• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Amici's sprites

Started by Amici, October 27, 2010, 10:58:08 am

Jon

I'll be harsh: Good sprite, bad portrait attempt. Let someone else do the portrait, yours is just down right horrible. I really like how the sprite is coming out! Very nice :mrgreen: Keep it up!
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Kagebunji

Quote from: "Jon"I'll be harsh: Good sprite, bad portrait attempt.
Not harsh, cause this was already said....
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Amici

Thanks for the feedback guys! Haven't been doing much work on this sprite the past few days, feel like I need to take a break on it to get a fresh look when I try to adjust the arms. All the monotonous work was taking its toll on me :D

Kagebunji

Yeah, don't give up now. Try the arms, and I agree with Cheetah and others that you should try to cut the tails off. It can't possibly be that hard. IIRC, jon did the same with his Cannonner sprite, but by no means c/p it directly, cause it needs some fixing on shading.

Lijj

Here is that portrait finally:
___
                                                                    Or

___  

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Update:

___
  • Modding version: PSX

Amici

@Lijj: Oh wow, holy crap that's so cool! This is an awesome portrait :D Actually about the only critique I can give is that it makes Dante look too 'poetic,' instead of the cocky daredevil bad-ass that he is. But still, this is fantastic 8)  (Hopefully I can fix the arms before then lol)

Kagebunji

Hm, you should make the lowest part if his neck lighter, it's too dark ATM. Also, angry eyes are a must on this port. Overall hair looks good, but when compared to other FFT portraits, it might look weird. What you used as a base? His face shape seems soo similiar somehow.

Lijj

Lighter neck and more downward eyebrows:
___

I just used my own artistic experience as a base for the hair. Face shape is based off of male Archer's.
16-color BMP attached.

Amici

I'm liking how the hair looks, make him look different from the other characters somehow (not in a bad way though), but yup, it kinda needs to be 'angrier' as Kagebunji said, to be perfect. But the updates are looking better and better :)

Lijj

___
Angrier eyes. Merry Christmas

Lijj

Wait missing 1 px, here:
___

Izirudo

Hmm, IMO you should make him smirk a little... that's to show the cunning side of him ;). Overall it looks great.

Amici

It's looking better and better, but yeah a smirk should do Dante justice, although a non-smirk version should also be good :) I've taken a look at the arms, and I have to ask if the arms too big issue exists during walking animations, or if it's only on that third pose? Because if it only exists on that pose then maybe I wouldn't need to overhaul the arms, not too much at least. Has anyone actually tried it out on Shishi yet?

As for the coattails, I'm looking at the Cannoneer sprite right now, and will probably do a straight c/p of the back later to see how it'll look.

EDIT: Or I can make a sample walking animation GIF...if I knew how to do one. How do you do that like in Lijj's thread where he can display the walking animation with a GIF?

Kagebunji

Quote from: "Amici"As for the coattails, I'm looking at the Cannoneer sprite right now, and will probably do a straight c/p of the back later to see how it'll look.

Quote from: "Kagebunji"IIRC, jon did the same with his Cannonner sprite, but by no means c/p it directly, cause it needs some fixing on shading.

GeneralStrife

jon lives on in his shaded wrong sprite : P

Lijj

A smirk would look more like a big goofy grin; you should know, I never do smiles on my portraits anyhow( I hate smiles on fft ports!).  But if you edit his mouth I wont be mad or anything.. i just think it'll end up looking a little insane.
Amici if you want to make gifs I completely support you; the best way to judge any sprite is by its walking frames (:
Here is a quick tutorial I made: http://ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=406, there are other ways to do it ( macros etc.) but this is simple enough. Takes me about 1 minute to do 1 view.
See Concise GIF Making tutorial.

Amici

@Kagebunji: Yeah I got what you said about the shading, but being the amateur shader that I am I'd rather c/p it directly first then show it to you guys after I do the changes :)

@Lijj: I'll stick with your version of the portrait for now, thanks so much Lijj! Now I can finally submit the sprite! (pending a few adjustments of course). I'll be doing an animated GIF in a bit once I finish fixing some newly discovered oddities in his walking animation =P

Amici

I've been gone a long while folks =P Needed a break from all the monotonous sprite work lol. Finally got around to fixing the arms and coattails. Here are the results :D

[attachment=1:wdvvaza9]dantecapture3.PNG[/attachment:wdvvaza9]

Any comments?

Twinees

A very nice sprite Amici, the sprite sheet looks completely done to me. Im looking forward to test this out.
From the walking frames, there's only one thing that seems a bit odd, (front walking) his left arm seems to dislodge from his socket when furthest back (though this may not be noticed if the sprite was moving at its ingame speed). Fix this, and submit it :)

Amici

@twinees: Thanks! Which arm are you talking about? The arm in front? I dunno, will try to fix it up a bit, although the pixels are copied from Mediator's arms so I haven't really done any manual editing on the shoulder part. Will see how it goes :)