• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Permission to use Sprites from FFHacktics

Started by thechancellor, October 20, 2010, 06:01:31 pm

thechancellor

Quote from: "MiKeMiTchi"I know a lot about RMVX, and just PM me if you need some assistance. :)
Also... I doubt you'd be using the sprites we have here, because the sprites doesn't really fits with vx.

Well, that depends on how they're used. All my battle scenes will contain characters and enemies ripped from FFT, so uniformity won't be an issue. And as far as colors go, it would just be a matter of boosting the saturation of the sprites. I've already tested the sprites in-game and they look fine.

Quote from: "ffta707"They can, they just look giant.

Not even. In fact, the default height and width of the sprites are nearly the same as the default sprites in RMVX. If anything, FFT sprites look smaller because of RMVX's big-headed sprites.

Everything will be fine. My only problem is that I'm a horrible spriter, so my resources are limited to whatever is posted on the site.
Don't really have anything witty or interesting to put here...

Jon

Download the Shishi sprite editor and get some more sprites from the game itself if you need more sprites. I am simply amazed that you even asked for permission to begin with, most people take and use. Period. No recognition or credit whatsoever to the spriters ;_;
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

thechancellor

Quote from: "Jon"Download the Shishi sprite editor and get some more sprites from the game itself if you need more sprites. I am simply amazed that you even asked for permission to begin with, most people take and use. Period. No recognition or credit whatsoever to the spriters ;_;

I'd rather keep from using the original sprites. Custom would be best, and slightly edited would be fine too. As for original sprites, I'm a little worried people would look down on that. I know whenever I've seen or played games that features identical sprites from commercial games, it was hard to take the character seriously. Imagine someone making a game outside of the FF series where Cloud was used as a sprite for the main character? Pretty corny if you ask me.

Also, I have every intention on giving credit to each individual spriter on the forum, as indicated by the custom sprites page on the site.

Speaking of the game... Progress has gone great so far. I won't be incorporating very many features/systems because there is a deadline for the contest. My main focus will be on both presentation and storyline. The game itself will be very short. I'm hoping for an 8-10 hour playthrough, excluding side quests.

Also, if anyone is willing to help out with the creation of a couple of sprites (just headswaps), please let me know. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

ffta707

Quote from: "thechancellor"
Quote from: "Jon"Download the Shishi sprite editor and get some more sprites from the game itself if you need more sprites. I am simply amazed that you even asked for permission to begin with, most people take and use. Period. No recognition or credit whatsoever to the spriters ;_;

I'd rather keep from using the original sprites. Custom would be best, and slightly edited would be fine too. As for original sprites, I'm a little worried people would look down on that. I know whenever I've seen or played games that features identical sprites from commercial games, it was hard to take the character seriously. Imagine someone making a game outside of the FF series where Cloud was used as a sprite for the main character? Pretty corny if you ask me.

Also, I have every intention on giving credit to each individual spriter on the forum, as indicated by the custom sprites page on the site.

Speaking of the game... Progress has gone great so far. I won't be incorporating very many features/systems because there is a deadline for the contest. My main focus will be on both presentation and storyline. The game itself will be very short. I'm hoping for an 8-10 hour playthrough, excluding side quests.

Also, if anyone is willing to help out with the creation of a couple of sprites (just headswaps), please let me know. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I would help. To bad I can't sprite for my life, haha.

Archael

October 31, 2010, 05:59:24 pm #24 Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:41:18 pm by Archael
Quote from: "thechancellor"Also, if anyone is willing to help out with the creation of a couple of sprites (just headswaps), please let me know. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

if that's how you feel, I strongly suggest learning how to sprite yourself and developing a unique style for your game

if I played your custom game and saw custom FFH sprites on it, I'd take it as much of a joke as if you had used original FFT sprites, because I'm already aware of where those sprites come from

you're adopting FFT's sprite style on your game by using those sprites, so if your issue is that the game will look like FFT and it will remind people of FFT, there's no avoiding that unless you stop using sprites made FOR FFT (whether they are original, or custom)

corny!

ffta707

Quote from: "Voldemort"
Quote from: "thechancellor"Also, if anyone is willing to help out with the creation of a couple of sprites (just headswaps), please let me know. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

if that's how you feel, I strongly suggest learning how to sprite yourself

if I played your custom game and saw custom FFH sprites on it, I'd take it as much of a joke as if you had used original FFT sprites, because I'm already aware of where those sprites come from

you're adopting FFT's sprite style on your game by using those sprites, so if your issue is that the game will look like FFT and it will remind people of FFT, there's no avoiding that unless you stop using sprites made FOR FFT (whether they are original, or custom)

corny!

That's true.

Whether it is Tactics Org, Final Fantasy Tactics or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, everyone will know where the sprites came from anyways.

thechancellor

Quote from: "Voldemort"if that's how you feel, I strongly suggest learning how to sprite yourself and developing a unique style for your game

corny!

I get what you're saying, and I totally agree. But I didn't make my point clear, so let me clarify. I'm not afraid of my game having similarities to FFT, or any game for that matter. Copying a style isn't something that's looked down upon in the RPG Maker community, especially if you make some minor tweaks {i.e. Sprites from FFH, lol}. I meant to refer specifically to the characters and their personalities. Take movies for example. If you have an actor who is an established comedian, it's usually pretty hard to take him seriously as an actor in any other genre that isn't comedy. I was trying to relate it to Cloud because he's such a popular character amongst RPGs that it would be almost idiotic to replicate his image and use it for another personality.

Kill_Bones

Full credit to Mayhem over at RPGuild for my sig

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."  

-Abraham Lincoln

Quote from: Dome on February 19, 2011, 04:36:46 am
Sorry Eternal, I don't have balls....

ffta707

Quote from: "Kill_Bones"Like if Chuck Norris was in twilight.

Kind of, but If Chuck Norris was in any movie, I would like it.

VampragonLord

Quote from: "Kill_Bones"Like if Chuck Norris was in twilight.
it would make the movie a great movie.....
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Cheetah

Chuck Norris was in many movies though whether that is great or not is up for debate.
Current Projects:

Lijj

You can use mine if you do credit me (with large letters)
  • Modding version: PSX

Wolfran

Quote from: "Lijj"You can use mine if you do credit me (with large letters)
Agree
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...