• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 08:50:10 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

A total noob asks a lot of questions.

Started by DaveSW, October 19, 2010, 08:06:35 am

DaveSW

October 19, 2010, 08:06:35 am Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:52:19 am by DaveSW
Is this at all possible?  Essentially changing all formulas so that they would be something like: (Atk-Def) x Weapon power, or (Mag-Mdef) x Spell power.
Not only that, but set every reaction skill to always activate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, this is my first first post! I love FFT greatly, and always wanted to tinker with it.  I doubt I could make something better than vanilla FFT, but I still want to try.

Edit: Thanks for all the help.
I am awesome.

Mari

Anything is possible. But.. That would certainly be a hard one.
I'm not even sure how to do that one.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
As the puppeteer pulls His strings,
The fragile doll spreads Her wings.
To dance a ballet as He directs
That is the Curse of the Marionette.

Controlled by a hand far, far above,
Forbidden to care, forbidden to love.
Forever shall She mime what She cannot know,
Until the day She loses her illusory glow.

Propped up on a stilt where wine once stood,
The Marionette is, once more, only wood.
Her glossy eyes have lost their shine,
Her silken hair, turned to twine.

What a fate awaits the poor little doll,
Who dances and runs but cannot stand at all.
And the puppeteer is applauded at the end of every show,
But the audience's joyous response the doll can never know.

I am but a doll on an endless stage,
Dancing for others whilst I slowly age.
My puppeteer sits far above,
Hiding His face behind a white glove.

And when I have aged to nothing but wood,
I will be tucked away in a closet where a doll once stood.
Then, as I gather dust and the world passes by,
I will be forgotten by the vast, blue sky.

philsov

its possible if you're versed in ASM hacking, and atm the people around here who do know ASM have their own little pet projects.  

Otherwise, you at least have the option to do this:

- Implement the Brave to Fury hack found in FFTorgASM -- this treats Br to act like Fa.... a normal attack is Caster's Fury/100 * Recievers Fury/100 * WP * PA * some factor, for example - higher Br = more physical damage taken and more physical damage given

- Hex edit this hack:
Change reaction ability activation rate (v1). Note, this affects all reactive counter abilities.
BATTLE.BIN
0x12639C change 0x64 to 0xYY
The chance of a reaction to activate is (Br / YY).

Set YY to 01 and so long as someone isn't at 0 Br they'll have a 100% reaction rate.

Or:
Change the stat required to activate reactions (v1). Note, this affects all reactive counter abilities.
BATTLE.BIN
0x126398 change 0x24 to 0xYY
The list of what number corresponds to what stat is here: http://www.ffhacktics.com/wiki/Formula_Hacking.

Change their reaction rate to be tied to HP, CT, level, or any other parameter desired.

WELCOME TO FFH, WHERE ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

DaveSW

Thank you!

I guess I better get to learning about ASM hacking then.

Step 1: Figure out what ASM means...

I really do hope all my FFT dreams do come true, though I doubt some of them would be feasible, like giving every single story character a unique sprite for every job, or being able to have 10 units available in one fight, or to implement races, or any number of things that seem like they would need an entirely new game for.  Still, with everything that can be changed, I am excited to see what I can make!
I am awesome.

Jon

"like giving every single story character a unique sprite for every job"

All the special characters already have a unique sprite. Did you mean generics?
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

philsov

Step 1:
http://ffhacktics.com/tutorials.php?id=11
and/or:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1582&hilit=asm+tutorial

Quotebeing able to have 10 units available in one fight

1) The max loadable from the formation is 5 people, sadly.
2) The max number of total units for most maps is 16.  A handful of maps are 12, dunno the exact list
3) The max number of sprites per battle is 9.  This is unchangeable due to VRAM limitations.
4) You can, on a battle by battle basis, input additional friendly characters as controllable guests.  If you break the sprite limit they look very poor, though.  But they do ACT fine.

Quoteraces

You can do 2, mechnically.  Since dancer and bard (or, rather jobs 6A and 6B or wtfever they are) are hard-coded to male/female only, you can make them available initially and then set all further jobs to have either pre-req and thus divide the job tree in two.  

glhf
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

DaveSW

I meant that Ramza would have 20 different sprites, one for each job, and Delita would have 20 different sprites, and Agrias, etc.
I am awesome.

ffta707

Quote from: "DaveSW"I meant that Ramza would have 20 different sprites, one for each job, and Delita would have 20 different sprites, and Agrias, etc.

That would be an awesome hack. I have thought about it before, but the more I do, the less possible it sounds. It would probably need an extended ISO, but even then I would not know how to do it.

DaveSW

Yeah, I wanted to make a hack without any generics, and without any unique classes, but with every character still unique in other ways, maybe have skillsets unique to a character, not a class, in addition to the standard class based skillsets.
I am awesome.

ffta707

That gives me a cool idea. Not giving the main character to change sprites exactly, but semi - main characters. For instance, if you made a patch, you could have all generics be the same general person, which could be rad, since he has a set name anyways (Can be changed). And along with changing his name, make all generic sprites based off of his look. This would make all Male sprites be rad. This would cause other problems, because all of the ENTD's that contain generics would need fixing. Also, making a few jobs un usable to Rad, would allow different sprites for entd's and missions. It could be done for Alicia and Lavian to, but the soldier office would need to be disabled, which I believe can be done through ASM.

Jon

Its quite possible if you make a SCC patch, just give all the generics a Ramza-happiness head swap. There you go. But that would totally destroy the entire game because you couldn't fight humans anymore except "special" ones like Gafgarion.

Edit: Actually an awesome idea would be to make either Lavian or Alicia "special", and have Rad and the other girl just have a different portrait or something. Or maybe all of them should be special, but once they become that, their icon won't change no matter what job they become, sadly.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

ffta707

That's why you leave some of the jobs out, like the un editable ones, for the battles.

DaveSW

Ok, a few new questions, I didn't think I would need to create a new thread, so here goes:

What CAN be edited about a Mime? Can they be given inherent reaction and support abilities?  Does changing their stat growth and multipliers actually work?  What about giving them status/elemental immunities?  

Also, is it possible to turn all monsters into the monsters/human commands, like Worker 8 and Reis?

Oh, the charge skillset, does it really need it's own type of skillset, or would say, charge +4 still work just fine if I gave it to another 'normal' skillset, ie, not mathskill, item, jump, elemental, etc.

I saw that it was possible to change Defend into a complete skillset, so I was wondering, is it possible to turn Defend into Item, and give it as an inherent support skill to every class? Would that work as easily as I hope, would their be a ton of bugs that I would have to deal with?

I would test all this myself, but my current computer for whatever reason cannot run a PSX emulator. (I have 3 copies of the game, and none of them work)  :(
I am awesome.

ffta707

All I know about mime is that the skills can not be changed, or the equip weapons. Not sure about stats.

QuoteAlso, is it possible to turn all monsters into the monsters/human commands, like Worker 8 and Reis?

Not sure what you mean. XD

Pride

Quote from: "DaveSW"Ok, a few new questions, I didn't think I would need to create a new thread, so here goes:

What CAN be edited about a Mime? Can they be given inherent reaction and support abilities?  Does changing their stat growth and multipliers actually work?  What about giving them status/elemental immunities?

Yes to all of the above.

Quote from: "DaveSW"Also, is it possible to turn all monsters into the monsters/human commands, like Worker 8 and Reis?

Yes to this as well. You have to change their skill sets though to default rather then monster. I think.

Quote from: "DaveSW"Oh, the charge skillset, does it really need it's own type of skillset, or would say, charge +4 still work just fine if I gave it to another 'normal' skillset, ie, not mathskill, item, jump, elemental, etc.

The charge skillset MUST be in the "charge" action menu. Otherwise it will not work. You can sort of do a pseudo of the skill set by using the formula PA*WP+Y and give it ct time and increase the power. but the ai tends to be a bit foolish with the ct time and will attempt to do the attack then move canceling the action.

Quote from: "DaveSW"I saw that it was possible to change Defend into a complete skillset, so I was wondering, is it possible to turn Defend into Item, and give it as an inherent support skill to every class? Would that work as easily as I hope, would their be a ton of bugs that I would have to deal with?

Through Zodiac's ARH I believe this is completely possible. I haven't played around with it however. You can check his thread here to find out more details:http://ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=953&start=0
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

DaveSW

Thank you! Everyone here is so damn awesome!  
It is so much fun just tinkering with numbers, this is so cool.
I am awesome.

ffta707

Quote from: "DaveSW"Thank you! Everyone here is so damn awesome!  
It is so much fun just tinkering with numbers, this is so cool.

It was my dream to do all of this, then I found the site. Thanks for the compliment, even though it wasn't me who solved the problem :)

DaveSW

Ok, so new question.  I can't for the life of me find any of my copies of FFT, is ordering from Amazon the best way to go?  The only copies I have right now are on the PSP and PS3, and I don't feel like messing with either system.  Also, I can't seem to get a PSX emulator to run properly, is there some trick to it?  All of the other emulators run automatically...

I have so many ideas for things I want change, but my experience from editing FF6 tells me that I need to test everything, lest I cause a bug and can't find it.
I am awesome.

Mari

Any way of getting it would be fine.
Though if you have an old games shop, that might be best.

As for the psx emulator.
I'd recommend ePSXe.

You'll need your psx bios, you can search google how to extract your bios to your computer.
It's not so hard.

And you'll need plugins. Easy enough to find, also. Just search something like epsxe plugins.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
As the puppeteer pulls His strings,
The fragile doll spreads Her wings.
To dance a ballet as He directs
That is the Curse of the Marionette.

Controlled by a hand far, far above,
Forbidden to care, forbidden to love.
Forever shall She mime what She cannot know,
Until the day She loses her illusory glow.

Propped up on a stilt where wine once stood,
The Marionette is, once more, only wood.
Her glossy eyes have lost their shine,
Her silken hair, turned to twine.

What a fate awaits the poor little doll,
Who dances and runs but cannot stand at all.
And the puppeteer is applauded at the end of every show,
But the audience's joyous response the doll can never know.

I am but a doll on an endless stage,
Dancing for others whilst I slowly age.
My puppeteer sits far above,
Hiding His face behind a white glove.

And when I have aged to nothing but wood,
I will be tucked away in a closet where a doll once stood.
Then, as I gather dust and the world passes by,
I will be forgotten by the vast, blue sky.

DaveSW

Ok. I got ePSXe to run, finally, and it turns out my copy of FFT was ferreted away by my 1-year-old son.  It still works, so now I can begin actually editing the game.  So, uh...  What do you guys recommend as the best way to test changes?  Should I just start a new game each time at 10X speed, or what?

Thanks again for all the help.  I always start off as a completely useless milksop, but give it a year, and I will be a major asset, I promise!
I am awesome.