to love.
Forever shall She mime what She cannot know,
Until the day She loses her illusory glow.

Propped up on a stilt where wine once stood,
The Marionette is, once more, only wood.
Her glossy eyes have lost their shine,
Her silken hair, turned to twine.

What a fate awaits the poor little doll,
Who dances and runs but cannot stand at all.
And the puppeteer is applauded at the end of every show,
But the audience's joyous response the doll can never know.

I am but a doll on an endless stage,
Dancing for others whilst I slowly age.
My puppeteer sits far above,
Hiding His face behind a white glove.

And when I have aged to nothing but wood,
I will be tucked away in a closet where a doll once stood.
Then, as I gather dust and the world passes by,
I will be forgotten by the vast, blue sky.

fluke84

The only way I can think of doing this in patcher is if none of your starting jobs (sq, ch) unlock till job lv.2 or 3 at minimum. That way you can preset the generics to their jobs, but the other job that you preset to the non-changing unit sticks because he hasn't unlocked the base jobs. At work right now so I can't test it, but in theory it should work...
  • Modding version: PSX
I'm back...

toast

Got it. I used a monster job for that unit (specifically Byblos) and flagged it as a male unit instead of a monster unit on the fight that unit joins in in the ETND tab.

Only problem is that equipment and abilities are locked, but I'll take what I can get. It's a late-game unit anyway, so I'll just give it some high-tier equipment and make it's abilities innates. That should make things so that it's not a problem.

Zozma

You don't have to use a monster job for this, for example, the undead jobs like job 46 undead oracle, you can take those and use them as you wish. they can be set to human, but their jobs are locked. note tho that all of their skills will be auto learned and the only way to change their equips would be if they have innate "equip change" available to them. it will show other jobs appear in their job list, however there is no way to change to them or set secondary skillsets.

it works the same way for byblos or the ultima demons, which are sort of like weird half human types as far as the way they appear stats wise. innate equip change and checking the appropriate equipable items for that character and you're good..
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!