• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

September 20, 2024, 06:25:34 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Does anyone know how to become a video game tester?

Started by Oblivion, July 08, 2010, 08:49:52 pm

Oblivion

I've searched around on the net and haven't found any straight forward info about how to become one. It seems like a freelance position that involves you talking to companies about beta testing their games, but I'm still unsure. I know it isn't suppose to be as easy as it sounds but I'm pretty damn knowledgeable about video games, computers, and what not so I think I can handle it.

Anyways is anyone here a game tester or does any know how to become one?
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

Dome

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Vanya

The best way to do that is to know someone that works for a game developer.
Those jobs are very highly coveted. Also, they have thinned out a bit due to things like open beta testing or just making the development staff do it themselves.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Eat_an_Octorok

You should realize that not only does being a tester pay bad, due to low requirements for employment, but it sucks. Imagine playing through a game's part 80 times to find 1 glitch and that's the life of a game tester.

BloodyBlade

Oblivion

BloodyBlade

But if you are really interested in Testing, I guess going taking college classes like Game Simulation and programming may help. I tried that but I wasnt interested since I like tutoring in Algebra. So I am going to teach math soon.

Smash

I also craved the job when I was a kid.."Like, holy shit, free games and u get paid, that's it!!"

yet, the best thing one could do to get close to it, is to be a developer oneself.

Oblivion

VampragonLord

15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

SentinalBlade

Quote from: "BloodyBlade"But if you are really interested in Testing, I guess going taking college classes like Game Simulation and programming may help. I tried that but I wasnt interested since I like tutoring in Algebra. So I am going to teach math soon.

That is actually a course on how to program video games, not test them. Granted you will need to learn to look for glitches and things when you make them. But if you take the course to become a programmer, why take a job as a tester?

There is actually some courses out there that TEACH you how to test games. Its tedious, mindless, and most of the time, you need a degree. They make 8-20$ an hour, on average its 15$... And unless you are REALLY good at networking, you wont get a job. Drake managed to put in 78 hours of work, in 3 months... he had tested Gears of War, and Grand theft auto: San Andreas. He made roughly 1060$ in 3 months. Unless you are living at home with your mom, are not going to college, are not paying rent, do not need to put gas in your car....then I would look for a job at gas station.

Recently, when talking to EA, Assassin's Creed 2 had about 28 Qualified(meaning kids with a degree) testers, and 10 "out of the hat" testers(not counting people who were playing it that were family and friends) They didn't answer my question on how many discs were sent out as a form of "open beta".