• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 04, 2024, 11:56:53 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Lost lol.

Started by Destrix, November 15, 2010, 05:04:54 pm

Destrix

Hey there. im sorta lost on everything being said here. is there any guide or way for me to understand everything easier?

Mari

Could you be a little more specific as to what you're having problems with?
What you can/can't do, etc.
Where you run into a problem..
All that junk.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
As the puppeteer pulls His strings,
The fragile doll spreads Her wings.
To dance a ballet as He directs
That is the Curse of the Marionette.

Controlled by a hand far, far above,
Forbidden to care, forbidden to love.
Forever shall She mime what She cannot know,
Until the day She loses her illusory glow.

Propped up on a stilt where wine once stood,
The Marionette is, once more, only wood.
Her glossy eyes have lost their shine,
Her silken hair, turned to twine.

What a fate awaits the poor little doll,
Who dances and runs but cannot stand at all.
And the puppeteer is applauded at the end of every show,
But the audience's joyous response the doll can never know.

I am but a doll on an endless stage,
Dancing for others whilst I slowly age.
My puppeteer sits far above,
Hiding His face behind a white glove.

And when I have aged to nothing but wood,
I will be tucked away in a closet where a doll once stood.
Then, as I gather dust and the world passes by,
I will be forgotten by the vast, blue sky.

Destrix

Well im like very noob to hacking. im like dunce at hexing the game to play a story i want it to play. and like some of the technical terms i have no clue wth they mean.

for example. what ASM means.

whats a ppf.

err and then when changing the names or a sprite of a unit.  

err well lets say i want to change `Knight` to `Runic Knight`, which ones do i choose. (theres like 4 or different different names for each.)

and also about the spell effects.

like in this thread.

http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtop ... 38#p106838 .

How exactly do you go through half of this stuff (yes im a noob but asking is more about learning :P) .

I would like to create a final fantasy tactic like game that i always wanted to.

I would like to learn to create storyline events and such. :S

philsov

Quotefor example. what ASM means.

It's an assembly language used to code the game.  Basically 'hard' hacking.

Quotewhats a ppf.

A data file of differences... more or less a patch.  A ppf is made from the program ppf studio.  You tell it to compare your original game to your patched game, and it creates a ppf file which has all the changed values.  This enables you to share patches with a light bandwidth and not running into copyright issues.

Quoteerr and then when changing the names or a sprite of a unit.

err well lets say i want to change `Knight` to `Runic Knight`, which ones do i choose. (theres like 4 or different different names for each.)

FFTactext Utility, part of the FFTPatcher bundle, which is the bread and butter of hackings around here.  Download that from the main page and open it up :)  Tactext modifies most gameplay text, ffpatcher does most gameplay, and shishi allows for sprite swapping.

Quoteand also about the spell effects.

like in this thread.

viewtop ... 38#p106838 .

The "Effect" option when modifying an ability in FFTPatcher

QuoteHow exactly do you go through half of this stuff (yes im a noob but asking is more about learning ) .

A lot of trial and error, but really these programs are rather intuitive once you actually open them up.

QuoteI would like to learn to create storyline events and such. :S

Event Compiler and Decompiler.  There's a list of instructions on the front page and coupled with the readme included it should make a lot of sense.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Destrix

Quoteerr and then when changing the names or a sprite of a unit.

FFTactext Utility, part of the FFTPatcher bundle, which is the bread and butter of hackings around here. Download that from the main page and open it up :) Tactext modifies most gameplay text, ffpatcher does most gameplay, and shishi allows for sprite swapping.

but what about the different knights names? do i change every knight into runic knight?

philsov

...tch.  It seems the latest bundle only has a patcher readme -_-

After importing your iso for editing, go text -> quick edit.  This'll apply a single text change into the 4 or so different locations that require it.

Destrix

I have 2 questions.
(this might be part of the hard coding)

How come when i change the skills for geomancer, i cant use the skills for them? same for mime.

philsov

bingo x2.

The geomancer deal is actually fixable with hex editing:

0x000E9378 :
FFFFFFFFFFFF05FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF050505FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF05FFFFFF0505FF05FFFF05FF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
1500013C
2108E100
FF000334
DC040508
0x000DA36C :
Generic Skillset ability fix.
It should be noted that by default, this hack has every "buggy" skillsets set as 05. This makes the said skillset to copy the functions of skillset 0x05, which is basic skill, a perfectly normal skillset. Else, if the value is 0xFF, the skillset type will remain unchanged. The table reads the original values, so you don't have to worry if you make skillset 0x05 copy 0x06 and vice-versa at the same time.
For example if you want to turn jump (Skillset 0x12) into a normal skillset, you have to make it <default> in the "Action Menus" tab of FFTPatcher, and change the value in the hack's table to 0x05, or anything linking to a normal skillset.
0x000E9378 + 0x12 = 0x000E938A
Like I said, by default all those type of skillsets are set to normal skillsets, so make sure you edit properly before yelling at me.

As per viewtopic.php?f=8&t=953

On a side note, Geomancy ablities can take in some formula no problem, but without this hack they're still ultimately controlled by terrain placement.  And, no, I don't know what works within Elemental and what does, I just know that [(PA + X) * PA/2] and [(MA + X) * MA/2] do work as well.

Mime... is a bit trickier and isn't cracked at this time.

ffta707

QuoteIt's an assembly language used to code the game. Basically 'hard' hacking.

Very hard. And takes A LOT of practice (or labor).

Destrix

Is there a  crash course guide in thiS? Like a guide for Dummies.

philsov

QuoteVery hard. And takes A LOT of practice (or labor).

Well, I meant hard as in "not soft".  A lot of what we do is just variable switching.

Anyways: http://ffhacktics.com/tutorials.php

ffta707

Quote from: "philsov"
QuoteVery hard. And takes A LOT of practice (or labor).

Well, I meant hard as in "not soft".  A lot of what we do is just variable switching.

Anyways: http://ffhacktics.com/tutorials.php

Lol. I know, I was just emphasizing it. ;)

Destrix

What happened to the info on the wiki? i was using it o.0.  

Also still no luck on finding the mime job?

LastingDawn

You mean its not there anymore...? I had thought Mime was cracked by this point? With the Generic Skillset fix?
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

FFMaster

All classes except Mime unfortunately.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Destrix

ok i was wrong about the wiki. its just if you have it bookmarked on firefox you get a blank screen. :S eh.  so mime is a no no :s.    OK!!! now onto my next questions :P  

1.when it comes to editing sprites/creating your own. you use : Graphics Gale, and MS paint only?

2,when you extend an iso (which i need to learn along with how to use a ppf file) is there a way to add in a map and have the "route" labeld on the world map?

Kill_Bones

1. Some people use photoshop. Just use the one that you like best. I used GraphicsGale and it was pretty good.

Full credit to Mayhem over at RPGuild for my sig

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."  

-Abraham Lincoln

Quote from: Dome on February 19, 2011, 04:36:46 am
Sorry Eternal, I don't have balls....

Destrix

Destrix

Does Anyone know a good "easy to learn" custom sprite making guide?

Jon

I don't think that exists yet...I could be wrong though. The easiest thing to do is recolor a sprite or just use one of the existing ones from here:
http://ffhacktics.com/sprites.php
Once you found a sprite, follow the tutorial I wrote to get it to work quick and easy in the game:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=5868
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!